By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY downgraded again to Junk by Moody's (outlook stable).

kowenicki said:
DamnTastic said:
Waiting for earnings and where this downgrade is going.
Could be a great buying opportunity.

There isnt a quick fix for Sony

They are a hold... just.  Nowhere near a buy.

Stock is down since Kaz took over, losses continue...its a very long road.

Maybe not for an investment
But for a swing trade.

I don't have anything in sony atm, so we'll see what the future brings

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:
How the fuck it get so bad!? Were they burning money?

Since the PS3?

ManUtdFan said:
I blame samsung

The poor fortunes of a company are often the company itself, NOT its competition.

The ability or inability to adjust to technology, trends, and your competition will determine your success, not if your competition is capable of doing the same.

Sony has, over the years, done a poor job of adjusting to technology and trends.  They've tried to develop the technology everyone else adopts, and not always successfully.  Depsite being one of the early adopters of LCD technology for TVs, Sony failed to capitalize on their position and instead allowed upstarts in Korea (Samsung and LG) to take them completely by surprise. 

Where as Sony was happy competing with Plasma TVs in the high-end market, Samsung and LG were more interested in bringing high-end features to lower tier, less expensive LCD TVs and advancing LCD technology to provide a competative offering versus plasma.  Esssentially Sony shot themselves in the foot by trying to maintain LCDs as a high-end product rather than advance and drive LCD TVs into the mass market.  

Granted.  All of the Japanese TV manufacturers were completely taken off guard by Samsung and LG, but still.  They did so by trying to manipulate prices and keep LCD technology as a high-end technology. 

0815user said:
in case everything fails, give/sell/deal playstation to sega and i'm good.

The Sega Playstation?  That has a ring to it.

Do you think they would still want to make hardware, or just go software only?

And we would still have 3 consoles, if Steam can pull it off.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

SamuelRSmith said:
I personally think that they should kill off their TV and Vaio* divisions. Drive up investment in mobile/tablets. Try a restart on PSVita (only has one more chance, though) (new model. cheaper, longer battery life, support SD cards). Get a PSNow box out there. Some kind of PSThree

I'm not so sure how their movie/music stuff is going. I guess industry standard, music on a long-term down and movies up.

*If people are buying for style, they buy Apple. If they're buying for getting shit done, they buy Lenovo. I guess they could go after gaming laptops? But that's a niche market, and Alienware already has it pretty locked down, so... In TV, Samsung are pretty much unstoppable at this point.

Sorry, but the PSVita is part of Sony's problem.

The Vita was a stupid investment.  Sony should have actively worked on and promoted the Xperia Play instead.  A combination of hand-held gaming, AND mobile phone/gaming.  Brilliant. 

Sure, the first attempt wasn't the greatest of successes but it might have faired better if it hadn't had to compete againsts it's more powerful sibling. 

The overwhelming evidence is that people do not want more than one mobile device.  If the device they have doesn't have an extensive level of gaming, they live with what it does offer.  The Xperia Play could have ushered in a new era of mobile/hand-held gaming at Sony instead Sony spread itself thin, wasted money, and time.  In fact, what's worse, is the effort they put into mobile gaming on Android devices has invariably benefitted other companies that have capitalized on the investment Sony made in Android gaming.  So not only did they waste money, but other companies are making money on the money they wasted. 

How many times can Sony shoot themselves in the foot before they can't walk away?

Around the Network
Somini said:
Xbone saved?

The elephant in the room for both Sony and Microsoft is Valve.  Sony failing doesn't save Microsoft, it just means a door opens for another competitor and there's already one waiting in the wings.

Mr Puggsly said:
jlmurph2 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
I think Infamous will take care of all these money problems.

Needz moar frames 

Not enough tflops.

They have enough flops to post those terrible numbers.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

burninmylight said:
jlmurph2 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
jlmurph2 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
jlmurph2 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
I think Infamous will take care of all these money problems.

Needz moar frames 

Not enough tflops.

Needz moar GDDR's 

Maybe they'll port it to a more powerful machine and let us play it on the cloud.

Unlimited GDDRs and tflops! 4k and 240 fps confirmed.

All with a $50 price drop = unlimited moneyz

You fools are all wrong, it needs BLAST PROCESSING!

SUPER MEGATON!!!!

Ashadian said:

If Sony were going under then it would have happened a long time ago. They need to get rid of the TV's if they can't make a profit on them. Movies/Music is fine, same goes for Playstation. Mobile is growing and could be a cash cow.

Movie is fine?

Didn't they just had 2 major flops on 2013? That division alone lost U$ 200 millions until Q3....

vkaraujo said:
Ashadian said:

If Sony were going under then it would have happened a long time ago. They need to get rid of the TV's if they can't make a profit on them. Movies/Music is fine, same goes for Playstation. Mobile is growing and could be a cash cow.

Movie is fine?

Didn't they just had 2 major flops on 2013? That division alone lost U$ 200 millions until Q3....

2013 was the worst year since 2005 for sony pictures.
But movie industry is very volatile, you can turn that around very quickly.