By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - SSB For WiiU/3DS Topic #2: Which will sell more?

Which will sell more (Smash Bros):

WiiU version 85 47.22%

3DS version 95 52.78%

Total:180

wii U 5 mil lifetime.

3ds 4 mil lifetime.

im optmistic.

Around the Network

By total sales, I think it will be the 3DS version. However, if we judge by sales relative to install base (attachment rate), the Wii U version will drastically surpass the 3DS version.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

im betting on 3ds version, Just like Lego city and Sonic before it.

oniyide said:

I think there is a huge difference with comparing them but we'll see later

edit: aside from install base, Japan(HH land) and Having others requiring  there own copy of the game i definitely can see 3ds outsell WiiU version!

I actually think the Wii U version will sell the best, Smash is more at home on the home console, has the lovely HD visuals and local multiplayer will be better. I imagine its harder to see the action on the 3DS when the camera pans out.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
oniyide said:

I think there is a huge difference with comparing them but we'll see later

edit: aside from install base, Japan(HH land) and Having others requiring  there own copy of the game i definitely can see 3ds outsell WiiU version!

i dont think so, its no different than when people said Lego would sell better on Wii U and same with SOnic and they were both wrong, hell the 3ds version of both of those games barely got advertised and it still did better. Whats going to happen when the 3ds one gets actual marketing?

zippy said:
I actually think the Wii U version will sell the best, Smash is more at home on the home console, has the lovely HD visuals and local multiplayer will be better. I imagine its harder to see the action on the 3DS when the camera pans out.

isnt that what they said about Lego? sans the MP part?

Install base won't play a huge role in sales, for example...

Sonic Colors (2010/Wii): 1.56 million
Sonic Colors (2010/DS): 1.19 million (larger install base)

Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed (2012/3DS): 200,000 (larger install base)
Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing (2012/Wii U): 300,000

Lego City Undercover (2013/Wii U): 700,000
Lego City Undercover (2013/3DS): 930,000

Sonic Lost Worlds (2013/Wii U): 180,000
Sonic Lost Worlds (2013/3DS): 260,000

TheLegendaryWolf said:

Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed (2012/3DS): 200,000 (larger install base)

you're right, but those numbers dont tell the whole story. In the case of Sonic Colors, they are not even the same game so that is a bad comparison. Colors for DS is really just Rush 3 with a Colors coat of paint. Still good (I played both) but they are not the same game.

All stars racing, the 3ds version didnt come out till after the console ones, had they been released the same time i think the numbers would be a bit closer.

The last two games are what we need to look at as there circumstances are more closer to those of Smash. they both released at the same time and both are the same game at least in terms of gameplay. Hell i cant remember if there was a SOnic game that had a portable and console version so close together in terms of the actual game itself and not name. even in the Genesis/GameGear days

IMHO i think as long as their is parity between wii u and 3ds version of the game and they release the same time. the 3ds version will come out on top.

oniyide said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:

you're right, but those numbers dont tell the whole story. In the case of Sonic Colors, they are not even the same game so that is a bad comparison. Colors for DS is really just Rush 3 with a Colors coat of paint. Still good (I played both) but they are not the same game.

All stars racing, the 3ds version didnt come out till after the console ones, had they been released the same time i think the numbers would be a bit closer.

The last two games are what we need to look at as there circumstances are more closer to those of Smash. they both released at the same time and both are the same game at least in terms of gameplay. Hell i cant remember if there was a SOnic game that had a portable and console version so close together in terms of the actual game itself and not name. even in the Genesis/GameGear days

IMHO i think as long as their is parity between wii u and 3ds version of the game and they release the same time. the 3ds version will come out on top.

Sonic Lost World on 3DS is terrible, the Wii U version is way better. It's 3-4/10 vs. 7-8/10 to me.

The same seems to be true for LCU and Sonic Racing, but I only played the Wii U versions.