By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should/will Sony acquire Ready at Dawn?

cura said:
ironmanDX said:
When was the last time Sony bought a dev company?

Should have grabbed them earlier, they had talent and not so much reputation.

I'm not sure if it's their most recent purchase, but Sony bought Sucker Punch (infamous series) in August 2011 and they bough Media Molecule in March 2010 I think. 

sucker punch in mid 2011, right after infamous 2 released.

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
When was the last time Sony bought a dev company?

Should have grabbed them earlier, they had talent and not so much reputation.

you know, for Sony to buy RaD, RaD would have to want to be bought. so unless both parties agree and want it to do it, it wont happen. as for the possibility of it happening? i would say a 50/50 chance. 

the founders of the company certainly dont want to expand into multi-team devs, they want to remain as small as possible while still reaching their ambition. that means that 1- they wont do multiplate games, just develop games for a single console and 2- they dont want to drastically expand and become more than one team like ND and Guerilla Games and other Sony devs. 

They also said they like being indepedent and want to remain so, but they also hinted at being bought by sony in the game informer reveal when they said they are a one platform studio, always have been, are now and have a feeling they will remain so in the future. so again, you never know.

one thing is for sure, they would be a great addition to Sony's first party studios. Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, PolyPhony Digital, media Molecule, Guerrilla Games, Sony Bend, Japan Studio, Geurrilla Campridge and add to that Ready At Dawn and you got yourself an unstoppable first party dev team right their. 

I hope so Sony buys RaD, very talented studio. I also hope Sony buys Housemarque.

I bet they're already made a deal with them over The Order's success.

kowenicki said:
Whats the fascination with buying studios?

Let them make the game, if its good and it sells then they will support the PS4 again. Why spend millions buying a studio?

Maybe you should think and you'll understand why Sony buys studio's.

Around the Network

It depends what Ready at Dawn want, I saw some coverage of them and they talked about the importance of staying independent. But then again, Naughty Dog rave about how independently they can act despite Sony's backing and many of RaD's employees were ex-ND

The thing is, given the ramping up for the PS4 exclusive, from working on a handheld game to a console game a lot of investment will be needed. One would assume that Sony have some sort of multi game contract in place to protect their investment

But it would be nice to have a trio of top quality LA studios in Naughty Dog, Ready at Dawn and SCE Santa Monica

They probably just have 2nd party exclusivity contracts. It wouldn't make sense to buy the studios while these agreements are running. After they are done, then it's another story.

Munkeh111 said:
It depends what Ready at Dawn want, I saw some coverage of them and they talked about the importance of staying independent. But then again, Naughty Dog rave about how independently they can act despite Sony's backing and many of RaD's employees were ex-ND

The thing is, given the ramping up for the PS4 exclusive, from working on a handheld game to a console game a lot of investment will be needed. One would assume that Sony have some sort of multi game contract in place to protect their investment

But it would be nice to have a trio of top quality LA studios in Naughty Dog, Ready at Dawn and SCE Santa Monica

well RaD didnt hint at The Order being a franchise, meaning it would have sequels, so since Sony owns the IP that could mean RaD would have to stay with sony to make the sequels. 

Yes.

bananaking21 said:
Munkeh111 said:

well RaD didnt hint at The Order being a franchise, meaning it would have sequels, so since Sony owns the IP that could mean RaD would have to stay with sony to make the sequels. 

Well you would hope there is something in writing rather than just control over the IP