By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 has sold 10.5M units according to AP.

drkohler said:
This is kind of a pointless discussion. Had Sony really sold 10.5M units to end users by end of 2007, they would have been in range of their original 11M forecast by end of fiscal year (and they would have made _a lot_ of noise about that success). The fact that Sony reduced their goal to 9M immediately proves that the 10.5M units is sold to distributors. End of discussion.

Your conclusion is correct, but your first premise isn't. The 11 M forecast was for the fiscal year only, i.e. it didn't include the ~3.5 million PS3s which were shipped before the current fiscal year. Even if Sony had sold 10.5 M to consumers by the end of 2007, it doesn't mean they'd reach that goal.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
finalsquall said:
@ total... sure the ps3 interest me and the wii doesn't. But I am a fan of VGC. I believe VGC to be a good basis of sales for consoles. So when it comes to people putting down VGC numbers - I always side with VGC even for the wii. So your little story would fail ... sorry.

It shouldn't matter if a person has intentions to annoy or stirr stuff. Why can't we be bigger people. Anyways, if he was trying to annoy people, why does he only have 2 post. If it were me, I'd be causing havok if my intention was to piss people off. I think he was being ligit. This is all imo.

Ha, I think my story would stand but it unfortunately, it can't be tested. Secondly, well it involves the PS3 and my stance on VGChartz but I don't want go into it right now (I like the PS3, btw, it doesn't interest me as much but I like it)

But to discuss your point:

"It shouldn't matter if a person has intentions to annoy or stirr stuff"

So if a person joins VGChartz for the sole purpose of trolling and flaming, we should just grin and smile through our teeth? Or how about the recent spammer-he created all of those accounts just to annoy everyone here. We're suppose to welcome him? We can be bigger people. If a Sony fanboy joins in and his first post is a prediction that it will dominate this generation, I will welcome him. Of course, that doesn't mean he won't be subjected to rebuttal from the Wii fanboys. It's a forum, after all, but he'll still be welcome (I expect it will come from you and you'll probably come to his aid. No one has a problem with that)

"Anyways, if he was trying to annoy people, why does he only have 2 post."

See, that's the point. The sole purpose of creating the account was to say VGChartz is wrong. I don't think he plans on ever posting again or he will just post more stuff like that. Can you really say he actually joined if that's all he plans on doing? If so, why should he be welcome? But hey, maybe he really is legit, so Welcome to VGChartz, Willow. 

I've spent a lot more time than I should have defending VG Chartz. But after how laughably wrong they were on the January hardware sales numbers combined with a brand new, stubborn refusal to adjust the numbers, I'm losing my faith here.

In business terms "being in range" = give or take 10%.

With 10.5M sold, 13 weeks ahead and increasing demand due to blu-ray, they would have reached 13M, completely in range of the 14M target.

Anyway, VGChartz underestimates PS3 sales, lets see NPD figures, and VGChartz doesn't update... :(

Around the Network
Deviation59 said:
I've spent a lot more time than I should have defending VG Chartz. But after how laughably wrong they were on the January hardware sales numbers combined with a brand new, stubborn refusal to adjust the numbers, I'm losing my faith here.

You have been on this long enough to know, that the adjustments that need to be made, will be made. Sometimes it takes a little more time. Besides, the trend has been that the numbers are changed next week, when numbers are changed anyway. And i wouldn't call it ridiculous, so far only the North-American numbers have been off, and from those numbers, (if i recall the numbers) only DS and PS3 were out of "acceptable".

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

i think thats 10.5 mil shipped

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

It's sad they think their estimates are better than official figures :(

hardstyle said:

sad because it's the ps3 huh..

anyways, ioi will adjust figures once american data comes in, or in other words, tomorrow evening 

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

hardstyle said:

Umm... Who thinks? And what numbers?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.