By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the Wii ever pass ps2 sales

yes i think it will pass ps2

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
No, the Wii won't sell more units than the PS2 for these reasons:

1. No Nintendo console has sold more than 100m units ever.
2. Nintendo on average doesn't support their consoles as long as Sony supports theirs.
3. Nintendo is too small to produce enough consoles.
4. The Wii isn't futureproof.
5. Michael Pachter.

I Blame Wii fit for my loss of faith in Nintendo and its future

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I wasn't intending on posting in this thread again, but the argument some of you people use are just horrible.

If PS2 would of died off by 2007: Yes
Now since PS2 are still in circlulation: No

So the Wii is going the beat the PS2's LTD numbers for 2007, but the PS2's sales in 2008 and beyond are going to leave it ahead? The old war horse is going to sell 10M more units tops, and even that's probably too high. That's a pretty closely defined prediction you're making here.

No. Will not attract enough of core gaming audience. Even with the wii new market it wont be abel to do it without the Madden and Halo3 type buyers.

In case you haven't noticed, hardcore gamers love the Wii. The only people complaining are die-hard supporters of the rival companies, as a quick look at the internet will show you.

Even if what you say were true, hardcore gamers don't matter much in the end. It was the casuals who made the PS2 into the success that it is, and they've already made their choice for this gen.

And now that I'm at it, Halo 3 and Madden buyers aren't casual? The people who bought 80% of the copies of those games are the most casual gamers on the planet. There is no single definition for casual and hardcore, but you should seriously check what most people mean by them before using them as the basis of your arguments.

You guys who keep posting graphs are not posting the whole picture, the PS2 was released in different locations at different times so you need to align launches for each region not for "ALL". The PS2 has also sold 11.8mil consoles over the past 9months this late into its life, thats more then the PS3/360 last i looked.

The Wii will never sell more then the PS2, the PS2 will continue to sell until a next gen system is launched, i doubt the wii will have that sort of shelf life. According to the Sony reports they have made/sold about 125mil PS2 consoles. Because Sony used to track Made units and now Sold its hard to get a clear picture over the years unless they changed their past reports to represent this, i'm not sure.

RolStoppable said:

2. Nintendo on average doesn't support their consoles as long as Sony supports theirs.
5. Michael Pachter.

1.theres a first for everything

2.they dont need to if it sells very fast

3.why is that 1.8 million a month and they said they might even make it higher i think they can produce enough

4.casuals dont care about this

5.lol at this one

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
brute said:
RolStoppable said:

5. Michael Pachter.

1.theres a first for everything

2.they dont need to if it sells very fast

3.why is that 1.8 million a month and they said they might even make it higher i think they can produce enough

4.casuals dont care about this

5.lol at this one

Looks like somebody just got RolRolled.

^ That's my new word for the day.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

The Wii won't pass the PS2 in lifetime sales. I've explained why elsewhere but it's pretty clear why it won't.

- PS2 still selling, will get a surge of sales when the price drops again
- Wii has done exceptionally well for a little over a year, while the ps2 has done exceptionally well for over 7
- This generation I think the marketshare will be somewhat more evened out than it was last generation (though it is likely the wii will outsell the others handsomely).

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

ameratsu said:
The Wii won't pass the PS2 in lifetime sales. I've explained why elsewhere but it's pretty clear why it won't.

- PS2 still selling, will get a surge of sales when the price drops again
- Wii has done exceptionally well for a little over a year, while the ps2 has done exceptionally well for over 7
- This generation I think the marketshare will be somewhat more evened out than it was last generation (though it is likely the wii will outsell the others handsomely).

None of those give any support to why Wii can't outsell PS2

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Griffin said:
You guys who keep posting graphs are not posting the whole picture, the PS2 was released in different locations at different times so you need to align launches for each region not for "ALL". The PS2 has also sold 11.8mil consoles over the past 9months this late into its life, thats more then the PS3/360 last i looked.

The Wii will never sell more then the PS2, the PS2 will continue to sell until a next gen system is launched, i doubt the wii will have that sort of shelf life. According to the Sony reports they have made/sold about 125mil PS2 consoles. Because Sony used to track Made units and now Sold its hard to get a clear picture over the years unless they changed their past reports to represent this, i'm not sure.

PS2 wasn't Supply constrained as long as Wii has been