By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Investors Meeting - 8:00 PM EST (15 mins left)

Lawlight said:
Only 12.89M 3DS sold in 2013. Looks like it's overtracked on vgchartz.

Looks like you were very wrong with pokemon Its nowhere near Overtracked, in fact its Undertracked by about 2mil!!!

Prepare your Loss of that bet :P

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=177176&page=1

Around the Network

Many comments on here don't really seem to understand this report. It's really quite bad. Turning a profit during the quarter that has Christmas isn't "good". Their business is built around turning a BIG profit during Q3. They didn't, and as such will lose money for the year. They have record high inventory which means they aren't selling anywhere close to what they are used to. They did worse than they did last year, when they should have done much better. Wii U is failing as a product and 3DS isn't doing as well as they would like.

The bright sides here are Pokemon was a very good seller, and Zelda on 3DS seems to be well received. Wii U does have nearly 6 million units in the wild which is something to build on. But Wii U will take a major shift in momentum to be a success and it's safe to say that Nintendo's handheld business has declined 25% or more in the last few years. These aren't positive things when looking at the state of the company.

Lawlight said:
zorg1000 said:
Lawlight said:

Pokemon X/Y at 11.6m, looks like ur gonna lose ur bet about it not passing 12m

Hold on one second - I would lose if it's more than 12M but that doesn't mean you win. We had a range - I think yours was 18M - I can't remember exactly.

your getting mixed up with our bet for MH4 bro! It sold over 3.6mil (this includes digital) so you lose but i haven't won since its not over 4.2mil! Currently its a tie but with MH4G announcement we should have our answer by end of year. Most likely its a Draw

tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:

Looks like you were very wrong with pokemon Its nowhere near Overtracked, in fact its Undertracked by about 2mil!!!

12M means that I wouldn't win. What was your number for Pokemon X/Y? It was 18M, right? Also, watch as 0.2M is shipped this quarter due to overshipment.

TheLastStarFighter said:
Many comments on here don't really seem to understand this report. It's really quite bad. Turning a profit during the quarter that has Christmas isn't "good". Their business is built around turning a BIG profit during Q3. They didn't, and as such will lose money for the year. They have record high inventory which means they aren't selling anywhere close to what they are used to. They did worse than they did last year, when they should have done much better. Wii U is failing as a product and 3DS isn't doing as well as they would like.

The bright sides here are Pokemon was a very good seller, and Zelda on 3DS seems to be well received. Wii U does have nearly 6 million units in the wild which is something to build on. But Wii U will take a major shift in momentum to be a success and it's safe to say that Nintendo's handheld business has declined 25% or more in the last few years. These aren't positive things when looking at the state of the company.

Yes! Then we can still get Nintendo is doomed threads then!

Okay now being serious, you are right. It does sound pretty bad.  Wonder how much longer Nintendo can go on like this.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:

12M means that I wouldn't win. What was your number for Pokemon X/Y? It was 18M, right? Also, watch as 0.2M is shipped this quarter due to overshipment.

So point the finger at me? You said it was on Decline+ It wouldnt hit 12mil lifetime. Its less than 1mil off (12mil) in 2.5months. Just admit that you were very very wrong. Its okay

Beside i did say 18mil (i said it can do 18mil but it'll easily do 15mil lifetime) but lets not forget something. Pokemon XY will be getting closer to my prediction every week and leaving yours in the dust :P

Anfebious said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

Yes! Then we can still get Nintendo is doomed threads then!

Okay now being serious, you are right. It does sound pretty bad.  Wonder how much longer Nintendo can go on like this.

Well, they CAN go on a very long time.  They have over $8 Billion US in cash and other assets that they could spend before going in debt.... so they could perform at this rate for 40 years and still be with us.  However, they WON'T go on like this for more than another year.  You can be sure that there is panic in HQ as they think of new strategies to change their business model.  Iwata won't last much longer without change, and Nintendo really needs to start growing.  Shrinkage is bad.

Lawlight said:
tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:

Just give up ;) it's not in decline

No surprise, they post a small profit and chug along.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sonicfan1373 said:
czecherychestnut said:

It would have been Nintendo's revised yearly projections thread, in which Nintendo revised their projections down for Wii U and 3DS and lowered their yearly results prediction from 55 billion yen to a -25 billion loss. 

The results in this thread are for the quarter, in which consoles sell 2-3x more than the rest of the year combined, meaning it was expected Nintendo would make a quarterly profit, but due to the previous quarterly losses (and the upcoming on) it will be a yearly loss.

But it appears that the results are compounded (April-December 2013) so it takes the loss of previous quarters into account. Furthermore, based on previous years results Q4 does not have a massive impact on their profits unless they are doing heavy R&D or paying large end of year taxes; so this does make me wonder about their end-of-year projection made on January 17.

I see in Nintendo's financial statement http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/140129e.pdf that they spent 43.2 billion yen on R&D during the first 3 quarters, but they expect to spend 70 billion yen for the full year. That's a huge increase in R&D expenses for the last quarter.