By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII series sold over 10 million games, do they deserve it?

Rafux said:
Sad day when such a horrible game series/saga crosses 10M sales.

lmfao a sad day indeed j/k FFXIII series is my game that defined the last generation without a doubt. Did it do everything right? Nope, did it do 99% right yep, and it has proven to be the most controvertial FF ever. I love that part :)

Around the Network
FinalFantasyXIII said:
Rafux said:
Sad day when such a horrible game series/saga crosses 10M sales.

lmfao a sad day indeed j/k FFXIII series is my game that defined the last generation without a doubt. Did it do everything right? Nope, did it do 99% right yep, and it has proven to be the most controvertial FF ever. I love that part :)

its not sad at all. 10 mil for a WHOLE series in FF is nothing. Actually its sad it didnt do better.

The Fury said:
Pristine20 said:

Hmm...I don't exactly remember S-E advertising FFXIII as a "turn -based RPG". Final fantasy has always had different battle systems. FFXII wasn't strictly turn based either. If you mean waiting for ATB gauge before an action, FFXIII had that too.

No control of entire party =/= bad. KH did it and it was received just fine. In SMT:Nocturne, your party can't revive you either...is that game bad? FFX  has leveling limits via the level 1,2,3 and 4 sphere blocks...was it bad too? Tales of Graces F doesn't use MP either, is it a bad game? You really think a lack of random encounters is bad? Seriously most games have abandoned those since early ps2. There was exploration once you reached pulse similar to FFX calm lands in that regard. Bad game? I think not. Health regenerated after battles...why is it bad? Just because it didn't in older games?

Whether you connected with the characters is completely personal and not really relevant to how good or bad the game is. I can't connect with Hayabusa but I still love Ninja Gaiden series. Not sure what that has to do with anything. The datalog thing I'll give you,  some things should've been explained without forcing you to read up yourself. In all FF games besides maybe FFXII, you can pres "X" to win probably 80% of the time. Not sure why this became a problem after FFXIII. Not sure why pressing X to level is any worse that automatically gaining your stats and abilities. You just sound really nostalgic.

IMO, it was a great FF game. I've played FF7,8,9,10,10-2,12,13,13-2 and the only one that lagged slightly behind the rest is 13-2 because it was clearly cheaply made (and other things) compared to the high production values FF has. That's about it.

No, I said Final Fantasy is a turn based JRPG, not FFXIII. We just expected that. Sure the ATB is there but a butchered version, FFXII had a weird version too but it was luckily a great game.

I'm not comparing FFXIII to other games, I'm comparing it to Final Fantasy games. That is what it had to live up to and it really didn't. 

KH wasn't trying to be a game where you control everyone, the main character is Sora so you played as Sora. I haven't played Nocturne so can't comment but in a Final Fantasy game, I expected to fail only if all my party perished. In FFX you could choose the advanced sphere grid and if you want make Tidus a magic user. No MP meant strategic magic use was out the window, no longer could I have one character cast protective magic knowing that's all they'll cast while my other character uses Fire magic because they have MP left and the other to Heal. Hardly exploration, one part of a world when in previous FF games, I could go back to any area I wanted pretty much. Yes, having health regen removed things like hotels or tents, using MP outside of battle remained lost so the risk in your next fight was greater. The random encounters is more of a personal one mind you, many people don't like those but I was always fine with them but same with FFXII, there was no element of surprise, did not one fear the arrival of a random Malboro hoping it didn't use Bad Breath before your could escape?

If I can't connect to characters it means my enjoyment of the characters/story is lost in a game that is meant to be story focused. The X to win thing is based on zero thought put into it, not literal. Yes you pressed 'X' to choose a skill in FF8 but you had to choose what to do, attack normally, choose a magic, a GF or an item. In FFXIII it was press X on the first auto-battle option then wait until the ATB filled and do it again. In other FFs you can choose in what order character learn things, if they learn things, their abilities their magics, in FFXIII you went to a crystarium and pressed X until the points ran out.

Maybe I am nostalgic, wanting FF games to be a certain way but why not? FF games were great because of superb storys and solid traditional gameplay. This felt lost in a FFXIII. It was a good game but wasn't a good FF game. This is the problem.

@ fury - totally agree with u on all points that is the ff i know and loved and will misss

@Pristine20 we r talkin about ff here comaring it to previous ff. KH has no relevants here two total diff games

The Fury said:
Pristine20 said:

Hmm...I don't exactly remember S-E advertising FFXIII as a "turn -based RPG". Final fantasy has always had different battle systems. FFXII wasn't strictly turn based either. If you mean waiting for ATB gauge before an action, FFXIII had that too.

No control of entire party =/= bad. KH did it and it was received just fine. In SMT:Nocturne, your party can't revive you either...is that game bad? FFX  has leveling limits via the level 1,2,3 and 4 sphere blocks...was it bad too? Tales of Graces F doesn't use MP either, is it a bad game? You really think a lack of random encounters is bad? Seriously most games have abandoned those since early ps2. There was exploration once you reached pulse similar to FFX calm lands in that regard. Bad game? I think not. Health regenerated after battles...why is it bad? Just because it didn't in older games?

Whether you connected with the characters is completely personal and not really relevant to how good or bad the game is. I can't connect with Hayabusa but I still love Ninja Gaiden series. Not sure what that has to do with anything. The datalog thing I'll give you,  some things should've been explained without forcing you to read up yourself. In all FF games besides maybe FFXII, you can pres "X" to win probably 80% of the time. Not sure why this became a problem after FFXIII. Not sure why pressing X to level is any worse that automatically gaining your stats and abilities. You just sound really nostalgic.

IMO, it was a great FF game. I've played FF7,8,9,10,10-2,12,13,13-2 and the only one that lagged slightly behind the rest is 13-2 because it was clearly cheaply made (and other things) compared to the high production values FF has. That's about it.

No, I said Final Fantasy is a turn based JRPG, not FFXIII. We just expected that. Sure the ATB is there but a butchered version, FFXII had a weird version too but it was luckily a great game.

I'm not comparing FFXIII to other games, I'm comparing it to Final Fantasy games. That is what it had to live up to and it really didn't. 

KH wasn't trying to be a game where you control everyone, the main character is Sora so you played as Sora. I haven't played Nocturne so can't comment but in a Final Fantasy game, I expected to fail only if all my party perished. In FFX you could choose the advanced sphere grid and if you want make Tidus a magic user. No MP meant strategic magic use was out the window, no longer could I have one character cast protective magic knowing that's all they'll cast while my other character uses Fire magic because they have MP left and the other to Heal. Hardly exploration, one part of a world when in previous FF games, I could go back to any area I wanted pretty much. Yes, having health regen removed things like hotels or tents, using MP outside of battle remained lost so the risk in your next fight was greater. The random encounters is more of a personal one mind you, many people don't like those but I was always fine with them but same with FFXII, there was no element of surprise, did not one fear the arrival of a random Malboro hoping it didn't use Bad Breath before your could escape?

If I can't connect to characters it means my enjoyment of the characters/story is lost in a game that is meant to be story focused. The X to win thing is based on zero thought put into it, not literal. Yes you pressed 'X' to choose a skill in FF8 but you had to choose what to do, attack normally, choose a magic, a GF or an item. In FFXIII it was press X on the first auto-battle option then wait until the ATB filled and do it again. In other FFs you can choose in what order character learn things, if they learn things, their abilities their magics, in FFXIII you went to a crystarium and pressed X until the points ran out.

Maybe I am nostalgic, wanting FF games to be a certain way but why not? FF games were great because of superb storys and solid traditional gameplay. This felt lost in a FFXIII. It was a good game but wasn't a good FF game. This is the problem.

No final fantasy game is exactly the same, some are very similar but that's about it. They've never done the same exact thing before so why expect it now? I see you like FFXII, I love that game too. Were you around for it's reception though? It was hated almost as much as FFXIII for "playing itself" via gambits. Dragon Age series did the same exact thing yet no hate. FF "fans", I tell ya...

You really shouldn't be expecting the same from this series, they've always changed it up which is why it's at iteration number 13.

I don't think FF13 was trying to be a game where you control everyone either. Part of the strategy was controlling the right character to win certain battles. Like I said again, it doesn't have to be the same as the old games to be good. Leader death = game over has been done before by beloved games is all I was trying to say. That doesn't make a game bad. It's just something you personally don't like for whatever reason. Same goes for the micromanagement of MP. Items have always been plentiful in FF games allowing you to carry 99 of each. MP-management boils down to pop an ether when you run out same goes for recovery items n general. They are plentiful in these games so why act like part of the strategy is managing them? I thought it just saved time to refill your health after battle. I don't think something is necessarily difficult if it has to rely on surprise to be as such and most running into areas with marlboros were prepared with the right status defenses anyhow.

When I say X to win, I mean all you need to win in most battles in FF games is to keep clicking the "attack" button till the enemy dies. I'd say FFXIII is actually for complicated than the rest by making you use L1 a lot as well. People complain about auto-battle  but the reality is that you don't have to use it. Nothing wrong with giving the option to those who do though. I still don't get this hate for the crystarium. Sphere grid is the same thing. The license board is pretty similar as well. Is it because you prefer to click to learn rather than hold X?

I think you are nostalgic. Trust me even the FF games you do like have their own fair share of haters. What is traditional gameplay? Waiting in a queue like FFX? Was FFXII traditional?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Pristine20 said:
No imo... I don't think FFXIII was the FF we all wanted to have in the 7th generation... Its Auto-Battle, mostly terrible characters (Looking at you Snow) as well as no real party system (in the sense where you can control more than one person during battle) and many other reasons, I don't think it deserves that many units at all...

Just out of curiosity, do you like Kingdom Hearts? It's a beloved series but does everyone know that you can only control one character in battle? It would be nice if you elaborate as to why the game is bad including how much of it you did play.

On topic, yeah it deserves the sales. FFXIII-2 wasn't as good and it sold lower which was deserved as well.

I played FFXIII for about 3-4 hours before I stopped playing it completely... Granted that is not much time but if it failed to grab my attention by then, I am not willing to spend my time until it does... As for KH, I have a mixed experience of it... The story is good, the gameplay is good and there are a few neat plot twists here and there but what really breaks the game for me is the Disney Characters... I understand that they aren't a big deal to many people but when there are scenes where you have to sing and dance with the god damn little mermaid and her fish friends, I just can't continue...

And I think Fury give you pretty good reasons as to why FFXIII doesn't deserve the sales... The characters are just so bad imo... and its so damn liner... I understand that once you get to over 15 hours into the game the world opens up but by that time, its just too late...

The main reason we are so harsh on Square is cause they made some of the best games ever made but recently for the past few years, their games have not been up to par at all which is really sad... We are so desperate for a real FF game that we are now relying on games like Bravely Default and X to give us that FF Experience cause it almost seems as though square can't deliver anymore... That may change with FFXV but until it comes out, there is no way to know for sure

I don't know. I've played FF7,8,9,10,10-2,12,13,13-2 and I can honestly say that none of them was interesting in the first 3-4 hours but that's just my opinion. I don't like KH either. I'm just used to seeing some of it's known fans thrashing FF13 for not allowing you to control your party which I think is irony.

The characters are "just bad" is terribly subjective and not really useful to make an argument for why the game is bad especially when you experienced said characters for 3-4 hours.

I'm not a fan of where S-E has headed with the rehashes , cash-ins and remakes but I can safely say that I haven't regretted buying any of the FF games I've played. It's the rest of their library and the constant cash-ins and focus on mobile that troubles me instead.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
kupomogli said:
Pristine20 said:
No imo... I don't think FFXIII was the FF we all wanted to have in the 7th generation... Its Auto-Battle, mostly terrible characters (Looking at you Snow) as well as no real party system (in the sense where you can control more than one person during battle) and many other reasons, I don't think it deserves that many units at all...

Just out of curiosity, do you like Kingdom Hearts? It's a beloved series but does everyone know that you can only control one character in battle? It would be nice if you elaborate as to why the game is bad including how much of it you did play.

On topic, yeah it deserves the sales. FFXIII-2 wasn't as good and it sold lower which was deserved as well.

I'm not a fan of Kingdom Hearts, only finished the first game btw, but it's a series of action games.  Final Fantasy 13 wasn't.  Final Fantasy 13 is a game that wanted so hard to be an action game, which is why they made the gameplay like it was.  Lightning Returns is probably what they wanted to do, and what they should have did for the very first game.

Who gets to decide what FF13 is? Developers or fans? I think it's the former. They made a turn-based/action RPG hybrid and some like it. If being an ARPG is what gives devs the right to limit party member control then won't you say FF13 earned that right too? Afterall, it was trying to be an ARPG hybrid.

Pristine20 said:
kupomogli said:
Pristine20 said:

I'm not a fan of Kingdom Hearts, only finished the first game btw, but it's a series of action games.  Final Fantasy 13 wasn't.  Final Fantasy 13 is a game that wanted so hard to be an action game, which is why they made the gameplay like it was.  Lightning Returns is probably what they wanted to do, and what they should have did for the very first game.

Who gets to decide what FF13 is? Developers or fans? I think it's the former. They made a turn-based/action RPG hybrid and some like it. If being an ARPG is what gives devs the right to limit party member control then won't you say FF13 earned that right too? Afterall, it was trying to be an ARPG hybrid.

I agree that the developer gets to decide what FF13 is... It is their vision after all... But I get to decide whether I like it or not and should it deserve the sales or my purchase... I don't think it deserves the sales based on the things I hate about it but many people like it which is why it got those sales. But with that being said, they would have had many more sales if they did what the fans asked which is why FFXIII-2 sold half of what FFXIII did... Clearly a lot of people hated the system as well... There comes a point where a developer have to ask them selves where the line is between what they want to do and what the fans want and they have to find a silverlining, cause if they don't, they will lose customers such as myself... I bought FFXIII, played it for a bit, then I sold it and didn't get FFXIII-2 and probably not gonna get Lightning Returns

At the end of the day, developers makes the game for the customers... If they make a game that most of the customers don't enjoy (Such as what Capcom is doing), then the customers won't buy the sequel which is basically what is happening

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Metacritic for the XIII series: FFXIII - 83/ 77 (user score)
FFXII - 79/68
FFXIII lightning returns (according to gamefaqs rating average average)

In my opinion; no. FFXIII was a travesty in the series, a highly polished turd of a game.

oniyide said:
Carl2291 said:
Its comforting to know that Final Fantasy VII has outsold the entire XIII saga.

just to illustrate how unimpressive these sales actually are. FF13 proper, still sold less than 7,8 or 10. Keep in mind thats 13 released on TWO consoles versus those one. I imagine the FF13 rerelease will widen the gap even further. Not to mention that the 7 series still blows the sales of 13 away. 7 and CC alone put it above 12mil didnt even throw Dirge in there. 

And for even more comparisons. THe ME trilogy has sold more than 13mil across 3 platforms ( thats 13mil WITHOUT counting the trilogy or WIi U version)

You have to take in regard that JRPGs in general lost popularity in the last generation  compared  to the generations that 7, 8 and 10 were available, and I think its unfair to compare the sales of the Mass effect trilogy to the FF XIII trilogy because the Mass effect games were available in more platforms (The entire Mass effect games on PC alone has sold 1.96 million according to vgcharz) .  I think 10 million for the first two game is great, taking in regard of the decline of the serie and genre.