By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Any boxing fans here?

Which will win?

Mayweather 43 58.90%

Pacquiao 16 21.92%

LOL Bradley LOL 4 5.48%

Total:63

Mayweather is easily one of if not the greatest boxer ever. If you make a Top 5 or Top 3 all time list and Mayweather isn't on that list, you don't know shit about boxing

Here you are talking about a fighter who hasn't been knocked down in a fight vs. a man that recently got knocked out. Pac and Money shouldn't be in the same conversation honestly.

Of course Pac said he'd fight for a 45-55 split.

Mayweather makes in 1 fight what Pac "HOPES" to make in 2 fights.

If Pac doesn't take less $$$ fight won't happen. And he doesn't deserve 45 % of the money to be fair. iirc Money offered either 40 or 50 million and Pac turned that down. Why I don't know since Pac never makes that for a fight. Plus he has to pay his promoter. If Money promoted the fight. Pac waks away with 100% of his money. Pac just didn't want the fight to happen imo

Around the Network
Subie_Greg said:
Mayweather is easily one of if not the greatest boxer ever. If you make a Top 5 or Top 3 all time list and Mayweather isn't on that list, you don't know shit about boxing

Here you are talking about a fighter who hasn't been knocked down in a fight vs. a man that recently got knocked out. Pac and Money shouldn't be in the same conversation honestly.

If Pac doesn't take less $$$ fight won't happen. And he doesn't deserve 45 % of the money to be fair. iirc Money offered either 40 or 50 million and Pac turned that down. Why I don't know since Pac never makes that for a fight. Plus he has to pay his promoter. If Money promoted the fight. Pac waks away with 100% of his money. Pac just didn't want the fight to happen imo

No one is disputing the fact the Mayweather is one of the greatest of all time. But he made making a deal to reach for a Pacquiao fight impossible with stupid demands. Even when Pac said he would take the cash another issue arrose. Mayweather was ducking him just as much as Pacquiao avoided Mayweather.

@bolded let's not make this thread about bashing other people. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.  

cannonballZ said:
enditall727 said:

You can't be serious..

Andre Berto was undefeated and was looked at as being the next big thing in boxing and Floyd was going to fight him buy HE LOST to Ortiz in a crazy ass fight. Berto was #3 P4P in the welterweight division behind Pacquaio and Mayweather at the time before he got beat by Ortiz.

Robert Guerrero hadn't lost a fight in the last 7 years before he fought Mayweather. Who else was May supposed to fight at the time?

Mayweather was in line to face Zab Judah because he was one of the top guys at the time and they had already planned to fight before Zab fought Baldomir. Baldomir beat Judah in a shocking upset and Floyd decided to carry on with fighting Judah(he would never do this again) and then people were starting to think that Floyd was scared and trying to duck Baldomir. So he fought Baldomir right after the Judah fight. 

If anything, that was like the only time where you can say Floyd cherry picked but you could understand when you know the business part of boxing

And who was a better fight for Floyd at the time he fought Canelo? People were trying to say that Floyd was scared to fight Canelo! Canelo was hungry, young, strong, and undefeated when he fought Floyd

I can't believe you just tried to say that Floyd cherry picked them. 

If you've seen any Canelo fights, and especially the one with Trout, then you'd know he had no chance.

Guerrero? Please... No chance

Ortiz? Fought against Berto and did not dominate. He showed he had a great chin and lots of power. That fight was great, but didn't show he was anywhere near the level of mayweather.

Ortiz had no chance and Mayweather new it. It's the only reason he fought him. Or did you really think Ortiz had a chance? With his track record and skill level that he has shown throughout his fights before mayweather, do you think he had a chance?

Edit: Canelo vs Angulo... who's your pick? 

Using that logic i can say that looking at any of floyds opponents last fights, we could see that they didn't have a chance.

Looking at Manny Pacquaio's last fights(before he lost to Bradley and Marquez) we could see that he had no chance either going by this logic

You can say what you want about Guerrero but ANYTHING can happen inside that boxing ring. Guerrero is stistill a good fighter no matter what anybody says.

Ortiz came off of a tremendous win over Berto and thats that. Its not about "knowing" you can beat somebody. You simply think it. Ortiz really thought he could beat Mayweather but he didn't. Berto "knew" that he was going to beat Ortiz but he didn't. Margarito thought he was going to beat Mosley but he didn't.

Floyd thinks he can beat Pacquaio and Pacquaio thinks he can beat Floyd so what are you trying to get at with that?

And i think Canelo will beat Angulo 

supernihilist said:
enditall727 said:
supernihilist said:
cannonballZ said:
When I saw the Canelo vs Trout fight, which I totally thought Trout won, I knew Canelo would be mayweathers next challenger.

Why? Because Canelo put on a mediocre show, he was running most of the time. He might have knocked trout down, but I thought trout definitely won more rounds. Mayweather dominated him just like I predicted. Canelo swung and missed so many times he's now known as Canelo "air-bender" Alvarez. I can't believe anyone thought canelo ever had a chance against Mayweather.

Mayweather's promoters and Mayweather himself tend to cherry pick their fights. I think Mayweather has a lot of talent and absolutely deserves to be recognized as pound for pound champ, but he avoids fights. He's not the only one that does it, but he certainly talks a lot of smack for someone that won't take risky fights.

Honestly, I think he will beat Paquiao if they fight now. Pacquiao had a chance of definitely beating him years ago, but he doesn't seem like the same fighter anymore. Mayweather is still at the top of his game. He hasn't showed much of slowing down, he still has tremendous speed and agility. But he won't fight anyone that shows potential of winning.

Marquez vs Pacquiao, yea, that was a lucky shot. And at the same time I feel he is a remarkable counter puncher and definitely executed that counter perfectly. I don't think he expected that outcome though. Marquez knows that and doesn't want to fight him anymore. He was being dominated in that fight.

Bradley? Man, I stopped watching him years ago, boring fighter. I honestly thought that Pac won that fight too. And he will beat Bradley in their next match.

What do you think of the possible upcoming match between Mayweather and Khan?

Canelo performance was ridiculous. HE TRIED TO OUTBOX FLOYD?!?!?

Instead of putting pressure with a strong jab and push him to the ropes like Cotto did, he tried to outbox Floyd which in a million years could achieve. Hes just too slow for Money.

Mayweather vs Pac today is a easy victory for Money by unanious. May vs Pac in 2008 after the Pac vs Cotto slaughter...buffff. Pac was VERY strong then. I really dont see how Money could really stand all those accurate yet powerful and fast puches without going into a brawl. And Manny is brawler by nature, Money is not...

I give Pac the edge in 2008 honestly.

Bradley is a pussy period. Claiming that he won fair and square against Pac instead of being a man and honest and accept he lost and judges made a mistake. You know jedges are humans and are allowed to make mistakes too. He lost the respect i had for him, because he put up a decent fight against Pac.

I see May vs Khan a dodge, clinch, shlouder-roll, counter-fest as always. Khan is fast but i dont think he has the soul. plus hes not in his prime and Money know that.

What makes you think that Khan is not in his prime?

is he?

Anything we see from Khan now has always been seen. We have always seen him struggle with people and we always knew he had a glass chin

cannonballZ said:
http://www.boxingnews24.com/2012/06/is-floyds-success-at-welterweight-due-to-his-cherrypicking/

Interesting article from a year and a half ago.

This article only attempts to discredit Floyd and nothing more..

Around the Network
cannonballZ said:
enditall727 said:

You can't be serious..

Andre Berto was undefeated and was looked at as being the next big thing in boxing and Floyd was going to fight him buy HE LOST to Ortiz in a crazy ass fight. Berto was #3 P4P in the welterweight division behind Pacquaio and Mayweather at the time before he got beat by Ortiz.

Robert Guerrero hadn't lost a fight in the last 7 years before he fought Mayweather. Who else was May supposed to fight at the time?

Mayweather was in line to face Zab Judah because he was one of the top guys at the time and they had already planned to fight before Zab fought Baldomir. Baldomir beat Judah in a shocking upset and Floyd decided to carry on with fighting Judah(he would never do this again) and then people were starting to think that Floyd was scared and trying to duck Baldomir. So he fought Baldomir right after the Judah fight. 

If anything, that was like the only time where you can say Floyd cherry picked but you could understand when you know the business part of boxing

And who was a better fight for Floyd at the time he fought Canelo? People were trying to say that Floyd was scared to fight Canelo! Canelo was hungry, young, strong, and undefeated when he fought Floyd

I can't believe you just tried to say that Floyd cherry picked them. 

If you've seen any Canelo fights, and especially the one with Trout, then you'd know he had no chance.

Guerrero? Please... No chance

Ortiz? Fought against Berto and did not dominate. He showed he had a great chin and lots of power. That fight was great, but didn't show he was anywhere near the level of mayweather.

Ortiz had no chance and Mayweather new it. It's the only reason he fought him. Or did you really think Ortiz had a chance? With his track record and skill level that he has shown throughout his fights before mayweather, do you think he had a chance?

Edit: Canelo vs Angulo... who's your pick? 

Thats not cherry picking, thats called being the best in the world.

Cherry picking is intentionally avoiding opponents u think can beat u and fighting lesser opponents Instead.

Who should he have fought in place of those people?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

enditall727 said:
cannonballZ said:
http://www.boxingnews24.com/2012/06/is-floyds-success-at-welterweight-due-to-his-cherrypicking/

Interesting article from a year and a half ago.

This article only attempts to discredit Floyd and nothing more..

I don't agree with the entire article, but I agree he's been cherry picking to a degree for the last four -five years. Even then, it doesn't take away from his talent like the article suggets. Even if he cherry picked it still takes a lot of talent and skill to out box all of his opponents the way he has. Love him or hate him, Floyd Mayweather is one of the most talented boxers to ever grace the sport.

I found the article interesting, it shows how much some people really hate they guy and what lengths they go to downplay his success. I'm a Mayweather fan, but a boxing fan first and foremost. I stopped visiting that site long ago, what they consider journalism there is atrocious.

What are some of ur favorite fights of all time?

The Ali-Frazier trilogy is great

Hagler-Hearns was a great slugfest

Tyson-Douglas was a surprising upset

Gatti-Ward trilogy was epic

Hopkins-Trinidad was a shocker

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
What are some of ur favorite fights of all time?

The Ali-Frazier trilogy is great

Hagler-Hearns was a great slugfest

Tyson-Douglas was a surprising upset

Gatti-Ward trilogy was epic

Hopkins-Trinidad was a shocker

Marquez vs. Pac II along with the IV - Textbook example of skill, thrills, and punches that kill

Corrales vs. Castillo I - Tremondous war. Rocky style comeback

Gatti - Ward trilogy of course

Morales vs Pac I - See Marquez vs Pac reasons

Morales vs. Barrerra I-III

Marquez vs Diaz

Too many to list. Lol. 

cannonballZ said:
Subie_Greg said:

No one is disputing the fact the Mayweather is one of the greatest of all time. But he made making a deal to reach for a Pacquiao fight impossible with stupid demands. Even when Pac said he would take the cash another issue arrose. Mayweather was ducking him just as much as Pacquiao avoided Mayweather.

@bolded let's not make this thread about bashing other people. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.  

It's a famous boxing quote by Roger M. He didn't bash anyone specifically. He just made a general statement.