By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Palutena playable in smash bros?

Aielyn said:
I believe the images to probably be real (or a really good fan creation)...

... but I don't think Palutena will be playable. If anything, I'd expect this to be a scene from some sort of story mode (remember, he has only said "no Subspace Emissary style story mode"). Even just an "adventure mode" type, with Palutena showing up in a quick cutscene before the Kid Icarus inspired level, is plausible.

Basically, until it's officially announced, I will assume Palutena isn't going to be playable, if only because I don't think she's suited to combat (she has Pit for that sort of thing, after all).

Bolded: To be fair, they did add R.O.B, which isn't exactly a prime example of a creation suited for combat. 

Around the Network
IsawYoshi said:
Aielyn said:

... but I don't think Palutena will be playable. If anything, I'd expect this to be a scene from some sort of story mode (remember, he has only said "no Subspace Emissary style story mode"). Even just an "adventure mode" type, with Palutena showing up in a quick cutscene before the Kid Icarus inspired level, is plausible.

Basically, until it's officially announced, I will assume Palutena isn't going to be playable, if only because I don't think she's suited to combat (she has Pit for that sort of thing, after all).

Bolded: To be fair, they did add R.O.B, which isn't exactly a prime example of a creation suited for combat. 

True, but R.O.B is a key "character" from Nintendo history, and there is no other way to add a character from its IP. Also, my point about not being suited to combat wasn't so much about "it wouldn't make sense to have her fighting at all", as it was "it's why she has Pit - he's her avatar, her fighter". Having her as a fighter would be like having General Pepper from Star Fox as a playable character. I'm sure that Sakurai could create a moveset for her that would work... but her character doesn't suit it.

Looks real enough. Has anyone searched the released images to see if she's covering up a smaller character?

char is not important enought to be a fake

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

JoeTheBro said:
Looks real enough. Has anyone searched the released images to see if she's covering up a smaller character?

The people at Smashboards and over at Neogaf have been trying there hardest to find out if this is a fake, and what we do know is that picture of Mario has NEVER appeared in any of the released Smash media (they even went through the direct frame by frame.)  Also, that background is also 100% unique (never seen at that exact angle.)

I'm some what excited, as these things are usually debunked quickly.  Also, KI: Uprising sold over a million copies, and the previous games sold well even if old, so let's not pretend that this character is an unknown.

Around the Network
Spazzy_D said:
JoeTheBro said:

The people at Smashboards and over at Neogaf have been trying there hardest to find out if this is a fake, and what we do know is that picture of Mario has NEVER appeared in any of the released Smash media (they even went through the direct frame by frame.)  Also, that background is also 100% unique (never seen at that exact angle.)

I'm some what excited, as these things are usually debunked quickly.  Also, KI: Uprising sold over a million copies, and the previous games sold well even if old, so let's not pretend that this character is an unknown.

Also, let's not forget Kid Icarus: Uprising is Sakurai's last project before Smash.

Signature goes here!

I really hope this is real. She would be the first female I main in SSB.

Aielyn said:
IsawYoshi said:
Aielyn said:

True, but R.O.B is a key "character" from Nintendo history, and there is no other way to add a character from its IP. Also, my point about not being suited to combat wasn't so much about "it wouldn't make sense to have her fighting at all", as it was "it's why she has Pit - he's her avatar, her fighter". Having her as a fighter would be like having General Pepper from Star Fox as a playable character. I'm sure that Sakurai could create a moveset for her that would work... but her character doesn't suit it.

The same could be said with Peach and Zelda had we had this conversation before Melee came out as well as Rosalina before her announcement, and look where we are with that:

Don't go thinking a character can't hold their own just because most of their time was spent giving out commands or allowing someone to fight on their behalf. One way or another, even commanders can fight if it's their last resort or if they have no choice, and unless you never played Uprising's Chapter 20, Palutena CAN fight:

http://kidicarus.wikia.com/wiki/Palutena#Powers_and_Abilities Even if she was controlled by the Chaos Kin, she still had powers of her own.

Altruino said:
The same could be said with Peach and Zelda had we had this conversation before Melee came out as well as Rosalina before her announcement, and look where we are with that:

Don't go thinking a character can't hold their own just because most of their time was spent giving out commands or allowing someone to fight on their behalf. One way or another, even commanders can fight if it's their last resort or if they have no choice, and unless you never played Uprising's Chapter 20, Palutena CAN fight:

http://kidicarus.wikia.com/wiki/Palutena#Powers_and_Abilities Even if she was controlled by the Chaos Kin, she still had powers of her own.

As I said, my issue isn't with the character's suitability to a moveset, it's her suitability in terms of characterisation. Pit exists to fight on Palutena's behalf (he is her avatar). Peach, Zelda, and Rosalina do not have such a character. I'm sure Palutena could fight if she had to, and as I said, Sakurai could undoubtedly come up with a moveset for her... but she shouldn't be fighting. It's not that Palutena was *allowing* Pit to fight on her behalf - it's his job to do so. It's why he exists.

So yeah, it's characterisation that makes me think Palutena is unsuited to playability, not functional potential.