By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: Nintendo should go third party until they can make a good console

Tagged games:

ManUtdFan said:
There'll probably be one maybe two more generation of consoles before across the board convergence and one universal standard console- i can see Sony and Micro$oft fighting out possibly two more battles, no more. There'll be one more console from Ninty Winky and then they'll do a sega.

You mean they'll ALL do a Sega.   A universal standard means everyone is basically 3rd party.  Even those that manufacture their own hardware for the standard.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
"It is clear to us that the old Nintendo model of proprietary hardware supported by compelling proprietary software is broken,"

Umm... what? It's pretty obvious that Nintendo's SW drives their HW. Even with the Wii U.

well in that case, maybe people dont really want Ninty's software?

Actually, Nintendo should take a page out of Coleco's play book and make inferior versions of its. Games for other platforms in an effort to wet people's appetites and get them to then spend money on playing the better version of the game on Nintendo hardware.

This makes as much sense in the long run as Pachter's suggestion,

And Nintendo does not think quarterly like analysts, it thinks longer run.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

oniyide said:

What are you talking about? Nintendo's SW is selling well. Especially when put against such a pathetic HW number.

Edit: I see what you're saying now. However, Nintendo's SW does still move HW. The Wii U's problem isn't just "Nintendo SW only console." There are several other problems.

NintendoPie said:
oniyide said:

What are you talking about? Nintendo's SW is selling well. Especially when put against such a pathetic HW number.

Edit: I see what you're saying now. However, Nintendo's SW does still move HW. The Wii U's problem isn't just "Nintendo SW only console." There are several other problems.

yeah thats what i was getting at. Fair enough. 

Around the Network
oniyide said:
binary solo said:
oniyide said:
binary solo said:
Why wouldn't they just call Wii U a gen 7.5 console and make it a very short cycle releasing Wii 2 in 2015, with better specs than PS4 at a lower price? Why would you go third party only temporarily?

Even though I don't by Nintendo home consoles I would hate for them to go out of the home console hardware business, just like I thought it was a sad day that Sega went out of hardware but I never bought a Sega console.

I'll always want Playstation to have a strong generation. And I might uncharitably snigger at Nintendo (or MS) if it's are struggling. But really Nintendo being in the hardware game is much better than them not being in the hardware game.

I actually can't understand why some people salivate at the prospect of a console maker going out of business. Even with Microsoft I'm ambivalent about them staying in consoles, rather than hoping for Xbox's total demise. I don't say prayers to the console gods for Xbox to crumble and disappear. Actually what I'd prefer is for MS to sell Xbox to a third party. That way I could actually see myself possibly buying Xbox in a future generation; though not if they sold it to Apple.

do people want a console with that short of a life cycle? im thinking no

I'm thinking people mostly don't want Wii U, so the length of the Wii U console cycles is irrelevant to most people. If people keep not buying Wii U then it's gonna be a short generation anyway. Nintendo could hide thier home console losses because their handhelds carried them. But it seems 3DS isn;t carrying them at the moment.

thats fair, but im thinking it might be bad, because Sega did something similar with Saturn and 32x. I dont know about Japan and Europe but those two got cut short in the US and IMHO that is one of the main reasons that DC was never really able to take off. People will be reluctant to buy a system from a company that is known to cut support short, i know i am.

That's a good point. I don't know the Saturn / 32x story, but I think perhaps Nintendo could get away with a short cycle for WiiU partly on the basis that Wii2 would be more powerful than PS4bone and thus be seen to have better potential longevity than WiiU - not that Wii U's raw power necessarily spelt doom for it, but being less powerful than PS4bone hasn't helped, or rather being seen (rightly or wrongly) as not much more powerful than PS360 didn't help - and the fact that Nintendo has been around for a long time so people shouldn't see it as a likely pattern.

But if Nintendo merely releases a more powerful console but does nothing else different I think they will get Wii U like sales again. They basically need to convince those whose first ever console was a Wii to buy Wii 2 (or Wii U). I personally know 3 perhaps 4 families who bought Wii and had never bought a console before (probably were rather anti-video game before Wii, and in a general sense probably still are). They have absolutely no reason to want to buy a Wii U and so they won't. All the next iterations of the various Mario games isn't going to be a draw for them, they are not at all invested in the LoZ world, they don't have cherished childhood / adolescent memories of playing the heck out of Donkey Kong, they've never heard of Metroid, they think Pokemon is a TV cartoon.

It is unfortunate for Nintendo that their biggest failure with Wii was not converting vast numbers of first time game players into gamers. And I don't think they recognised this as even being something they needed to address. I think they assumed these first timers would behave exactly the same as long time gamers. Put out a new console, with upgraded versions of the things they liked on Wii and they will turn out in droves to buy the new console. They misread the situation terribly. And Nintendo should have been very worried by the fast drop off in Wii sales from 2009-2011 instead of just seeing the LTD rising far above any of the past home console, at the same time as PS3360 were getting a second wind.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Viper1 said:
Pachter should go 3rd party and support other financial investment firms until he can come up with better financial advice.

Ba-dum-dum-tish
*insert insane laughter*

The funniest thing is I see Sony actually beating Nintendo to this.

binary solo said:
oniyide said:
binary solo said:
oniyide said:
binary solo said:
Why wouldn't they just call Wii U a gen 7.5 console and make it a very short cycle releasing Wii 2 in 2015, with better specs than PS4 at a lower price? Why would you go third party only temporarily?

Even though I don't by Nintendo home consoles I would hate for them to go out of the home console hardware business, just like I thought it was a sad day that Sega went out of hardware but I never bought a Sega console.

I'll always want Playstation to have a strong generation. And I might uncharitably snigger at Nintendo (or MS) if it's are struggling. But really Nintendo being in the hardware game is much better than them not being in the hardware game.

I actually can't understand why some people salivate at the prospect of a console maker going out of business. Even with Microsoft I'm ambivalent about them staying in consoles, rather than hoping for Xbox's total demise. I don't say prayers to the console gods for Xbox to crumble and disappear. Actually what I'd prefer is for MS to sell Xbox to a third party. That way I could actually see myself possibly buying Xbox in a future generation; though not if they sold it to Apple.

I'm thinking people mostly don't want Wii U, so the length of the Wii U console cycles is irrelevant to most people. If people keep not buying Wii U then it's gonna be a short generation anyway. Nintendo could hide thier home console losses because their handhelds carried them. But it seems 3DS isn;t carrying them at the moment.

thats fair, but im thinking it might be bad, because Sega did something similar with Saturn and 32x. I dont know about Japan and Europe but those two got cut short in the US and IMHO that is one of the main reasons that DC was never really able to take off. People will be reluctant to buy a system from a company that is known to cut support short, i know i am.

That's a good point. I don't know the Saturn / 32x story, but I think perhaps Nintendo could get away with a short cycle for WiiU partly on the basis that Wii2 would be more powerful than PS4bone and thus be seen to have better potential longevity than WiiU - not that Wii U's raw power necessarily spelt doom for it, but being less powerful than PS4bone hasn't helped, or rather being seen (rightly or wrongly) as not much more powerful than PS360 didn't help - and the fact that Nintendo has been around for a long time so people shouldn't see it as a likely pattern.

But if Nintendo merely releases a more powerful console but does nothing else different I think they will get Wii U like sales again. They basically need to convince those whose first ever console was a Wii to buy Wii 2 (or Wii U). I personally know 3 perhaps 4 families who bought Wii and had never bought a console before (probably were rather anti-video game before Wii, and in a general sense probably still are). They have absolutely no reason to want to buy a Wii U and so they won't. All the next iterations of the various Mario games isn't going to be a draw for them, they are not at all invested in the LoZ world, they don't have cherished childhood / adolescent memories of playing the heck out of Donkey Kong, they've never heard of Metroid, they think Pokemon is a TV cartoon.

It is unfortunate for Nintendo that their biggest failure with Wii was not converting vast numbers of first time game players into gamers. And I don't think they recognised this as even being something they needed to address. I think they assumed these first timers would behave exactly the same as long time gamers. Put out a new console, with upgraded versions of the things they liked on Wii and they will turn out in droves to buy the new console. They misread the situation terribly. And Nintendo should have been very worried by the fast drop off in Wii sales from 2009-2011 instead of just seeing the LTD rising far above any of the past home console, at the same time as PS3360 were getting a second wind.

Its not even about power, its not that Wii U isnt as good as PS4 or xone. but the fact that they released a console that is only a bit more powerful than a console that has been on the market for SEVEN years. that is inexcusable no matter how one wants to spin it. It should have been smack in the middle of PS360 PS4/xone MINIMUM. not closer to PS360. 

Buts that what they did try to do with the Wii U. the gamepad was supposed to be the wiimote. that didnt happen so here we are. THe thing is you just cant replicate wiimote status if it were easy everyone would do it. 

Ive heard this talk before but it was never going to happen, ever. They didnt address it because they know they CANT do it. YOur grandma who bought a Wii for sports, resort or whatever fitness crap, never cared about video games, so why would she all of a sudden? She wouldnt, shes not going to be playing COD, Street Fighter ever and she never was. I dont want to be that guy, but the situation played out exactly how i thought it would when they did the first reveal. The Wii crowd are not gamers and they were never going to be, its not in their nature, thats why they dont care about updated stuff of even the things they do like.  PS360 was always going to do ok, it was never a matter of if or when. 360 was actually ok from the jump. Sony just was just arrogant but they learned. Gamers care about the stuff those two were offering and it shows in the sales. Wii was too far behind tech wise and it was always going to catch up to them. 

oniyide said:
binary solo said:
oniyide said:
binary solo said:
oniyide said:
binary solo said:

Its not even about power, its not that Wii U isnt as good as PS4 or xone. but the fact that they released a console that is only a bit more powerful than a console that has been on the market for SEVEN years. that is inexcusable no matter how one wants to spin it. It should have been smack in the middle of PS360 PS4/xone MINIMUM. not closer to PS360. 

Buts that what they did try to do with the Wii U. the gamepad was supposed to be the wiimote. that didnt happen so here we are. THe thing is you just cant replicate wiimote status if it were easy everyone would do it. 

Ive heard this talk before but it was never going to happen, ever. They didnt address it because they know they CANT do it. YOur grandma who bought a Wii for sports, resort or whatever fitness crap, never cared about video games, so why would she all of a sudden? She wouldnt, shes not going to be playing COD, Street Fighter ever and she never was. I dont want to be that guy, but the situation played out exactly how i thought it would when they did the first reveal. The Wii crowd are not gamers and they were never going to be, its not in their nature, thats why they dont care about updated stuff of even the things they do like.  PS360 was always going to do ok, it was never a matter of if or when. 360 was actually ok from the jump. Sony just was just arrogant but they learned. Gamers care about the stuff those two were offering and it shows in the sales. Wii was too far behind tech wise and it was always going to catch up to them. 

I was actually thinking of the millions of non-gamer parents who bought Wii for their 5-year olds. That is, in Pacther's words, an addressable market. They just need to work out how to address them. More of the same, more or less, wasn't going to do it. And thinking a tablet controller would do it was a somewhat predictable mistake. But I also wonder if Kinect stole some of this potential market away, esp in the USA. Kinect really was an amazing phenomenon in the USA. It is directly responsible 360 eventually outselling Wii in the USA, even if it's taken more years on the market to do so. But MS should not make any assumptions about those latter day 360+Kinect buyers. They are no more likely to go for Xb one for the same reason as similar people who stuck with Wii aren't buying Wii U.

The over 40's who bought Wii for themselves are a one night stand, by and large, I agree.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix