By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII series sold over 10 million games, do they deserve it?

FinalFantasyXIII said:
FlamingWeazel said:
No, selling on name alone ff13 was terrible. Way better rpg's around, series needs an overhaul.

Please. You mind naming me a few on the PS3 platform that are better than the FFXIII trilogy.

Almost anything, Skyrim, oblivion, mass effect, Demons and dark souls, no no kuni, Tales of xillia,  Dragon age origins, deus ex human revolution.etc... FF13 was terrible.

If you go outside PS3 you got the Witcher which blows it away, and numerous others.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
In my opinion; no. FFXIII was a travesty in the series, a highly polished turd of a game.

I lub me sum high polished turd ob sum gamz, I just wanna lick eet cuz it sooo gud in me bellay.

FlamingWeazel said:
FinalFantasyXIII said:
FlamingWeazel said:
No, selling on name alone ff13 was terrible. Way better rpg's around, series needs an overhaul.

Please. You mind naming me a few on the PS3 platform that are better than the FFXIII trilogy.

Almost anything, Skyrim, oblivion, mass effect, Demons and dark souls, no no kuni, Tales of xillia,  Dragon age origins, deus ex human revolution.etc... FF13 was terrible.

If you go outside PS3 you got the Witcher which blows it away, and numerous others.

Well I game on PS3 bro I guess Im not as big of balla as you how big yo wango u sound koo broz anyhow I loved Oblivion mass effect was wierd Skyrim was like yo its Oblivion but on a mountain never tried demon souls dark souls whatever that is ni no kuni finished that its good bouncy tits in my fa fa tales of Xilia looks koo dragon I never played and deus ex never played FF13 game me orgasms hourly like what game out of that shit list sgould i be playin yodawg u have so much swag tellz me broz u got mad big bowls and hot dog fo realz i know cuz u type bro so u true i got dat

finalrpgfantasy said:
oniyide said:
Carl2291 said:
Its comforting to know that Final Fantasy VII has outsold the entire XIII saga.

just to illustrate how unimpressive these sales actually are. FF13 proper, still sold less than 7,8 or 10. Keep in mind thats 13 released on TWO consoles versus those one. I imagine the FF13 rerelease will widen the gap even further. Not to mention that the 7 series still blows the sales of 13 away. 7 and CC alone put it above 12mil didnt even throw Dirge in there. 

And for even more comparisons. THe ME trilogy has sold more than 13mil across 3 platforms ( thats 13mil WITHOUT counting the trilogy or WIi U version)

You have to take in regard that JRPGs in general lost popularity in the last generation  compared  to the generations that 7, 8 and 10 were available, and I think its unfair to compare the sales of the Mass effect trilogy to the FF XIII trilogy because the Mass effect games were available in more platforms (The entire Mass effect games on PC alone has sold 1.96 million according to vgcharz) .  I think 10 million for the first two game is great, taking in regard of the decline of the serie and genre.

not unfair at all. The only PC games i counted were the retail ones and lets be real most of the sales for that platform would have been digital. Even if you take those physical PC sales out that would leave PS360 and it would still be higher than FF13. ANd keep in mind the original was not released on PS3 until the trilogy which i didnt count. Still think its unfair.

Pristine20 said:

No final fantasy game is exactly the same, some are very similar but that's about it. They've never done the same exact thing before so why expect it now? I see you like FFXII, I love that game too. Were you around for it's reception though? It was hated almost as much as FFXIII for "playing itself" via gambits. Dragon Age series did the same exact thing yet no hate. FF "fans", I tell ya...

You really shouldn't be expecting the same from this series, they've always changed it up which is why it's at iteration number 13.

I don't think FF13 was trying to be a game where you control everyone either. Part of the strategy was controlling the right character to win certain battles. Like I said again, it doesn't have to be the same as the old games to be good. Leader death = game over has been done before by beloved games is all I was trying to say. That doesn't make a game bad. It's just something you personally don't like for whatever reason. Same goes for the micromanagement of MP. Items have always been plentiful in FF games allowing you to carry 99 of each. MP-management boils down to pop an ether when you run out same goes for recovery items n general. They are plentiful in these games so why act like part of the strategy is managing them? I thought it just saved time to refill your health after battle. I don't think something is necessarily difficult if it has to rely on surprise to be as such and most running into areas with marlboros were prepared with the right status defenses anyhow.

When I say X to win, I mean all you need to win in most battles in FF games is to keep clicking the "attack" button till the enemy dies. I'd say FFXIII is actually for complicated than the rest by making you use L1 a lot as well. People complain about auto-battle  but the reality is that you don't have to use it. Nothing wrong with giving the option to those who do though. I still don't get this hate for the crystarium. Sphere grid is the same thing. The license board is pretty similar as well. Is it because you prefer to click to learn rather than hold X?

I think you are nostalgic. Trust me even the FF games you do like have their own fair share of haters. What is traditional gameplay? Waiting in a queue like FFX? Was FFXII traditional?

My problem is that while they've never done the exact same thing, this felt too far removed from the standards. I do like FFXII but it felt as far from FF games as FFXIII the difference was that the game was done well, really well. Superb voice acting, a coherant story, free flowing combat (even if not random encounters), character customerisation. I always thought "It's an excellent game just not a Final Fantasy game." It was of course an Ivalice game and the Ivalice department made some superb games.

I wasn't saying the game is bad because of the single character death, many other games have done that and it has been fine because that is what those games intended. Final Fantasy never has, why now? I died more times in FFXIII then I probably ever did in all FF games I've played combined. This wasn't because it was hard but because of how quick it can happen, I remember on a couple of occasions I went into a battle and all the 5 targets on the screen attacked my main character (which for some unknown reason stopped their attacks), suddenly they were in red health, so I swap to healing and before the swap finishs and the character can use their magic, the enemies attack again and I'm dead. Why do you think there was a 'Retry' in this game? No other FF game thought it had to do that because it was balanced. 

Managing MP is strategy, I don't know how you came across 99 ether, but I've never had that many. Ether are rare and expensive compared to potions, this is why Tents or 'sleep' was required, this somewhat omitted in FFX when save point retored all this, reason why in FFX you didn't 'sleep' much. FF8 had a lack of MP too but it had limited magic, I could use this healing magic but that's also attached to my characters health, using it will lower his overall health, a clever way of doing it. In FFXIII nothing like that at all, swap classes, spam until done, swap again. Unless you had a Ribbon, one of the many Malboro status effect would get you, there's not gaurding against them all so easily, especially when you don't expect them.

I've already explained how Sphere Grid is different, okay easy board is very similar, infact more restrictive as you only have one 'class' but it had the advanced grid which means you could take any character in any direction. In FFXIII, if you wanted a character to learn a different class, you'd have to spend big on point, far more than it's worth until end game and you've maxed your starting abilities out.

There is nothing wrong with nostalgia when if comes to beloved franchises. Much to the reason why I still buy Tekken, each increment of Tekken is smoother and mostly better than the last, ignoring the little hick up lately. Tekken 5 is the best Tekken to date in my opinion, but I have fond memories of 2 and 3, even 6 is great but they all stick to the same standards the same gameplay. The reason many of use like FF games is because of these nostalgic standards. If Halo decided to be a TPS from now on, it might lose a lot of fans, it's still a shooter though so that's okay right? People should just accept this change because you are still shooting people, other things are similar or the same but you'd shoot enemies so it's the same.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

LOL! All you FFXIII haters name me one FF where you start out with an Airship and can roam the whole game. pfff u people make shit up all day long. Or the ever famous cry of Wahhh it's like a corridor u can't free roam. Well no duh, no FF game lets you wonder the whole game from the get go. If there is one name it now or forver hold your tongue! NO ONE CAN NAME an older FF game with an airship from the get go or walk the world from the start without mountains and water/oceans blocking you. YOU'RE MAKING COMPLAINTS UP YOU LOOK SILLY PEEPS. Those who complain with these statements don't even know what they're talking about. Except the I/X  person yoloswag alot in this game so FFXIII is a bad game. So I gonna give it a 4 and complain about everything because GoW/COD is like all pew pew pew and tap tap tapand I only like old FF where you attack attack attack XXXXX infinity then battle music I winz. Dunno why I yoloswag in FFXIII it say FF on the box wtf SQeenix? In old FF I just xxxxxx and winz?! Dis say FF on box why I know winz SE? WHy?!!? Dont work no more, it worst FF I say! HAHAHA! Gonna give it a 4 now cuz I yoloswag to much.

Poster above me TP points that's what you were looking for. I prefer the no MP in FFXIII .The TP and no MP for generic spells, leave the TP for the Eidolons and Ultimate attacks. You should have picked up the Strategy Guide or read Wiki's, because the game isn't as difficult as u make it out to be. If you start mentally imagining how paradigms can be exploited to your benefit, sentinel skillz/1 and 2medic combinations, COm RavRav stagger beast etcs . No one has ever asked what's a good paradigm for X battle, well if you have that problem and a strategy guide you can figure that out a bit faster imho. Anyhow I really liked using the strategy guide because it saved me a lot of time remembering which monsters were weak to which magic or attacks, and you also have to use Libra/TP to unlock all the enemies weaknesses so when you do auto battle you can be sure your 2 members use effective attacks, because they'll now know the enemies weakness with the enemy data.

Yes all FF start you out with oceans/mountains and key story areas that need parameters met before you unlock total freedom in the game world that takes hours even in FF1 you get a boat early but you're still limited until you get dynamite to block the land mass.. Well I haven't played every FF but I have played the majority of and I never remember in 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,X getting a airship/boat right from the beginning.

FinalFantasyXIII said:
FlamingWeazel said:
FinalFantasyXIII said:
FlamingWeazel said:

Well I game on PS3 bro I guess Im not as big of balla as you how big yo wango u sound koo broz anyhow I loved Oblivion mass effect was wierd Skyrim was like yo its Oblivion but on a mountain never tried demon souls dark souls whatever that is ni no kuni finished that its good bouncy tits in my fa fa tales of Xilia looks koo dragon I never played and deus ex never played FF13 game me orgasms hourly like what game out of that shit list sgould i be playin yodawg u have so much swag tellz me broz u got mad big bowls and hot dog fo realz i know cuz u type bro so u true i got dat

Your answer says it all.

FinalFantasyXIII said:

LOL! All you FFXIII haters name me one FF where you start out with an Airship and can roam the whole game. pfff u people make shit up all day long. Or the ever famous cry of Wahhh it's like a corridor u can't free roam. Well no duh, no FF game lets you wonder the whole game from the get go. If there is one name it now or forver hold your tongue! NO ONE CAN NAME an older FF game with an airship from the get go or walk the world from the start without mountains and water/oceans blocking you. YOU'RE MAKING COMPLAINTS UP YOU LOOK SILLY PEEPS. Those who complain with these statements don't even know what they're talking about. Except the I/X  person yoloswag alot in this game so FFXIII is a bad game. So I gonna give it a 4 and complain about everything because GoW/COD is like all pew pew pew and tap tap tapand I only like old FF where you attack attack attack XXXXX infinity then battle music I winz. Dunno why I yoloswag in FFXIII it say FF on the box wtf SQeenix? In old FF I just xxxxxx and winz?! Dis say FF on box why I know winz SE? WHy?!!? Dont work no more, it worst FF I say! HAHAHA! Gonna give it a 4 now cuz I yoloswag to much.

Poster above me TP points that's what you were looking for. I prefer the no MP in FFXIII .The TP and no MP for generic spells, leave the TP for the Eidolons and Ultimate attacks. You should have picked up the Strategy Guide or read Wiki's, because the game isn't as difficult as u make it out to be. If you start mentally imagining how paradigms can be exploited to your benefit, sentinel skillz/1 and 2medic combinations, COm RavRav stagger beast etcs . No one has ever asked what's a good paradigm for X battle, well if you have that problem and a strategy guide you can figure that out a bit faster imho. Anyhow I really liked using the strategy guide because it saved me a lot of time remembering which monsters were weak to which magic or attacks, and you also have to use Libra/TP to unlock all the enemies weaknesses so when you do auto battle you can be sure your 2 members use effective attacks, because they'll now know the enemies weakness with the enemy data.

Yes all FF start you out with oceans/mountains and key story areas that need parameters met before you unlock total freedom in the game world that takes hours even in FF1 you get a boat early but you're still limited until you get dynamite to block the land mass.. Well I haven't played every FF but I have played the majority of and I never remember in 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,X getting a airship/boat right from the beginning.

No, we can't name an old FF game with Airship from the start but that's not what we want. Airship is about the exploration of the world you are playing in. In 1-12 you could take an airship, whether via minimap (X and XII) or graphical representation and fly around the world map. It allows you to find new locations or go places you've been before and find hidden secrets. It's not a matter of when you get it but getting it at all. We don't want to find 'Island Closest to Hell' in FF8 as soon as the game starts, that's silly. But I'd like to revisit many locations I've been before, to refight enemies, explore hidden story aspects or play minigames near the end of the game before completing it. In FFXIII I was unable to do this, no world map, I could go back to Pulse this allowed me some freedom to roam but only Pulse, it was very limited.

I never said I found it hard, I found it frustrating. I didn't die because it was hard, I died because it was only my main character that perished, majority of times in normal enemy fights (not bosses) before I could respond. I learnt how to manipulate paradigms over time and TP was handy but isn't the same as MP at all, characters seemed to learn what magic to use buy auto-attacking and them realising fire doesn't work again Bomb (another example there, a bomb instakilling my main character so game over).

There are a lot of things the game did well, mainly graphically and I understand your points but compared to other Final Fantasy games it was in my view the poorest I've played.

Hmm, pie.

FinalFantasyXIII said:
FlamingWeazel said:
FinalFantasyXIII said:
FlamingWeazel said:

Is it possible to use a little more grammer in your post's, not tryin to attack you but your post's are kinda unreadable. I would just like to understand where you are coming from and maybe see what you are actually saying.

Strictly as a Fanboy, I knew I would never own Final Fantasy XIII after it was announced for the 360, along with Tekken 6 this felt like such a betrayal in my eyes that I promised myself I would never buy these games, simply borrow them off a friend if needs be, and I did just that with both titles, I enjoyed Tekken 6 but FFXIII not so much. Coming from the high that was XII (my favourite entry in the franchise) I was taken aback by the linear level design and the fact that battles didn't take place in the open world as they had done in XII, this felt like going backwards gameplay wise. The characters and story didn't really grip me either.

I'm holding out for a HD re-release of XII these days.

Playstation gaming for 18 years this 2012