By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Persona 4: The Golden Review

Tagged games:

Anything less than a 9 is asking for murder. You're hanging by a thin thread.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
think-man said:
Hahaha, even 7.75 is to low for this game imo xD guess it's a niche kind of game that appeals to different kinds of people more than others.

And if people didn't inflate scores so much that everyone thinks that 6/10 or less is horrible, then 7.75 would actually be realistic.  If you didn't notice yet, all of my reviews here are less than 8/10.

Not going to change my scoring because everyone thinks 7/10 is average.

I hope the dungeon design is better in Persona 5.

That's my main complaint on the game, (And P3) as well.

kupomogli said:
think-man said:
Hahaha, even 7.75 is to low for this game imo xD guess it's a niche kind of game that appeals to different kinds of people more than others.

And if people didn't inflate scores so much that everyone thinks that 6/10 or less is horrible, then 7.75 would actually be realistic.  If you didn't notice yet, all of my reviews here are less than 8/10.

6/10 is slightly above average I wouldn't waste my time playing something I thought in my mind was a 6/10. 

think-man said:
kupomogli said:
think-man said:

6/10 is slightly above average I wouldn't waste my time playing something I thought in my mind was a 6/10. 

If you were to make a list of 10 RPGs and these happened to be the only RPGs in existence.  Putting them in order from quality game to least quality game you would have 1/10 - 10/10.  What's the point in having a scaling system that goes from 1-10 if you're not even going to use half of the scale.  There's no point.  Which is why it's ridiculous how inflated the scoring system has got.  Unplayable games are getting scores of 4 or 5/10 when they should be getting 1/10-2/10.

Also.  I review games based on every game available.  I don't review games because "oh, this is the best RPG on the system."  So other consoles don't exist?  Though I will review it based on genre.  Doesn't necessarily mean 8.25 action game is better than 7.75 RPG..  Comnpletely different games.

Around the Network

I put 65 hours in it on my first play through, such a great game

The only thing I really disagree with is that "Design - 5" part. In my opinion, P4G is one of the best designed games ever made. It's so tight and the pacing is so good. It only starts to drag a bit toward the end when you begin to run out of things to do. With a lot of RPGs, they kind of run into a lull, but P4G pulls you along by controlling the pace.

The only thing that I hated was the ending. I almost threw my Vita.

And also wealth hands. Fuck those cowardly, cheap-ass bastards.

pokoko said:
The only thing I really disagree with is that "Design - 5" part. In my opinion, P4G is one of the best designed games ever made. It's so tight and the pacing is so good. It only starts to drag a bit toward the end when you begin to run out of things to do. With a lot of RPGs, they kind of run into a lull, but P4G pulls you along by controlling the pace.

Did you not get the true ending or something?

I found the best way to handle those wealth hands is megidolaon + mind charge. Lowering their defenses will also pretty much one shot them. But you don't really get access to these until much later in the game. So the best thing is to try and crit them. Which can get rage-inducing.

pokoko said:

Design isn't just the games pacing problems at times, but that whole paragraph about dungeon design and quests.  The enemies don't drop the items until after the quests activate, and the quests don't activate until "after" you complete the dungeons in the game, each one being the exact same layout as the last.  One main portion of the game and then two thirds of the quests.  I thought a lot about it before posting the review and came to that conclusion. 

Infact, if there was the whole year and no dungeons.  the design would have been much higher, as the whole time management thing is overall pretty good.  It has pacing problems at times, but that's it.

TheKoreanGuy said:

Did you not get the true ending or something?

I found the best way to handle those wealth hands is megidolaon + mind charge. Lowering their defenses will also pretty much one shot them. But you don't really get access to these until much later in the game. So the best thing is to try and crit them. Which can get rage-inducing.

I got a lame standard ending.  I don't like looking up things like that before hand and games that basically require you to look stuff up bug me.

Yeah, wealth hands get a lot easier after you get megidolaon but that's kind of late in the game.  They'll still Escape right at the start something, too, especially if they're in a chest.  I HATE when you get about six of them from a chest and four run away before you even get a turn.  Drives me up a wall.