By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should/will Sony acquire Ready at Dawn?

With what money?

Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

"I don't debate, I just give you that work"- Ji99saw

Around the Network
artur-fernand said:

But then again, they never bought Insomniac, so who knows.

Great move on Sony's part.  The last few Ratchet and Clank games were pretty awful.  No idea how any of the Resistance games are, but Fuse got a low metacritic score.

RAD prefers to stay private. I don't think money is the question, they just don't want to sell.

Fusioncode said:
kowenicki said:
Whats the fascination with buying studios?

Let them make the game, if its good and it sells then they will support the PS4 again. Why spend millions buying a studio?

So they can continue to develop exclusive games for PS4? Why not? Sony didn't buy Insomniac and now they're making an exclusive game for the XBO. 

I'd see that as Sony dodging a bullet then a missed opportunity, given Insomniacs painful decent into mediocrity over the past decade. They're a large studio too.

It would be better for Sony to focus on smaller, very talented teams. We'll see how The Order turns out, but RAD fit the bill in terms of studios Sony like to pick up.

kupomogli said:
artur-fernand said:

But then again, they never bought Insomniac, so who knows.

Great move on Sony's part.  The last few Ratchet and Clank games were pretty awful.  No idea how any of the Resistance games are, but Fuse got a low metacritic score.

Ratchet Nexus was really quite good, but I think they just had a certain contract fullfillment. The "future series" which was the first 3 upto "a Crack in Time" was brilliant, but then they did a series of average non-traditional Ratchet games. Nexus was a return to the original style, but didn't really offer anything new

The Resistance games were good, but Fuse was the big problem. The other thing to consider is that not many of those games were really commercially succesful, they had to look elsewhere and it didn't really work

Around the Network
JazzB1987 said:
The whole last two gens sony bought every studio making at least a decent game thats their thing (they needed to do that because Sony itself does not have alot of good "own" ip) So my answer is they probably will.

With buying all those devs sony made itself an important player in the console business before that it was just a platform with people buying third party games.

Is there a problem with that? Those companies worked close with Sony and agreed to become an official member of the Playstation family when the opportunity was given to them.

And pretty much all of Sony's IPs are and were "good". Unless you are talking about all of them not selling 10 milliin each or something

Dallinor said:
Fusioncode said:

So they can continue to develop exclusive games for PS4? Why not? Sony didn't buy Insomniac and now they're making an exclusive game for the XBO. 

I'd see that as Sony dodging a bullet then a missed opportunity, given Insomniacs painful decent into mediocrity over the past decade. They're a large studio too.

It would be better for Sony to focus on smaller, very talented teams. We'll see how The Order turns out, but RAD fit the bill in terms of studios Sony like to pick up.

While I agree that Insomniac is certainly declining (while ND show their true quality), Sony isn't really buying that small studios. In fact, they're expanding all their internal studios. ND has gone 2 teams, Guerllia is pretty big, SCE Santa Monica is pretty large too. Sucker Punch is quite small, but expanding rapidly.

If anything, Sony are trying to get a smaller portpholio of larger studios

vivster said:
They will acquire them as soon as they try to do something non playstation.

This doesn't make much sense. If a company working close with Sony wants to stay independent, then they will stay independent( ThatGameCompany and Insomniac for example). A company just can't jump up and acquire a studio if they express that they want to work on other platforms.

They can't be like "oh no, bitch! You aren't going ANYWHERE!"

Ready at Dawn is always very interested in Sony, they will be like Second party for some time and Sony will get them as soon as they get better financially.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

vivster said:
They will acquire them as soon as they try to do something non playstation.

the port of Okami for the Wii soon? or the next time :P