By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - SSB For WiiU/3DS Topic #2: Which will sell more?

Which will sell more (Smash Bros):

WiiU version 85 47.22%

3DS version 95 52.78%

Total:180
episteme said:
oniyide said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Install base won't play a huge role in sales, for example...

Sonic Colors (2010/Wii): 1.56 million
Sonic Colors (2010/DS): 1.19 million (larger install base)

Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed (2012/3DS): 200,000 (larger install base)
Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing (2012/Wii U): 300,000

Lego City Undercover (2013/Wii U): 700,000
Lego City Undercover (2013/3DS): 930,000

Sonic Lost Worlds (2013/Wii U): 180,000
Sonic Lost Worlds (2013/3DS): 260,000

you're right, but those numbers dont tell the whole story. In the case of Sonic Colors, they are not even the same game so that is a bad comparison. Colors for DS is really just Rush 3 with a Colors coat of paint. Still good (I played both) but they are not the same game.

All stars racing, the 3ds version didnt come out till after the console ones, had they been released the same time i think the numbers would be a bit closer.

The last two games are what we need to look at as there circumstances are more closer to those of Smash. they both released at the same time and both are the same game at least in terms of gameplay. Hell i cant remember if there was a SOnic game that had a portable and console version so close together in terms of the actual game itself and not name. even in the Genesis/GameGear days

IMHO i think as long as their is parity between wii u and 3ds version of the game and they release the same time. the 3ds version will come out on top.

Sonic Lost World on 3DS is terrible, the Wii U version is way better. It's 3-4/10 vs. 7-8/10 to me.

The same seems to be true for LCU and Sonic Racing, but I only played the Wii U versions.

thats your opinion and quite frankly and quite frankly it doesnt mesh with what most people have said about the game. its like a 5 point difference on Metacritic, I played both and they didnt seem that much different to me. And the sales show that their cant be that much difference in quality as the 3ds version is doing way better. Or maybe people would rather just settle? Did you play Wii U version post patch? is their even a 3ds patch? what made the WIi u version so much better?

I played teh PS3 version and 3ds version of sonic racing and the 3ds version blows. But again that doesnt answer why these games did better on 3ds, obviously quality doesnt seem to be much of a factor, if the game is close enough some people wont bother and just stick to the 3ds version, I think the same situation will happen with Smash

Around the Network

Bump!

Wii U and probably by quite a bit

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
Wii U and probably by quite a bit

It makes so much sense why it would, no doubt cuz many will have the best version (even though they'll be different). The thing thats making me think 3ds is not so much the install base but when people play SSB on WiiU they need 1 copy and friends can come over. With 3ds you need your own copy. Im buying a wii u copy and 2 3DS copies (maybe a 3rd for my sis) !

3DS.

I don't think it is possible for the Wii U version to outsell the 3DS version, unless the 3DS version is severely gimped.

Around the Network

Japan - 3DS by far.
Europe - 3DS. Only because the WiiU version will do catastrophically over there.
America - This will be a little closer. I am going to lean with the 3DS as well.

That is, assuming Nintendo doesn't do something stupid like neglecting the 3DS version in favor of the WiiU version (regarding marketing and content).

EDIT: Also, IMO, if the game had been a 3DS exclusive, it could have had the potential to outsell the WiiU.

tbone51 said:

It makes so much sense why it would, no doubt cuz many will have the best version (even though they'll be different). The thing thats making me think 3ds is not so much the install base but when people play SSB on WiiU they need 1 copy and friends can come over. With 3ds you need your own copy. Im buying a wii u copy and 2 3DS copies (maybe a 3rd for my sis) !

Is that confirmed though? That is not the case with Mario Kart 7, for example.

morenoingrato said:
tbone51 said:

Is that confirmed though? That is not the case with Mario Kart 7, for example.

your right (DL play) but the difference is MK7 had no option to pick a character (always shy guy) and same kart! SSB 3DS might have it but i doubt it being such a big game. Also in game has some sort of customization to connect with wii u supposedly!?

Spazzy_D said:
Wii U. It's not a system saving game, but it is a system seller. The Smash community is pretty big, and they are firmly behind the Wii U version.

It could've been a system saving game, but since is on 3DS too, Smash loses its system seller category for me. Mario Kart 8 it's Wii U's last hope, because even a better catalog for the system, with great games like Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World and Wind Waker, it's not saving the system.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.