By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY downgraded again to Junk by Moody's (outlook stable).

d21lewis said:
gooch_destroyer said:
Mystro-Sama said:
How the fuck it get so bad!? Were they burning money?

Since the PS3?

Dat free online

Dem free bundled exclusives

Those...excuse me, I meant "Dose" $599 consoles sold at a loss.

In an effort to remain competitive, Sony did a lot of things that just didn't make a lot of sense from a money making point of view.  Good for fans but bad for business.  Any attempt to make money like a business is supposed to do would have earned them a "$ony" label, I guess.

The idea was to make the blu-ray the leading physicical disc format by pushing it hard with the PS3. That did not happen (it did become the leading HD disc format as well as the preferred console disc format), but if it had overtaken DVD - Sony would've cashed out on a huge investment that paid off for them.

Plus what happens over at SCE hardly has to do with the company's troubles as PlayStation continues to actually make profit for the company. It's really the other branches of Sony that are holding it down. PlayStation 4, as successful as it is won't make a dent in the financials as long as the rest of the company is failing.

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
supernihilist said:
this comes to show how Nintendo has a long way to go before dissapearing. this kind of things dont happen in a night/day timelapse

you realize there is a huge difference between the two and you cant look at whats happening to sony and come to a conclusion about nintendo... doesnt work thatway

Yep, even if at a first glance one could think Ninty, despite better off in the short and mid term thanks to its huge cash and highly profitable franchises, in the long term runs greater dangers because screwing with its core business could kill it, it actually has love hotels to fall back upon, and weren't them enough, it could still try the ultimate weapon: Pokémon Sex Toys.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Figgycal said:
d21lewis said:
gooch_destroyer said:
Mystro-Sama said:

Since the PS3?

Dat free online

In an effort to remain competitive, Sony did a lot of things that just didn't make a lot of sense from a money making point of view.  Good for fans but bad for business.  Any attempt to make money like a business is supposed to do would have earned them a "$ony" label, I guess.

The idea was to make the blu-ray the leading physicical disc format by pushing it hard with the PS3. That did not happen (it did become the leading HD disc format as well as the preferred console disc format), but if it had overtaken DVD - Sony would've cashed out on a huge investment that paid off for them.

Plus what happens over at SCE hardly has to do with the company's troubles as PlayStation continues to actually make profit for the company. It's really the other branches of Sony that are holding it down. PlayStation 4, as successful as it is won't make a dent in the financials as long as the rest of the company is failing.

Yeah, it took a while but Sony was able to finally turn the PS3 alone but (according to posts I've seen on this site), the PS3 alone was able to burn through any profits made from the incredibly dominant PS2 and PS1 era.  PS3 is doing well now and PS4 is set to dominate but the PS3 has done so much damage initially.  And yeah, the other divisions are the problem here, too.

Well looks like all Kaz did was give a temporary boost with the selling of factories/buildings/laying off 10 000 workers.

Because their debt seems to be their main issue, along with some divisions, and increasing interest costs will only make it worse. It will be interesting to see how this will play out in the coming years.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Some people really seemed overjoyed.

The thing is that if ps4 dominates like ps2 they could rekindle their flame and be seemed as trendy and premium again.

Keep bravia high priced only, and if they want low and mid tier products, make it in china with a different brand.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I think the days of anyone really paying $2500+ for a TV are basically over.

Naum said:
An still most Sony fans think Nintendo will stop making games before Sony or go 3rd party.

Sooner or later I don't think Playstation will be Sony any more wich might be good if it isn't MS that buy it.

That has a lot to do with the mindset of people around here. I said once that it would be Sony that goes 3rd party first and had several articles to back up that belief yet I was banned for "extreme trolling with no basis in reality". Of course people can claim the same of Nintendo with nothing to back it up and nothing ever happens to them for it.

Figgycal said:
d21lewis said:
gooch_destroyer said:
Mystro-Sama said:

Since the PS3?

Dat free online

What? No it hasnt. Sony lost every penny they made off of the PS2 on the PS3.  They admitted they will most likely never make that money back. Ps4 isnt going to make that money back because it too is sold at a loss. How can you make a response on something, yet have no clue what you are talking about? I mean a simple Google search is all it takes to see you are completely wrong.

ghettoglamour said:
So is Playstation in trouble? I don't really give a shit about Sony as a whole company, as long as the Playstation brand is alive and healthy

I dont care how bad nintendo gets theyve never been called JUnK