By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U 'Quick Boot Update' basically a bait and switch /smoke and mirrors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh1WLLKUm7I

This is the promised 'Quick Boot' mode for Wii U.

What I'm seeing is that it gives you the illusion of speed by instantly giving you icons to choose your game, then taking the normal amount of time to boot the system and launch the game. I see no or at best negligable improvement from booting, then waiting for the menu and choosing your game. 

I was hoping, when they called it 'quick boot,' that it would make the system boot up faster. 

Around the Network

Looked fast enough to me.

Well, no army of Miis comes running out of my TV screen so that's fine.

I was high on mushrooms, though.

JoeTheBro said:
Looked fast enough to me.

I'm just saying: I own a Wii, and that's no faster than it loads now. It's just in a different order. It gives the user the impression they are in control earlier, then takes the same amount of time to load.

It's like buttons at crosswalks that don't really do anything - it gives an illusion to someone who isn't thinking about it very closely.

VitroBahllee said:

What I'm seeing is that it gives you the illusion of speed by instantly giving you icons to choose your game, then taking the normal amount of time to boot the system and launch the game. I see no or at best negligable improvement from booting, then waiting for the menu and choosing your game. 

I was hoping, when they called it 'quick boot,' that it would make the system boot up faster. 

What you're calling quick boot is essentially a software problem and isn't a feature. That would be done in a random update( if its possible) and listed in the update notes not teased as a feature

My Hummingbird

3DS Friend Code: 047387541842

Around the Network
AstroGamer said:
VitroBahllee said:

What you're calling quick boot is essentially a software problem and isn't a feature. That would be done in a random update( if its possible) and listed in the update notes not teased as a feature

What the heck does your post even mean?

They just presented this video at the investor meeting as a new 'quick boot' feature.

I don't like it.

VitroBahllee said:

They just presented this video at the investor meeting as a new 'quick boot' feature.

My post means that booting into a game faster isn't something you are going to advertise, you put it in the update notes. This quick boot just skips the miiverse plaza. If you directly compared the booting times, its likely that the time from pressing power is shorter in the quick boot mode

My Hummingbird

3DS Friend Code: 047387541842

Well, it certainly isn't like Xbox One or PS4 (I assume) but it's definitely faster than my Xbox 360. 34 seconds ain't bad, is it?

*edit* then again, I do have mine set to go to the dashboard.  I like to see what's new in the world.  Personally, I don't mind the current speed of the Wii U.  I just wish they went with a different interface.  The current one just seems too simple.  I hope they can update that one day.

AstroGamer said:
VitroBahllee said:

My post means that booting into a game faster isn't something you are going to advertise, you put it in the update notes. This quick boot just skips the miiverse plaza. If you directly compared the booting times, its likely that the time from pressing power is shorter in the quick boot mode

They thought it was so important of a point that they showed it at their investor's meeting to try to impress investors.  Do you understand the context of this video? They thought it was so impressive that it would placate angry investors.