By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - The Wii U Strikes Back?

Soundwave said:
superhippy420 said:
PlayStationLegend said:

superhippy420 said:

DK games have always sold a minimum or 5 million.  The only one that did'nt (DKC3) still sold 3.5 million and you couldnt use DK or Diddy, and it came out when the next-gen had already launched.     On top of all of that Tropical Freeze is on pace to have 1.5 times more pre-orders then Super Mario 3D World which has already sold 1.65 million WW, and 1.4 million Wii U's have been sold since SM3DW's launch.   With the hype around it, and the appeal to casual and hardcore gamers, I would'nt even be shocked if this Donkey Kong does better then SM3DW, expecially since Nintendo has'nt overused the Donkey Kong franchise by any means.   Even the 3DS port of DKCR has sold 1.2 million, which would make it the top selling Vita game.  

Still won't "re-vitalise" the Wii U. ; )

Not on its own, but it will make the Wii U all that more appealing as time goes on.    A library with NSMBU,NintendoLand,Pikmin 3,Wind Waker HD, and SM3DW is pretty weak.  A library with those plus DK,Mario Kart,Smash Bros,X,Hyrule Warriors, and Yoshi's Yarn begins to be very hard to ignore.  

X, Hyrule Warriors, and Yarn Yoshi aren't doing much. Probably not DKC either. NSMBU and Mario 3D World are bigger than all those. X will likely be lucky to sell as well as Pikmin 3. 

It's basically all on Mario Kart to salvage this, if it can't do it, nothing can. 

X and expecially Hyrule Warriors have potential to be massive in Japan, expecially since the Musou and FInal Fantasy games were the best sellers on PS3 last generation.    Mario Kart on it's own won't be able to save anything either.   It's no doubt a great addition but the Wii U is just going to have to take the 3DS approach, which is build an entire great library and don't rely on one game.    Kirby's Epic Yarn was a 2 million seller, and with Yoshi being alot more mainstream, it will no doubt be a solid mid range title. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
PlayStationLegend said:

superhippy420 said:

DK games have always sold a minimum or 5 million.  The only one that did'nt (DKC3) still sold 3.5 million and you couldnt use DK or Diddy, and it came out when the next-gen had already launched.     On top of all of that Tropical Freeze is on pace to have 1.5 times more pre-orders then Super Mario 3D World which has already sold 1.65 million WW, and 1.4 million Wii U's have been sold since SM3DW's launch.   With the hype around it, and the appeal to casual and hardcore gamers, I would'nt even be shocked if this Donkey Kong does better then SM3DW, expecially since Nintendo has'nt overused the Donkey Kong franchise by any means.   Even the 3DS port of DKCR has sold 1.2 million, which would make it the top selling Vita game.  

Just a heads up, you won't last long on this forum if you maintain the attitude you've displayed so far.

I haven't said anything derogatory at all to Donkey Kong. I even labelled it as "very good". Unfortunately, the Wii U's failure has made you Ninty fans very "intolerant" to the truth.

Facts are facts. DK WILL NOT re-vitalise the Wii U.

Wii U Strikes Back?

No.

Forgive me.

P.S. I won't last long with my attitude? I extended my hand in friendship to you by sending you a friend request. You didn't accept it. Who has the attitude problem now? Just admit that you're a grumpy person and don't like it when someone lays the truth bare in front of you. I'm done with you Nintendo fans. You're just miserable. The MS fan boys are better.

zorg1000 said:
PlayStationegend said:

with the install base the Wii had. It was no surprise that it sold as much as it did.

On the Wii U however...

P.S. Everybody did yawn with Donkey Kong was announced. Even d21lewis laughed when I asked him about it. You need to cool off and accept that the "hype" for DK is artificial.

N64 had an install base of just over 30m and DK sold over 5m

SNES had an install base of just under 50m and the three DK games averaged about 6m.

Gamecube had an install base of just over 20m and 2 spinoff titles that required accesories sold over 1m. A mainline traditional platformer would have sold around 3-5m on Gamecube.

When did I ever say anything about hype? I think this game will cause a modest boost for 2-3 weeks then sales drop back down.

Donkey Kong has never put up crazy numbers like Mario has at times, but it does seem that without it console sales suffer.  It's just one of those rare titles that brings in people from almost every crowd.  Kids,Adults,Casual,Hardcore,Platformer fans,Graphic Junkies (see SNES beating Genesis lol).

PlayStationLegend said:

P.S. I won't last long with my attitude? I extended my hand in friendship to you by sending you a friend request. You didn't accept it. Who has the attitude problem now? Just admit that you're a grumpy person and don't like it when someone lays the truth bare in front of you. I'm done with you Nintendo fans. You're just miserable. The MS fan boys are better.

This is what I'm talking about. This kind of behaviour might fly on IGN, or Gamefaqs, but not here on VGChartz.

I got to pick this game up.

Around the Network
PlayStationLegend said:
curl-6 said:
PlayStationLegend said:

superhippy420 said:

Just a heads up, you won't last long on this forum if you maintain the attitude you've displayed so far.

I haven't said anything derogatory at all to Donkey Kong. I even labelled it as "very good". Unfortunately, the Wii U's failure has made you Ninty fans very "intolerant" to the truth.

Facts are facts. DK WILL NOT re-vitalise the Wii U.

Wii U Strikes Back?

No.

Forgive me.

When was it ever stated DK would revitalize Wii U?

Did u read the contents of the article or just read the title and assume it was about Wii U sales? The entire article is literally just a brief summary of the 4 hours he played the game.

Wii U strikes back doesnt mean sales are going to skyrocket. It could simply mean its building a worthwhile library of great games, which again if u read the article u would know thats what it was implying.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

vivster said:
Is Donkey Kong really such a big deal for Nintendo? I mean yes I like the Donkey Kong games but going by the hype in this forum it seems to be almost savior like as a franchise. I always regarded Donkey Kong more like an add-on franchise to Mario but never really something big on its own. I guess I'll see when it comes out how big it really is.

It was the biggest franchise of the 16-bit era.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Haven't played it, but it looks much better than the 2D Mario platformers and it's also very different.

If they can also make a good 3D Donkey Kong game this gen it can in my opinion become Nintendo's third biggest franchise(behind Mario and Pokémon).

Samus Aran said:

Haven't played it, but it looks much better than the 2D Mario platformers and it's also very different.

DKCR on Wii was much better than New Super Mario Bros Wii. And New Super Mario Bros U.

curl-6 said:
Samus Aran said:

DKCR on Wii was much better than New Super Mario Bros Wii. And New Super Mario Bros U.

Well thats just like.....ur opinion

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.