By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata isn't Nintendo's problem. It's Miyamoto

Miyamoto is giving it one last hurrah before bowing out. I guess we'll see if he is the problem or not soon enough.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Around the Network
DevilRising said:
gigaSheik said:

Iwata is the one who greenlight projects so he's the one to blame.

Blame for what? People keep talking about "who's to blame". The only problem Nintendo had in 2013, was not getting their goddamn games out in a timely fashion. That's pretty much it. So wherever the blame lies for THAT, sure. The Wii U itself, is fine, the controller is a great piece of tech and fun to use, the eShop is lining up with a LOT of great upcoming content. The retail games are on their way. Third party support needs to pick back up for sure, but the system is going to do well in 2014, just on the strength of the games coming out this year. The question is not "will Wii U do well in 2014", but rather, HOW well will it do? Will it see moderate success, or substantial success. That all depends on how Nintendo plays their hand, and them making sure they deliever a steady flow of games from now on. There isn't any "blame" to be laid anywhere, honestly. They just need to pick their shit up and get back up to speed. Period.

The controller isn't a great piece of tech. Can you really say "OMG! I can't live without a touch screen controller! Its revolutionary! Essencial!" Great games are on the way. More than a year after the system's release. More 2D platform games? Bring it on. 300 for a 2D platform system. Remember the GC? Fanboys were like "wait for Metroid wait for Smash wait for Zelda wait for MK" and what happened? Wii U will sell like crap in 2014 and deserves so. We all know that. Wii U is a failure. Period.

DakonBlackblade said:
I agree Nintendo do not try to create new IPs they milk what they have and have been doing so since forever. I love Nintendo games, I got a WiiU to play 3d Land and Tropical Freeze, but the formula wont keep working forever, ppl are getting tired of the next Zelda and the next Mario, so much so that these IPs arent driving console sales as much as they used to, they need new stuf imo.

Nintendo made 9999999999999999 new IPs but noone knows.  Or if they know people ignore the games.   Another Code,  Magical Starsign, Disaster etc.

Nintendo should make a NINTENDO SERIES  like there is  "Tom Clancy's" or "Sid Meier's"  etc...

You know like 

NINTENDO's
Super Mario 3D WORLD

OR
NINTENDO's
Pokémon

And should apply this to new IP.

NINTENDO's
Xenoblade (at least in Europe/Japan)

NINTENDO's
Another Code

also apply this to Nintendo published games.

I mean there is alot of people out there that like Nintendo games but not everyone knows what a game is a Nintendo game. I once had a friend that pirated non Nintendo games and bought Nintendo games because third party simply couldnt reach Nintendo's level of quality. And most other games were lazy ports etc. (Wii) But he also pirated Metroid Prime Trilogy because he had no Idea Metroid is a Nintendo franchise until I told him.

Even Nintendo knows that people like Iconic Nintendo characters but it struggles establishing new IPs.  Thats why smash bros was supposed to be called  SUPER MARIO SMASH BROS.  (thank god they changed it) And thats also why most of the time when they comeup with great ideas like MarioKart back on SNES they say "hey lets put Nintendo characters into the game and then lets see how it ends up".  Most Mario games (party,sports etc) started as something else and get Mariofied.

Soundwave said:
DevilRising said:
gigaSheik said:

Iwata is the one who greenlight projects so he's the one to blame.

Blame for what? People keep talking about "who's to blame". The only problem Nintendo had in 2013, was not getting their goddamn games out in a timely fashion. That's pretty much it. So wherever the blame lies for THAT, sure. The Wii U itself, is fine, the controller is a great piece of tech and fun to use, the eShop is lining up with a LOT of great upcoming content. The retail games are on their way. Third party support needs to pick back up for sure, but the system is going to do well in 2014, just on the strength of the games coming out this year. The question is not "will Wii U do well in 2014", but rather, HOW well will it do? Will it see moderate success, or substantial success. That all depends on how Nintendo plays their hand, and them making sure they deliever a steady flow of games from now on. There isn't any "blame" to be laid anywhere, honestly. They just need to pick their shit up and get back up to speed. Period.

They have posted an operating loss for 3 straight years after never posting a loss in their history prior. The buck stops at Iwata, ultimately he has final say on all decisions at Nintendo. 

Honestly I think they probably are on pace to post a loss again next fiscal year. 

If Pokemon X/Y, Mario 3D World, Animal Crossing, 2DS + 3DS, Monster Hunter 4 royalties, Zelda: ALBW couldn't turn a profit for them I don't think this year's lineup is appreciably better for sales. It looks like the 3DS has peaked already for year-over-year sales so they are likely looking at lower 3DS sales next year. 

The Wii U isn't fine, it's a disaster right now and a financial drain on Nintendo. No one but a very small minority care about that controller. 

people dont want to believe that the hardware is a major issue. Games will save it is a crap excuse. they've released alot of big guns alread.y

JazzB1987 said:
DakonBlackblade said:
I agree Nintendo do not try to create new IPs they milk what they have and have been doing so since forever. I love Nintendo games, I got a WiiU to play 3d Land and Tropical Freeze, but the formula wont keep working forever, ppl are getting tired of the next Zelda and the next Mario, so much so that these IPs arent driving console sales as much as they used to, they need new stuf imo.

Nintendo made 9999999999999999 new IPs but noone knows.  Or if they know people ignore the games.   Another Code,  Magical Starsign, Disaster etc.

Nintendo should make a NINTENDO SERIES  like there is  "Tom Clancy's" or "Sid Meier's"  etc...

You know like 

NINTENDO's
Super Mario 3D WORLD

OR
NINTENDO's
Pokémon

And should apply this to new IP.

NINTENDO's
Xenoblade (at least in Europe/Japan)

NINTENDO's
Another Code

also apply this to Nintendo published games.

I mean there is alot of people out there that like Nintendo games but not everyone knows what a game is a Nintendo game. I once had a friend that pirated non Nintendo games and bought Nintendo games because third party simply couldnt reach Nintendo's level of quality. And most other games were lazy ports etc. (Wii) But he also pirated Metroid Prime Trilogy because he had no Idea Metroid is a Nintendo franchise until I told him.

Even Nintendo knows that people like Iconic Nintendo characters but it struggles establishing new IPs.  Thats why smash bros was supposed to be called  SUPER MARIO SMASH BROS.  (thank god they changed it) And thats also why most of the time when they comeup with great ideas like MarioKart back on SNES they say "hey lets put Nintendo characters into the game and then lets see how it ends up".  Most Mario games (party,sports etc) started as something else and get Mariofied.

These games are not Nintendo, theyre exclusive to Nintendos plataforms and were published by Nintendo but where developed by other companies, its like saying Blue Dragon is a Nintendo IP, it isnt.

Nint thinks thought theyre IPs would sell WiiUs, they even predicted 20 mil WiiUs sold last year based on Mario releasing and Mario Kart anouncement, they trust too much on theyre classical series they need new stuf badly its not working anymore.

Around the Network

Wow, an article I completely agree with. This guy makes some good points. It seems like some commenters didn't bother reading and simply resorted to "why he insult the great Miyamoto?"

I do think it would be some great new IP that ultimately sells the wii U not another Mario Kart or Smash Bros like a lot on this site think.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Soundwave said:

They have posted an operating loss for 3 straight years after never posting a loss in their history prior. The buck stops at Iwata, ultimately he has final say on all decisions at Nintendo. 

Honestly I think they probably are on pace to post a loss again next fiscal year. 

If Pokemon X/Y, Mario 3D World, Animal Crossing, 2DS + 3DS, Monster Hunter 4 royalties, Zelda: ALBW couldn't turn a profit for them I don't think this year's lineup is appreciably better for sales. It looks like the 3DS has peaked already for year-over-year sales so they are likely looking at lower 3DS sales next year. 

The Wii U isn't fine, it's a disaster right now and a financial drain on Nintendo. No one but a very small minority care about that controller. 

Speak for yourself. I've said it too many times, but I'll let it fall on "deaf ears" once again: I've seen and heard MANY people, including here at VGC, claim that they WANT a Wii U, but are waiting for Mario Kart/Smash Bros/X/Zelda/Whatever to come out before buying one. I've heard that so many times I've lost count. There are a lot more gamers out there who want a Wii U than you would probably assume, but many have held back on buying one "until more games come out". Just as many people did last gen with the PS3. It's not surprising, it happens every gaming generation, not everyone runs out and buys a console at launch or even within the first year. In fact I'd wager MOST gamers wait till price drops or more game releases occur.

So spin that however you will, but the fact of the matter is things are nowhere near as dire as many of you constantly like to pain them to be.

DevilRising said:
Soundwave said:

Speak for yourself. I've said it too many times, but I'll let it fall on "deaf ears" once again: I've seen and heard MANY people, including here at VGC, claim that they WANT a Wii U, but are waiting for Mario Kart/Smash Bros/X/Zelda/Whatever to come out before buying one. I've heard that so many times I've lost count. There are a lot more gamers out there who want a Wii U than you would probably assume, but many have held back on buying one "until more games come out". Just as many people did last gen with the PS3. It's not surprising, it happens every gaming generation, not everyone runs out and buys a console at launch or even within the first year. In fact I'd wager MOST gamers wait till price drops or more game releases occur.

So spin that however you will, but the fact of the matter is things are nowhere near as dire as many of you constantly like to pain them to be.

i really dont think you should base anything on what people say online, even this site. a good chunk of them are probably lying

I won't even waste my time reading this crap as it seems they are attacking people at Nintendo who made the company a success.

and honestly it feels like they fear they will make something good to push the company even further so they want them out before they have the chance to do so.

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

I think the article has some valid points, but calling Miyamoto for a "problem" isn't one of them. Yes, Nintendo needs to bring new IP's - new EXPERIENCES - to the masses, and that is Miyamoto's responsibility, but never call the man who saved the gaming industry from the crash in the 80's, and that invented a whole new genre and pushed innovative game play like no other for a "problem". That shit just ain't right.

With the only exception of Hiroshi Yamauchi, Shigeru Miyamoto is the most important person since the 3rd gen in video gaming.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.