By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: Nintendo should go third party until they can make a good console

Tagged games:

oniyide said:
binary solo said:
oniyide said:
binary solo said:
oniyide said:
binary solo said:

I was actually thinking of the millions of non-gamer parents who bought Wii for their 5-year olds. That is, in Pacther's words, an addressable market. They just need to work out how to address them. More of the same, more or less, wasn't going to do it. And thinking a tablet controller would do it was a somewhat predictable mistake. But I also wonder if Kinect stole some of this potential market away, esp in the USA. Kinect really was an amazing phenomenon in the USA. It is directly responsible 360 eventually outselling Wii in the USA, even if it's taken more years on the market to do so. But MS should not make any assumptions about those latter day 360+Kinect buyers. They are no more likely to go for Xb one for the same reason as similar people who stuck with Wii aren't buying Wii U.

The over 40's who bought Wii for themselves are a one night stand, by and large, I agree.

but what?! if not more of the same what was going to do it. becasue i would bet they are being addressed by phones and tablets. Hell Candy Crush is more popular among women in that demograph you just described. I think Kinect effect is overblown, look at the software sales they dropped quick

I dunno, I'm not a gaming industry mogul. But I'm sure creative minds at Nintendo could have come up with something, if only they'd recognised the need to do so. They knew more of the same at the end of the GC generation would kill them in the home console space, so they came up with Wii. As I said, Nintendo's biggest failure was in assuming most of the market they created with Wii were committed to a long term relationship with them. At least that's what it looks like they assumed. And I know for sure that several VGC members made the same assumption, especially in the years when Wii sold>20 million units. In those years the future was bright and assured for several console cycles, because of reasons.

Kinect was a microcosm of Wii. It burnt bright but not long and only really in the USA. And I think it had 2 effects on Nintendo: It accelerated the decline in Wii sales in the USA; and it took potential Wii U sales away from Nintendo by getting some early gen Wii owners to move to Kinect, rather than wiaitt for Nintendo's next offering.

Oh i think they have recognized. They cant do it, if they could they would have. Naw they knew they werent commited which is probably why they stopped with the WIi and went with the WII U and its pad. Otherwise they would have just done a WIi 2. Only a crazy person would have thought it would be assured for several cycles.

It did have an effect on WIi in the US fair enough, but not on WIi U. Kinect was long done before WIi U hit the shelves, their not even the same thing.

And so were the people who bought Kinect, who otherwise might have been willing to give WiiU a go. Which is why Kinect did have a depressing effect on the Wii U's market potential in the USA. Can't say the same about Europe and the rest of the world though. Peeople just went off the boil for Wii and no one was converted into a console gamer.

So are we bascially back to the core console gamer being 90% of the console market for gen 8, and Wii U having to fight to get GC level sales, because that's about as much of the core console gamer market to whom Nintendo appeals? And total console sales is probably going to be at about gen 6 level, but more evenly distributed between PS4 and xb one.

We're going ot have to agree to disagree on the first part. The kinect and WIi U arent even clost ot the same kind of device. Dont know why someone who would want a hands free device want some tablet controller as a substitute. People dont want the Wii U, period. 

Honestly it looks that way. I cant think of anything else. Doesnt seem like Ninty could mess with Sony or even MS in this field. Hell they had a year headstart. A YEAR! Dont even know what they could have done. The writing was on the wall probably as far back as when PS1 hit the scene.

Different forms of motion control, but still both motion control gaming devices. I'll just leave it at that.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

This guy... he just talks to get attention. Its sad.

Estelle and Adol... best characters ever! XD

If they do opt to do this, I'd rather they just pick one of Sony or MS and make games specifically for one console rather than multiplating. It would hurt their dev teams to have to make multiple versions of the same game and they could probably secure themselves a very nice sweetheart deal (money bags) but making the two bid for their services.