By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA treating Titanfall like a smaller product due to PC/Xbox exclusivity

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/titanfall/news/titanfall_expectations_conservative_dlc_in_production.html

Titanfall expectations 'conservative', DLC in production

EA treating shooter as a 'smaller overall product' due to Xbox/PC exclusivity.

By David Scammell (@VG_Dave) On 29th Jan, 2014 at 10:22am

EA's expectations for Titanfall aren't as high as some of its other releases due to its exclusivity to Xbox and PC platforms, CFO Blake Jorgensen has said.

"I guess I would call it conservative," Jorgensen commented when asked how well he expects the title to perform during during the publisher's Q3 FY14 briefing last night.

"We, as a reminder, Titanfall is just on Xbox One and Xbox 360 and the PC. And so by that nature, it's smaller as an overall product. We're very excited about the product. Respawn has done an amazing job with it. But as a reminder, also, we'll be shipping it the tail end of the quarter, middle of March. And so essentially, the March revenue or the quarter revenue is primarily the first sell-in of that title."

Nevertheless, Jorgensen believes the title will be "very additive" throughout the rest of 2014. "But it's really a starting point in Q4 this year and then we'll play well into next year as more and more people build the base of Xbox Ones or build or play the title either on 360 or PC."

Part of that additional revenue, no doubt, will come from the sale of DLC, which CEO Andrew Wilson teases is already in production.

"We're planning extra content already for the product," he said, "but in the nature of the live service, I think that, that will evolve over time as we see how the player base evolves through the year."

Wilson's comments suggest that plans for the DLC may not yet be concrete, with the possibility of different types of content being delivered based on initial player response.

Whatever form the DLC takes, though, it won't be delivered via microtransactions.

Titanfall launches on Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC on March 14. Details on an Xbox One and PC beta are expected to be announced very soon.

Source: seekingalpha.com

People expecting halo, or cod sales need to keep expectations in check.

Around the Network

very strange that anyone involved in the project would say something like this about it. "keep expectations in check" what is that meant to mean?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I'm still undecided on this game, no single player is almost a deal breaker for me. The game does look fascinating though.

So when you said 'smaller product' out of context in the title, what you actually meant to say was that an EA exec had made the entirely obvious point that being a new IP on fewer platforms than other new IPs, Titanfall will not face the same expectations as those IPs, and that the game is 'amazing?'

Cheers, thanks for the update!

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

No single player, and EA have a bad record for day 1 MP working well. So probably best to keep expectation in check but im surprised they said it too.

Around the Network
starcraft said:
So when you said 'smaller product' out of context in the title, what you actually meant to say was that an EA exec had made the entirely obvious point that being a new IP on fewer platforms than other new IPs, Titanfall will not face the same expectations as those IPs, and that the game is 'amazing?'

You sound bitter, I am just posting what EA has said. Nothng more or less. Also, while it is obvious, many here have posted numerous time they expect titanfall to sell COD like nubers and single handidly mate x1 sell better then ps4.

FlamingWeazel said:
starcraft said:

You sound bitter, I am just posting what EA has said. Nothng more or less.

Much less in fact.  What was said was that Respawn have done an amazing job with their game.

Somehow that didn't make it into the thread title, which seemed to imply that EA is less than enthusiastic in supporting Titanfall, something the content of the article clearly contradicts.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
FlamingWeazel said:
starcraft said:

You sound bitter, I am just posting what EA has said. Nothng more or less.

Much less in fact.  What was said was that Respawn have done an amazing job with their game.

Somehow that didn't make it into the thread title, which seemed to imply that EA is less than enthusiastic in supporting Titanfall, something the content of the article clearly contradicts.

The thread title matches the ARTICLE title. Not sure why it bothers you so  much. It implies sales wise it is a smaller product launch nothing more or less, you are seeing something that doesn't exist. We all know the game looks good and is getting lots of hype..... what does that have to do about an article that is mainly sales related?

FlamingWeazel said:
starcraft said:

You sound bitter, I am just posting what EA has said. Nothng more or less. Also, while it is obvious, many here have posted numerous time they expect titanfall to sell COD like nubers and single handidly mate x1 sell better then ps4.

Since you have seen so many people here say it, could we have a link to.. idk, 4 different people saying it? We'll be on pins and needles waiting for your links.

Of course EA views it as a smaller title. Compared to Battlefield, or Madden? They launch on almost twice as many platforms.

"Jorgensen commented when asked how well he expects the title to perform during during the publisher's Q3 FY14 briefing last night"

So does it mean during the quarter of the Fiscal Year or overall?