By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Amazon changes Uncharted 4 PS4 release date from 2014 to 2015

Blood_Tears said:
jlmurph2 said:
Blood_Tears said:
Makes sense for 2015 anyways since X1 doesn't have any system sellers for this holiday besides a game that came out in 2004..

If you're going from the rumors then X1 has Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break for holiday. Not system sellers but are looking to be decent releases.

Yeah exactly, that's all I meant by system sellers. The titanfall trigger is being pulled for March and that's it for major console movers unless we get more info at E3.  Also, those games above might be decent releases critically but commercially I'm not sure on that one. Insominiac is in a rough spot these days and can't seem to hit good quality in the last few years and this being a new studio for Xbox fans I'm not sure if there going to buy it. It's only talked about in forums mainly because it's an exclusive for list wars. QB could go either way, some were not impressed from the VGX video that was shown either. Alan Wake was a top notch and great game, heavily hyped as well and no one bought that game until it was bundled a few years later during the holidays.

But back on track, Sony doesn't need an Uncharted right now. There is plenty of 3rd party support along with The Order, Deep Down, Drive Club is rumored to be what Q3 or 4 now?  With all these leaks recently, Sony would be wise to watch what comes from MS at E3 and counter accordingly.

Deep Down's a F2P right? Don't see much coming from it. The Order could go either way without knowing too much from it. And Drive Club with a PS+ edition would be competing with Forza Horizon 2.

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:
Did anyone really expect 2014?

I expected 2014 release. :( :(

mibuokami said:
Raven722 said:

If The Order launched in August or so and Uncharted launched in November that's not going to cause a sales issue. The bulk of The Orders sales would have likely already happened by the time Uncharted launched and at a far enough space apart where people could easily afford both. Even with that, I still don't think that their moderate similarities would be cause for concern considering that one seems far more angled at intense shooting action while the other is much more platform-based with some puzzle solving and much less focus on gunplay. If I were making the call I would pull the trigger and have them both release within a few months of each other. Gears of War and Tomb Raider don't play anything like each other and most people will see that right off the bat. They're not going to go, "Nope. The camera is third person just like that other game plus it has heavy cinematic elements too. They play a lot differently but it's the same thing".

Regardless of our opinions , 3rd person shooter element are a BIG part of Uncharted and looks to be a big part of The Order. They will LOOK the same to the uninformed, and games will still need those type of customers to be successful.

So I would just like to point out that once again; no publisher releases two games with such blatant similiarities within 3 months of each other unless they have no faith in one of them. 

Seems we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this.

Naughty Dog are not only extremely talented developers, but they also work very quickly and pride themselves on hitting deadlines. The studio has never had longer than 2 years between big releases in 20 years.

The big question is, how has the splitting of the teams effected overall productivity, headcount for each team and their pipeline?

For example lets say both teams follow a similar pattern to last gen with a 3 year development cycle to begin with, followed by 2 year cycles. Then it will look something like this:

Holiday 2014: Uncharted 4
Summer 2016: TLOU2/New IP
Holiday 2016: Uncharted 5

So something has to be staggered, or one team is smaller and takes longer.

Something like:
2015-Uncharted 4
2016-TLOU/New IP
2017-Uncharted 5

Seems to make more sense, and it also gives something like The Order a chance not to be overshadowed by what is now a very big and established franchise. If Uncharted is 2015 though, it will be on a different level even from what we've come to expect from ND as a 4 year cycle will exist between releases for 1 team. Which has never happened before.

The only other alternatives I can think of is both teams want longer development times and there will exist a 3 year gap between releases from both teams. So, 2014,2016,2017,2019,2020 etc. If they split the work between the teams though, my theory is completely out the window. It could easily then be 2014, 2016, 2018, 2020.

/rant /wild musings.

jlmurph2 said:
Blood_Tears said:
jlmurph2 said:
Blood_Tears said:
Makes sense for 2015 anyways since X1 doesn't have any system sellers for this holiday besides a game that came out in 2004..

If you're going from the rumors then X1 has Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break for holiday. Not system sellers but are looking to be decent releases.

Yeah exactly, that's all I meant by system sellers. The titanfall trigger is being pulled for March and that's it for major console movers unless we get more info at E3.  Also, those games above might be decent releases critically but commercially I'm not sure on that one. Insominiac is in a rough spot these days and can't seem to hit good quality in the last few years and this being a new studio for Xbox fans I'm not sure if there going to buy it. It's only talked about in forums mainly because it's an exclusive for list wars. QB could go either way, some were not impressed from the VGX video that was shown either. Alan Wake was a top notch and great game, heavily hyped as well and no one bought that game until it was bundled a few years later during the holidays.

But back on track, Sony doesn't need an Uncharted right now. There is plenty of 3rd party support along with The Order, Deep Down, Drive Club is rumored to be what Q3 or 4 now?  With all these leaks recently, Sony would be wise to watch what comes from MS at E3 and counter accordingly.

Deep Down's a F2P right? Don't see much coming from it. The Order could go either way without knowing too much from it. And Drive Club with a PS+ edition would be competing with Forza Horizon 2.

Yeah, Deep Down is a F2P. However, if the game does really well and gets good exposure it could be a big deal. Though considering it's a Capcom game and F2P titles rarely make waves it's easy to be very skeptical.

The Order is getting enough hype right now with little revealed and with it seeming like Sony's shot at a Gears of War kind of game it could do very well commercially if Sony really tries to promote it.

Yes, Driveclub would be competing with Forza Horizon 2 while having some kind of PS+ Starter Edition but if Driveclub releases early enough and is received well it could put Forza Horizon 2 at a bit of a disadvantage. The previous title didn't do nearly as well as the main series and Forza Motorsport 5 probably left a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of fans. Not that it was a bad game but it wasn't nearly as good as previous entries.

Something that everyone should also keep in mind is that nothing is set in stone until these games are in our hands and there is plenty of time for both Sony and Microsoft to announce other titles to release later this year. We already know that there are projects Sony hasn't announced yet such as whatever the project nDreams is working on which they've said will release this year and we're hearing somewhat credible rumors that Forza Horizon 2 is coming this year despite not having actually been announced yet. Any number of games could be revealed between now and E3 and don't doubt that both companies would be willing to release these games with only a few months notice.

Around the Network

Uncharted DF came out ~12 months after PS3 launch, so Nov 2014 for Uncharted 4 sounds perfect.

Raven722 said:
jlmurph2 said:
Blood_Tears said:
jlmurph2 said:
Blood_Tears said:

Yeah, Deep Down is a F2P. However, if the game does really well and gets good exposure it could be a big deal. Though considering it's a Capcom game and F2P titles rarely make waves it's easy to be very skeptical.

The Order is getting enough hype right now with little revealed and with it seeming like Sony's shot at a Gears of War kind of game it could do very well commercially if Sony really tries to promote it.

Yes, Driveclub would be competing with Forza Horizon 2 while having some kind of PS+ Starter Edition but if Driveclub releases early enough and is received well it could put Forza Horizon 2 at a bit of a disadvantage. The previous title didn't do nearly as well as the main series and Forza Motorsport 5 probably left a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of fans. Not that it was a bad game but it wasn't nearly as good as previous entries.

Something that everyone should also keep in mind is that nothing is set in stone until these games are in our hands and there is plenty of time for both Sony and Microsoft to announce other titles to release later this year. We already know that there are projects Sony hasn't announced yet such as whatever the project nDreams is working on which they've said will release this year and we're hearing somewhat credible rumors that Forza Horizon 2 is coming this year despite not having actually been announced yet. Any number of games could be revealed between now and E3 and don't doubt that both companies would be willing to release these games with only a few months notice.

Pretty good points. I agree that we have no idea what these companies have up their sleeves.

shikamaru317 said:
cura said:
shikamaru317 said:
cura said:
shikamaru317 said:
Raven722 said:
shikamaru317 said:
jlmurph2 said:
Did anyone really expect 2014?

I never did, seemed like wishful thinking, Holiday 2014 is only a year and a half from the release of The Last Of Us, even if they had a team working on Uncharted 4 before The Last of Us was finished, and the full TLOU dev team switched over to Uncharted 4 after TLOU's release (which obviously couldn't have happened because they did multiplayer and a singleplayer DLC which still isn't finished), a Hliday 2014 release would be very difficult to make.

Again, Naughty Dog runs two full teams. They were working on The Last of Us and Uncharted 3 at the same time.

Even so, with their rumored employee count, a 50/50 split would make the Uncharted 4 team small enough that a 2014 release would still be difficult to make. 

How do you know that? I'll admit I don't know much about game development but ND has 251~ employees, with a 50/50 split it would mean 100~ for each team. 

Yeah, and I've seen developers in that size range take 2.5-3 years to make games before, which is why I think it'll probably be a 2015 release, maybe Summer 2015.

Despite uncharted 2 releasing 2 years from uncharted 1 and uncharted 3 releasing 2 years from uncharted 2 . ND's history suggests otherwise. 

This will likely be a more ambitious project though, new console, new engine, plus Sony is going to be pushing this as a major PS4 selling point, they're likely going to want both the singleplayer and multiplayer to be bigger than previous titles. I get the feeling that Microsoft is pushing 343 to do the exact same thing with Halo 5, which is likely why we're also hearing rumors of it getting delayed to 2015. 343 has reportedly been working on Halo 5 just as long as Naughty Dog has reportedly been working on Uncharted 4 (since Summer 2012), but 343 has over 300 employees, and as far as we know they're not split into two teams, so if 343 can't make 2014 with nearly 2.5 years dev time and a 300+ man dev team, how is Naughty Dog supposed to do the same thing with a 100-125 man dev team?

Maybe something like efficiency and craftmanship? ND have more than 15 years of history and knowledge, while 343 is still maturing.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Bad move by Sony if its true. They need a big game this year to keep the momentum going.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

I guess there are good reason both for a 2014 and a 2015 launch, so in the end, as HW sales are going quite well, they decided that launching it on an already larger user base would be more profitable than using it as early system seller that isn't by any means desperately needed. BTW, supporting the system, but leaving more room to 3rd parties in PS4's second Xmas (first in Japan) could be perceived as a 3rd party-friendly attitude.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!