By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 version of Tomb Raider most definitive, both next-gen look better than PC version (confirmed)

Cobretti2 said:
so what we learned is the 360 PS3 dumbed down the PC version lol.

PS3 and 360 have been holding back games for a good few years now.

Got the PS4 versions pre ordered. Wanted to play this last year but never got around to it. There's not a right lot on PS4 at the moment so seems like the perfect time to catch up with it. 60fps is the icing on the cake.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
Slade6alpha said:
I thought no one cared about this game and was a "ripoff"?

Read my mind.  I mean the game sold very well and got high review scores (one of my top five games of 2013) but I remember it getting ignored, being called Uncharted rip-off, etc.  Now it's getting so much attention!  It's pretty much accepted as fact that the PS4 is more capable than Xbox One.  What's the hub-bub?

the-pi-guy said:
TheShape31 said:

I know this.  And I'm not saying that anyone else is saying this.  I just think that the only way to make a fair comparison is a PC vs. PS4 'Definitive Version' face-off.

I don't see the value in a $60 re-release of a remastered game from a year ago.  Especially since it's so arguable which version even looks better.

Arguable with PC vs PS4 versions.  Many people are going to go for the PS4 because they don't have a PC that runs well enough.  You may not see the value in it, but there are definitely those that will.  Especially those whose only experience with the game was spent on a PS3/360 or even on a PC that just can't handle it.  

The PC version has been selling for less than $10 recently.  That's really what this ends up coming down to, regardless of whether or not there are some better textures and higher polygon counts.  I 100% understand why some people that have waited for this game on PS4 and XB1, though they deserve a better deal.  I say that it's worth $40 or less since it's basically a year-old game with a texture pack.

Didn't the Witcher 2 on the 360 look better then the PC version too? At least for a while until they patched the improvements into the PC too.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

d21lewis said:
Slade6alpha said:
I thought no one cared about this game and was a "ripoff"?

Read my mind.  I mean the game sold very well and got high review scores (one of my top five games of 2013) but I remember it getting ignored, being called Uncharted rip-off, etc.  Now it's getting so much attention!  It's pretty much accepted as fact that the PS4 is more capable than Xbox One.  What's the hub-bub?

That a game is getting a lot of attention, doesn't automatically mean that a lot of people will buy it too...

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

It´s nice to know this reviwer has a bionic eye and is able to dicern when the frame rate goes from 60 to 50 fps or from 30 to 40 and than have the processing ability to estimate how ofen those dips happens in the first moments of the game.

Porcupine_I said:
Didn't the Witcher 2 on the 360 look better then the PC version too? At least for a while until they patched the improvements into the PC too.

no, they tweaked some things. But it had worse textures, resolution, shadows, etc.

They added extra content that came released with standard X360 that was not in standard PC version. 

But all this was released on PC in a patch a week prior to X360 release

Dark_Feanor said:
It´s nice to know this reviwer has a bionic eye and is able to dicern when the frame rate goes from 60 to 50 fps or from 30 to 40 and than have the processing ability to estimate how ofen those dips happens in the first moments of the game.

60fps target vs 30fps target is perfectly clear to see. Frame dips are also noticible, however it would be difficult to be precise about exactly what the frame rate has dropped to.

MikeRox said:
Dark_Feanor said:

60fps target vs 30fps target is perfectly clear to see. Frame dips are also noticible, however it would be difficult to be precise about exactly what the frame rate has dropped to.

Never heard of a game target at 30 that goes up to 45fps. ( on consoles)

Don´t know what Crystal Dinamics engine is doing to avoid shuttering.

I just don´t like unlocked frame rates. I have been playing Assassins Creed Brotherhood on my PC and its kind anoying and cloying when the game goes up (probably close or more than 60fps) and then goes down again.

I think this random framerate lark is a relatively new thing. I'm old school, so it was always either 30fps or 60fps locked. Any fluctuations then would be purely down to frame skips. I don't really like Killzone: Shadowfalls fluctuating framerate. I actually find it incredibly distracting over a locked frame rate.