By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo makes better video games than everyone else

Twilord said:
Figgycal said:
Twilord said:
Figgycal said:
RolStoppable said:
ryuzaki57 said:
RolStoppable said:

People put their money towards the best games.

Then Call of Duty Ghosts is light years better than 3D World

Not true, because SM3DW sold better than CoD:G on the Wii U. However, it's true that CoD:G is seen as one of the best available games on other consoles.

Oh, I see what you mean now. But you're completely ignoring the demographics of Nintendo consoles vs PS and Xbox.

You're also using the sales = quality argument oft used by toastboy.

Wait, did ou edit your post? I went to reply to a question that isn't there anymore about PS and Xbox managing to have really good selling first and third party games.

I like the theory of "Nintendo games are in a league of their own"... makes me less terrified as an indie-in-the-making and feel that I can put my games on the Playstation for profit and Wii-U/3DS for the sheer art of it.

Sorry. Didn't want to be scatter brained.

You can go ahead. I won't stop you.  --> I hope that wasn't the answer...

Actually my answer is a bit more precisely aimed at that question. You see Sony and Microsoft, for all their great series, haven't made a point of having quite the same 'active' back-catalogue of franchises Nintendo's built up over the years.

Firstly I'd need to make a point of Nintendo's track record of high-quality delivery of games and the fact their series are often consider 'the basis of genres' (not that their games are alone in that ofcourse, many historical games like Final Fantasy and GTA are known as that as well). This means that players know exactly what they're getting and can have alot of faith it'll be great. This makes less "certainly great" games suffer more than they would without the rivalry.

Secondly I'd need to make reference to the number of franchises they have which each only see a release every five-twelve years or so.  I mean the likes of Kart and Smash are 'once in a generation releases' and as such remain 'evergreen titles' with a living playerbase for much longer than alot of third-party games. This can ultimately make them seem more tempting than other titles for multiplayer centered gamers , which drives there sales up and sadly that results in its rivals being pushed down. 

Nintendo's big problem, in my view, is that they are a producer of a much larger number of high-quality high-profile games. Not to say that things like Halo, Uncharted, and both GoWs (heh, I love that abbreviation), aren't great but Nintendo's number of franchises are crazy.- I have a ton of ideas for gamepad based games such as a dungeon crawling real-time tactial roleplaying game (think Fire-Emblem meets Zelda, with Fire-Emblem's overworld); problem is I would not put a game on Nintendo for less than 'artistic' reasons, for all their new skill with dealing with indies Sony and Steam still seem more likely to profitable for me.

Ultimately it all goes back to Sony's being easier to work with and not having any intimidating IPs back when the PS1 came out. Nintendo had to choose between becoming insular or accomodating. They decided back then to rely on their own skills and reputation, making themselves more intimidating to third-parties, this began a near infinite loop of sorts. They are working on getting out of that loop but its not quite an easy trend to break. 

To be fair its only about sixty-percent Nintendo's fault, third parties have made a habit of cheaping out on Nintendo ports in alot of cases, the end result of which has left many Nintendo heavy gamers in a position where they are heavily suspicious of third parties and resulted in most multi-platform gamers buying the versions not on Nintendo.

They make great iconic games, this is their gift, this is their curse, they are Nintendo.

Okay. Fair enough.

Rol still made the argument that sales=quality in the OP.

I agree that third parties are intimidated by Nintendo. But I also think that the differences in the audience of Nintendo games vs those of PlayStation and Xbox are vastly different-- I think that has a bigger influence on why Nintendo games sell so well.

Around the Network

Actually, if we're to gauge quality based on how much money a game has made, World of Warcraft is the clear winner.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Mario kart wii is still making money people love nintendo games

You can't argue with factual evidence. This thread should have ended with the OP. Nintendo makes the best games, period.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

That's a funny thread to create, because I don't remember Nintendo making Doom, Final Fantasy series, Half-Life, CS, TF series, Street Fighter 2 etc., GTA series, Contra, Castlevania series, Gran Turismo series and there's a few more.

They fail at FPS, Fighting games, realistic physics racing games. It took them many years to copy the success of SF2 and racing games to create SSB. They need an FPS. MK and F-Zero are nice yet their games physics are childs play compared to the GT series.

Nintendo was important in the 80's and early 90's but after the SNES/M64/Ocarina they have stagnated. Don't get me wrong I loved SMG, POutWii but they're a very boring company today. Look at the Wii U for your proof.

Around the Network

It hurts to say but there is no way I can call the results valid.

It's like, Playstation and Xbox are cable and Nintendo is over the air broadcasting. If you have the highest rated show with 187 other channels against you, wow. That's impressive. If you have the highest rated show with 4 other channels against ... well, yeah.

Nintendo often misses out on third-party software. Right? I've heard a lot of people get angry over that. Nintendo often gets gimped versions. Right? I've heard a lot of people get angry over that. I've also heard people get angry over late ports and spin-offs that aren't as good as the original.

Basically, Nintendo software is Glee facing off against The Mindy Project and America's Next Top Model. Goodness, Nintendo wins against competition like that? Who knew.

Flawless reasoning.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

100% agreed

Also, I read somewhere (google it) that Nintendo has the least amount of used games compared to Sony and MS first party games

That's understandable.  Playstation and Xbox gamers have so many new games to play that they have to sell games they beat in order to buy new ones.  Nintendo owners have like a really long time to save up between purchases.

According to my calculations, the average Wii U owner should have saved up $231 dollars to put toward games by the time DKC releases.  It must be nice ...

jonathanalis said:
metacritic agrres with you.

And we all know western game critics have such great taste.

"Sales don't equal quality!"

There, I said it.