By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pitch your ideas to Sony for the next handheld concept

The problem with Vita is Sony has an overwhelming passion with it. They are trying to create a PS3 on the go but this is not what people want, which is clear from the more popular Nintendo platforms, which are inferior but also simpler, as well as the immensely popular mobile platforms.

Sony needs to create a digital only, reasonably powerful but simple handheld, with roughly the power of an ipad, similar to IOS but access to a closed Sony Market, with big budget games, that are sold at larger price tags, but still open to discount, more like STEAM style. Basically a Steam-like digital only handheld platform would be perfect for Sony.

The handheld's architecture needs to be based on arm, and be compatible across generations, and the users should be able to pass on their purchases from one generation to another, again IOS style. In ipad, once you buy a game, you can play it on all your future ipads. The device needs to include a touch screen but that shouldn't be the focus, with more traditional yet simplistic controls. In essence, keep things as simple as possible.

One further point to think about is compatibility across generation and hardware renewal. Sony should renew the hardware every year or two, but keep the older one around as a cheaper alternative. It should be up to the developers which model to target, and they usually would end up targeting the lowest common denominator, simply to reach the widest audience or simply because they don't need that extra power, provided in the latest rehash.

In Summary, Sony needs to create a simple, convenient, digital only console, which unites the good parts of steam and ios platforms, with annual or biannual yearly hardware updates that are compatible across generations. This way, you'll create "consumer lock-in and loyalty" with a gradually evolving hardware platform.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Around the Network

LOL don't make one! If anything, they should consider a new Xperia Play 2 with actual PSP-Go like analog sticks. Otherwise there is no point...

curl-6 said:
brendude13 said:
curl-6 said:

With the market shrinking, I wouldn't think it'll be viable by the time Vita's due to be replaced.

True. I think it'd be best if they didn't replace and just try to support it for as long as possible, no need to release a successor.

If they can get to the point where they're making money on the hardware, (are they there yet?) I'd continue it as long as possible if I were them; ride it out and make a little cash on the side.

I believe they were before the massive price cuts during the holidays. I reckon the slim will be profitable when released in the West though.

freedquaker said:
The problem with Vita is Sony has an overwhelming passion with it.

If you want people to read your comment in its entirety, don't start with that.

brendude13 said:

freedquaker said:

what's wrong with it?

Around the Network
freedquaker said:
brendude13 said:

freedquaker said:

what's wrong with it?

Because, far from passion, Sony show an alarming neglect towards the Vita.

curl-6 said:
freedquaker said:
brendude13 said:

freedquaker said:

what's wrong with it?

You got it wrong, maybe you should have read the entire post first. With overwhelming passion, I am referring to the fact that the Vita has been just "too much"...

a) too bulky

b) too expensive

c) too many controller inputs (back and forward touch, double analog etc...)

d) too complicated

e) too powerfull

f) too short on battery life

etc...

So Sony just need to keep things as "simple", "convenient", "hassle-free", and "affordable".

freedquaker said:
curl-6 said:
freedquaker said:
brendude13 said:

freedquaker said:

what's wrong with it?

You got it wrong, maybe you should have read the entire post first. With overwhelming passion, I am referring to the fact that the Vita has been just "too much"...

a) too bulky

b) too expensive

c) too many controller inputs (back and forward touch, double analog etc...)

d) too complicated

e) too powerfull

f) too short on battery life

etc...

So Sony just need to keep things as "simple", "convenient", "hassle-free", and "affordable".

That was fredquaker's point though, that people will be less likely to tak your post seriously or read the whole thing based on the opening sentence. ;)

I think exactly like TC.

Join android and do a psp/xperia play.

At the time, the PSP Go was perfect. Any that disagrees just didn't know how to fully use it.

If Sony created a similar handheld to the PSP Go (but of course more powerful and higher res) and add a slot for physical games, have their current PSN online features, and the ability to connect up to 4 controllers (instead of just 1) on the device for local gaming then that'd be the perfect console.