By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Kingdoms of Amalur: ohmygosh i didnt think it was that cool.

Its really awesome. Reminded me of fable lost chapters. This game deserved more sales.

Around the Network

Agreed with above. Awesome game that doesn't get enough recognition. Skyrim for dummies.

It's all about the game.

I really regret not downloading the game when it was free on PS+. It totally slipped my mind. Might buy it later but my backlog is too big right now.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

I think it's a good game. The story and characters aren't as interesting as they should be, but the combat is fun, and the way you can tailor the combat to your playstyle is fantastic.

It's a shame but the game was probably just too big and too ambitious. With a new IP, they probably should have scale things down by a good margin, established the franchise, then expanded with the sequel.

People always want to blame the "AAA model" for everything but with Kingdoms of Amalur, I think the studio itself bears most of the fault. Requiring three million copies sold just to break even is too much to ask with a new IP. I'm sure it's well over the 2M mark, which should be pretty good, just not when the game was this expensive to create.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
It's a shame but the game was probably just too big and too ambitious. With a new IP, they probably should have scale things down by a good margin, established the franchise, then expanded with the sequel.

People always want to blame the "AAA model" for everything but with Kingdoms of Amalur, I think the studio itself bears most of the fault. Requiring three million copies sold just to break even is too much to ask with a new IP. I'm sure it's well over the 2M mark, which should be pretty good, just not when the game was this expensive to create.

This is definitely all down to the studio.  They formed in 2006, using a $75M loan to start off with.  It took them ~6 years to make the game, which was 3 years too many.  Just another classic case of poor money and time management.

I also agree with your early complaint about it being too big.  I just remember thinking the map was a pretty good size, that was until I realized that it was just the zoomed in map.  Later, the games opens up something fierce.  It's like while developing it they saw Oblivion, and then later Skyrim, release and said "We have to go bigger than we were before."  Which really wasn't necessary.  I think if this game had released in 2009, things would have turned out MUCH better for the game and studio.

Edit: I mean just look at the size of this thing.  Even Dalentarth alone is kinda pushing it for how large a game world should be.

Tried it, it was too action oriented for my taste, I like a slower pace and more tactics in RPG's. That said, it has some decent writing and the animations are really good. Zero points for original locations though; they run through all the cliches and then some.

It seems like a decent game but I don't it was made for me.

pokoko said:

I dropped a lot of hours into Amalur. It's a good game and the amount of work they put into it is amazing.

My complaint? The game is too big. That sounds odd to say about an RPG but, honestly, I just ran out of steam trying to do all the quests. I wanted to see and do everything, which is simple at first, but when all the different zones open up, it's just too massive. There was still a third of the first continent left unexplored when I cleared the storyline events to go to the next. There is a point where you can open the way forward by going north or south, both will get you where you need to go, but the kind of player I am, I decided to do both. By the time I was done, I was overpowered and my enthusiasm for the game-play was gone. I got bored and moved on to other games without leaving for the next area. I'm a bit sad about that.

The game file is also so massive that I can't imagine downloading it again. I had to delete a ton of stuff from my PS3 and it took like a full night and half a day to finish.

The developers should have made the game smaller, to be honest. They could have saved a LOT of money, as the north and south use totally different assets.

Loading times were also beastly on the PS3. It's a shame there won't be a sequel on next gen, as the game could really have benefited from all that RAM. I would hate to know how much time I wasted looking at loading screens. What I REALLY hated, though, was going into cities. EACH TIME you zone in and out of an area in the city, you HAVE TO WATCH a panoramic cut-scene of the landscape. That's even if you just pop into a tavern to buy a potion; when you come out, cut-scene. Worst decision ever.

It's really a shame there won't be more, though. I'm sure they would have learned a lot from the first game and made it even better. It's a high-quality franchise and an entertaining game.

Edit:  Oh, and I want to mention Blacksmithing.  It's fun and addicting.  I liked that a whole lot.  I was constantly breaking stuff in order to make more gear.  Unfortunately, it's also mega-overpowered.  Max level Blacksmithing is like having 5-10 levels over your enemies.  Find some really good weapon parts and you will SLAY.  Very rarely will you find a weapon in the wild as good as what you can craft--and if you do, you can break it down and make something even stronger, especially with high-level gem crafting.

What i feel about many games, i stopped playing amalur/dragons dogma/skyrim because of this. I did put houndreds of hours into them combined but i which i had the ability to finish them all completely. 

pokoko said:

That wasnt because of the single player game. It was because of the MMO they were developing sideways. The game was supposed (or so they hoped) to make them stay afloat for developing both.

Their plan was always to make an MMO. They made the single player game to recoup from the debt they were contracting.

I love that game for the battle system alone, but I ended up putting it down to get to other games. Definitely one of the best action/open-world RPG's I've ever played.

EDIT: I will say that the game content is too much for the move/skill list. I think they had a solid sized game and just started throwing in random quests and areas without building on the character progression. If you do every side mission before the main stry missions you'll quickly become a God in that game. Also, don't make the mistake of entering a new area just to explore. The game will lock the enemy levels in that area to the lowest tier making things even easier.

I am the Playstation Avenger.