By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII series sold over 10 million games, do they deserve it?

FinalFantasyXIII said:
pauluzzz1981 said:
No freaking way!

FF 13 was absolutely crap! Graphics dont cover up weak gameplay and corridor hunting. I almost made it to the end, but then i thought f*ck it.

This post right here is what I think the main complaint came down to. Half the people that picked up this game wanted the whole game to be a sandbox game, but they didn't pay attention and just assumed it would be like Skyrim, and wrongly so. This person and people like him/her should make sure FFXV is sandboxy enough for them before they pre-order, or else you only have yourself to blame for getting a game that doesn't play how YOU want it to. which really is very immature of yourself.

Look, I liked FF XIII, but you can't expect people not to be deceived when in all FF's lifespawn, you've always able to walk around, talk to NPCs and do things; sleep at inns, mash X while walking around to see what banal thing your character picks up, and minigames such as card-games and things like that.

Then comes FF XIII and you can't do any of those things. It's not a matter of people assuming the wrong genre, but it is a case on which the game departed from the original formula, and brought a solid combat system which is the thing that carries the game right until Pulse.

Around the Network
Wright said:
FinalFantasyXIII said:
pauluzzz1981 said:
No freaking way!

FF 13 was absolutely crap! Graphics dont cover up weak gameplay and corridor hunting. I almost made it to the end, but then i thought f*ck it.

This post right here is what I think the main complaint came down to. Half the people that picked up this game wanted the whole game to be a sandbox game, but they didn't pay attention and just assumed it would be like Skyrim, and wrongly so. This person and people like him/her should make sure FFXV is sandboxy enough for them before they pre-order, or else you only have yourself to blame for getting a game that doesn't play how YOU want it to. which really is very immature of yourself.

Look, I liked FF XIII, but you can't expect people not to be deceived when in all FF's lifespawn, you've always able to walk around, talk to NPCs and do things; sleep at inns, mash X while walking around to see what banal thing your character picks up, and minigames such as card-games and things like that.

Then comes FF XIII and you can't do any of those things. It's not a matter of people assuming the wrong genre, but it is a case on which the game departed from the original formula, and brought a solid combat system which is the thing that carries the game right until Pulse.

Minigames sucked in 7 the snowboarding mini game made me want to put in Coolboarders. The racing section made me want to play Jet Moto. Card games, well rather get out a bicycle card deck and play anygame I want. I thought they were terrible! Just like the mini games on Mystical Ninja SNES, just cheapo non fun games to waste time with. NPC's usually tell you nothing in FF games too. Let me get you some real NPC quotes or bad dialog.

-"Restore the Crystals to grace."

-"Monsters are going to get you."

-Aeris - "This guy are sick." <- fail translation lolz

Ehhh actually no not going into that, the reason you don't really need NPC's in FFXIII is it's cinematic by nature, it's a technologically advanced society too. They dont sell axes because this game doesn't take place in the middle freaking ages if you failed to notice. It's also to fast paced of a story to be slowed down by FF NPC troping, and it also trys to keep tension constant imho along with the battle system. Your whole party is branded L-Cie, you are under constant survelience and trying to hide from the Santum and Fal Cie and move forward without being seen, and not be detected even the townsfolk will sell you out because they're so brainwashed by Fal Cie they truely think you're the enemy. So why the f*** would you go to a town and talk to EVERY NPC WRIGHT? When the CHARACTERS ARE BRANDED? The story only sucks because people like yourself FAIL to understand basic concepts in the games story!

Vanilles Brand=

The story revolves around the characters specifically, not NPCs in towns. There's no generic stuff like "Oh hey!" "my daddy was a miner and now they're alot of monsters in the mines, it's really bad you need to be careful going into said mine/cave/dungeon! Take an Axe! You know what I mean? Well you probably don't...ugh.

How many times do we have to read those boring NPC comments? It doesn't make a game fanatastic when they're really an overused FF trope, that becomes specifically annoying. Or another common one. Your party bumps into a soldier(s) and they talk down to your party like you're a bunch d-bag kids? Or there's some really amazing spell caster in some town and you need an item to give to them to make x item. I'm under and over that in my FF games. You can all complain about it, but i doubt these current developers are going to de-evolve and do throwbacks because of you complainers. Especially when it goes in complete opposite flow to the plot/storyline.  Which you and plenty of others fail to even understand it in its most basic form. :)

Lol, no.
FF XIII is the worst travesty to happen to FF.

FinalFantasyXIII said:

On 1 hand you have Wii Sports on another hand you have FFXIII. Now which takes more brains to play and be enjoyed? Average gamer says why can't I just swing it and win? Well you have to choose actions very carefully and pay attention to the storyline, turn up your bell tones. Exactly. Haters ensue and swarm on it like overweight people at a buffet. They even so mad they make threads about it being to successful. Why? I think some people are never satisfied with anything you give them unless its the same old same old and easy beyond compare. Most people can't handle more than that without blowing an aorta.

Wii Sports.

"you have to choose actions very carefully". Your choice is in like HOTD, shoot or reload (press X, or press whatever button was there to paradigm shift). The existence of two sequels to that piece of trash and the fact that I even got the European LE pisses me off even more.

Xen said:

Lol, no.

FinalFantasyXIII said:

On 1 hand you have Wii Sports on another hand you have FFXIII. Now which takes more brains to play and be enjoyed? Average gamer says why can't I just swing it and win? Well you have to choose actions very carefully and pay attention to the storyline, turn up your bell tones. Exactly. Haters ensue and swarm on it like overweight people at a buffet. They even so mad they make threads about it being to successful. Why? I think some people are never satisfied with anything you give them unless its the same old same old and easy beyond compare. Most people can't handle more than that without blowing an aorta.

Wii Sports.

"you have to choose actions very carefully". Your choice is in like HOTD, shoot or reload (press X, or press whatever button was there to paradigm shift). The existence of two sequels to that piece of trash and the fact that I even got the European LE pisses me off even more.

Good for you, you're awesome! FFXIII series deserves plenty more sales, but the game is to complex for casuals and oldschool PS1 hardcores.

FinalFantasyXIII said:
Xen said:

Lol, no.

FinalFantasyXIII said:

Wii Sports.

Good for you, you're awesome! FFXIII series deserves plenty more sales, but the game is to complex for casuals.

Good for you, you're awesome! So much wrong in just one reply.

Good day to you, sir. It's pointless to talk to anyone who puts FF XIII above Wii Sports.

Around the Network
Xen said:
FinalFantasyXIII said:
Xen said:

Lol, no.

FinalFantasyXIII said:

Wii Sports.

Good for you, you're awesome! FFXIII series deserves plenty more sales, but the game is to complex for casuals.

Good for you, you're awesome! So much wrong in just one reply.

Good day to you, sir. It's pointless to talk to anyone who puts FF XIII above Wii Sports.

I'm saying they're two different games, but 1 has no story and gameplay a 4 year old can grasp. The other requires its audience to enjoy and contemplate a fantasy-sci-fi story, with strategic battle elements and a more complex gameplay. Good day to you too!

FinalFantasyXIII said:

Ehhh actually no not going into that, the reason you don't really need NPC's in FFXIII is it's cinematic by nature, it's a technologically advanced society too. They dont sell axes because this game doesn't take place in the middle freaking ages if you failed to notice. It's also to fast paced of a story to be slowed down by FF NPC troping, and it also trys to keep tension constant imho along with the battle system. Your whole party is branded L-Cie, you are under constant survelience and trying to hide by the Santum and Fal Cie and move forward without being seen, and not be detected even the townsfolk will sell you out because they're so brainwashed by Fal Cie they truely think you're the enemy. So why the f*** would you go to a town and talk to EVERY NPC WRIGHT? When the CHARACTERS ARE BRANDED? The story only sucks because people like yourself FAIL to understand basic concepts in the games story!

The story revolves around the characters specifically, not NPCs in towns. There's no generic stuff like "Oh hey!" "my daddy was a miner and now they're alot of monsters in the mines, it's really bad you need to be careful going into said mine/cave/dungeon! Take an Axe! You know what I mean? Well you probably don't...ugh.

Let me see if I understand this.

FinalFantasyXIII said:

It's also to fast paced of a story to be slowed down by FF NPC troping,

Bodhum was NPC troping, badly done. But SE did NPC troping anyway. There's unnecesary troping in other situations (one I'll quote just in the next point), so it is dumb to not put actual meaningful conversations or banal trivia. It didn't hurt them to do so.

FinalFantasyXIII said:

So why the f*** would you go to a town and talk to EVERY NPC WRIGHT? When the CHARACTERS ARE BRANDED?

Not only that, but they also watched the show and screw around with the chocobos. Which also comes to my first point; they could have implemented some kind of minigame here. A chocobo race or something. Duh, no, let's chase a small chocobo just to be rewarded with a stupid ring. Thanks SE.

They did went to a city knowing the full implications of it. Oh! Let me bring that image of yours again!

Did anyone noticed in Nautilus? No. So moot point.

FinalFantasyXIII said:

The story only sucks because people like yourself FAIL to understand basic concepts in the games story!

I never said the story suck. :)  But you see, because the story wants the characters to "hurry" doesn't mean they can't have time to spare. This is not a flaw in the story; it's a videogame design. There was no hurry when people were on Pulse, were they? Or why would they go back to Pulse after reaching Eden's heart instead of going and fighting Barthandaleus at the moment? Well, let me tell you: the story wants the characters to hurry, but the gameplay don't. This is no Zelda: Majora's Mask on which you have the constat looming of the moon. No, there's no excuse for not puting a proper city or village NPC. And if you're going to go back to the "hurry story" thing, check this:

FinalFantasyXIII said:

There's no generic stuff like "Oh hey!" "my daddy was a miner and now they're alot of monsters in the mines, it's really bad you need to be careful going into said mine/cave/dungeon! Take an Axe! You know what I mean? Well you probably don't...ugh.

There's over sixty things of these ^. Let me ask you a question, why would the party try and do over sixty Cie'th missions if, according to you, the basic concept of the in-game story forces these guys to keep moving on?

SO WHY THE FUCK WOULD THEY GO THROUGH THE ENTIRE PULSE AND MAKE EVERY MISSION? When the CHARACTERS ARE BRANDED? Don't use the story to justify the unjustifiable; you FAIL to grasp the basic concepts of videogame design shielding behind a complex storyline.

EDIT: In any case, I'm glad XIII series sold over 10 million games, but I already said that.

You just blew my mind. I'm totally blown and I can't think righ now. I need breakfast ttyl guys.

FinalFantasyXIII said:

A203D said:ultimately I feel the series needs to drastically improve to recapture many

of the fans who were unhappy with the FF13 series.

FFXV will do just that imho. It has the Kingdom Hearts dev's behind it and the power of the PS4+SE.

oniyide said:
FinalFantasyXIII said:
A203D said:
Is this really an achievement? Selling 10 mil copies over 2 games across multiple platforms, with a total of what 8 - 10 years of development?

Like I've said before. The numbers speak for themselves. FF13-2 sold a lot less copies than its predecessor for obvious reasons. 10 mil copies is good, yet hardly an achievement for this series of games.

In FFXIII's defense it had a lower budget than FFVI,VII, VIII, and IX if you factor in inflation.

you got proof? that sounds like a lie. hell it probably is. 

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Most_expensive_video_games

Gilgamesh said:
Seece said:

Game deserves to sell what exactly what it sells. Never got this 'deserving' attitude? One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Well when a game like FFXIII is hyped to the stratosphere millions of people bought it just because it was the new main Final Fantasy game. There should be somewhat of an expection for a game like this but instead people hated it and so they made a second one, and people hated that even more and it got even less sales so what do they do, they make a third one, beating a dead horse anyone? Move on. Not to mention their being lazy reusing stuff thats been cut out of the first FFXIII game.

FFXIII isn't the only FF in town.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn PS4 launcehs soon.

Final Fantasy III Ouya

You have all the VC/PSN re-releases, the PSP Final Fantasy Type-0/Vita/DS re-releases and newer stuff like bravely Default for the 3DS. Along with FFLR and FFX-X2 Remakes and Kingdom Hearts Remakes. That's a huge amount of content SE is cranking out for us FF/JRPG fans imho. I like the FFXIII world so them reusing things makes total sense to me. :) If you don't prefer FFXIII there is plenty of other options SE has available. I don't see the reason to get all angry because FFXIII is not their only available title in quite some time.

where are FF13 info for how much it cost? Less say it was cheaper to make. Pretty sure that it didnt make them as much money as FF7 at least, especially considering that people are STILL buying that game.

oniyide said:
FinalFantasyXIII said:

A203D said:ultimately I feel the series needs to drastically improve to recapture many

of the fans who were unhappy with the FF13 series.

FFXV will do just that imho. It has the Kingdom Hearts dev's behind it and the power of the PS4+SE.

oniyide said:
FinalFantasyXIII said:
A203D said:
Is this really an achievement? Selling 10 mil copies over 2 games across multiple platforms, with a total of what 8 - 10 years of development?

Like I've said before. The numbers speak for themselves. FF13-2 sold a lot less copies than its predecessor for obvious reasons. 10 mil copies is good, yet hardly an achievement for this series of games.

In FFXIII's defense it had a lower budget than FFVI,VII, VIII, and IX if you factor in inflation.

you got proof? that sounds like a lie. hell it probably is. 

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Most_expensive_video_games

Gilgamesh said:
Seece said:

Game deserves to sell what exactly what it sells. Never got this 'deserving' attitude? One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Well when a game like FFXIII is hyped to the stratosphere millions of people bought it just because it was the new main Final Fantasy game. There should be somewhat of an expection for a game like this but instead people hated it and so they made a second one, and people hated that even more and it got even less sales so what do they do, they make a third one, beating a dead horse anyone? Move on. Not to mention their being lazy reusing stuff thats been cut out of the first FFXIII game.

FFXIII isn't the only FF in town.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn PS4 launcehs soon.

Final Fantasy III Ouya

You have all the VC/PSN re-releases, the PSP Final Fantasy Type-0/Vita/DS re-releases and newer stuff like bravely Default for the 3DS. Along with FFLR and FFX-X2 Remakes and Kingdom Hearts Remakes. That's a huge amount of content SE is cranking out for us FF/JRPG fans imho. I like the FFXIII world so them reusing things makes total sense to me. :) If you don't prefer FFXIII there is plenty of other options SE has available. I don't see the reason to get all angry because FFXIII is not their only available title in quite some time.

where are FF13 info for how much it cost? Less say it was cheaper to make. Pretty sure that it didnt make them as much money as FF7 at least, especially considering that people are STILL buying that game.

FF7 = 368 Million with (2013) inflation considered

FF13 =77 Million (2013)

Going by those numbers , and if FFXIII-2 was half the budget of the first maybe the whole series of FFXIII should be in the 150-200Million range. So if 175 Million overall that would be half of FF7's budget, and the FFXIII series should easily match overall sales between these 2 series and like you claim FF7 is still selling. Likewise I'm sure FFXIII series is still sellling in small numbers.

Which is better? As always that's for "you" to decide. Not me. :) But FFXIII is better than 7 ;)