By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What was YOUR most influential game of the previous gen?

What was the most influential game?

Mario Galaxy 55 34.59%

Red Dead Redemption 11 6.92%

COD4: MW 31 19.50%

Xenoblade 10 6.29%

Uncharted 2 41 25.79%

GTA V 7 4.40%

Total:155

I'll say Halo 4.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

I'll say Halo 4.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

If you'd like to know what game I enjoyed the most, it's Xenoblade.

But as for which game I think was the most influential, I'd go with Wii Sports. Minecraft is pretty close, too, but I think its influence will be much more strongly felt in the eighth generation.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

TheSting said:
Pristine20 said:
TheSting said:
Pristine20 said:
TheSting said:
Lost Odyssey for me. The stories in that game and overall story were great till the end. Unbelievable game. Got me into turn-based RPGs. In turn I liked Blue Dragon also. It's shit on though but I really liked it.

Influential =/= best game. I think most people don't understand the thread title at all. TC is basically asking for the most copied game (i.e the game whose elements have transcended into the most games) this generation and that has to be COD4 without a doubt.

I know but it influenced me to play TBRPGs. It was my reason for doing that. It influenced me. :)

From my understanding of the OP, the TC is talking about influence on other games not influence on you as a gamer so the fact that it influence you  won't be relevant in this case. LO also doesn't really do anything old school final fantasy games didn't already do so it won't really be influencing any games anyway.

I knew i was off topic a tad though. Lets see umm I seriously dont have one then. I heard about the FF comparisons. Did you get a chance to play LO?

Nope, I never got an x360 last gen. I'm only going by videos I've watched and word of mouth.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

of the poll between Modern Warfare 1 and Mario Galaxy
without poll
Elder Scrolls Oblivion/Skyrim

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
Around the Network

I think a lot of people in this thread are mistaking influential for favorite.

COD was influential as it started the whole shooter craze with the casuals.

Wii Sports singlehandedly changed both Sony and Microsoft's strategies somewhat so I'll say Wii Sports for most influential.

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

Pristine20 said:
TheSting said:
Pristine20 said:
TheSting said:
Pristine20 said:
TheSting said:
Lost Odyssey for me. The stories in that game and overall story were great till the end. Unbelievable game. Got me into turn-based RPGs. In turn I liked Blue Dragon also. It's shit on though but I really liked it.

Influential =/= best game. I think most people don't understand the thread title at all. TC is basically asking for the most copied game (i.e the game whose elements have transcended into the most games) this generation and that has to be COD4 without a doubt.

I know but it influenced me to play TBRPGs. It was my reason for doing that. It influenced me. :)

From my understanding of the OP, the TC is talking about influence on other games not influence on you as a gamer so the fact that it influence you  won't be relevant in this case. LO also doesn't really do anything old school final fantasy games didn't already do so it won't really be influencing any games anyway.

I knew i was off topic a tad though. Lets see umm I seriously dont have one then. I heard about the FF comparisons. Did you get a chance to play LO?

Nope, I never got an x360 last gen. I'm only going by videos I've watched and word of mouth.

Oh noooooooooo :(  the game is great and i want as many ppl to play it as possible. Looking at videos isnt good for this game. The stories told and sound effects were fantastic. Really really like this game.

I'm not sure if there was 1 single game you can point to. But rather that the hardware abilities caught up to what developers have been wanting to incorporate into their games more so, for so long.

I think games like the Uncharted Series, the Batman Series, The Oblivion/Skyrim series, FFXIII, TLoU, AC series etc., even the Lego games all brought that Cinematic Movie Blockbuster feeling to videogamers finally. Lego brought a cartoon type movie cinematic to kids games like Pixar/Disney/Dreamworks etc. would do. GTA5 started out very cinematic with the money heist.

If you look at Watchdogs being such a hotly anticipated title, and DLC for TLoU being so anticipated it is imho because of these more cinematic feels. Even "X" for the Wii U has that Cinematic feel. Now don't get me wrong Wii Sports and the Kinect/Move became influential but the Wii U doesn't even include motion controls now in any of their launch boxs with Wii U's.  

So if that was influential why did Nintendo not include it as its PRIMARY controller again? I think it is no longer influential, and will remain so for years. Unless the XB1 Kinect takes off like a rocketship with some newer IP for Kinect. The Just Dances and Wii Sports rip-offs will not launch it like a rocketship. They/XB1 or Wii U need something NEW and I doubt they have any of these TRULY NEW ideas for Kinect/Wii U that could sell 100 million consoles like Wii Sports did. That ship has sailed.

Cinematic games are still sailing in high demand and waiting for more games like them. Like I pointed @ AC4 is selling well, Watchdogs and inFamous will do well. The PS4 is teh best selling Launch console of all time because I believe people crave these cinematic experiences. I'm personally waiting for The Evil Within and FFXV for a next gen Survival Horror and JRPG cinematic experience that floors me. Even Driveclub looks very cinematic and I hope there's another spiritual successor to TLoU or Red Dead Redemption on the PS4. Tomb Raider Definitive edition is based on a more believable cinematic experience with the added visuals.

For me it's the games that boosted the Cinematic experience, and quite frankly there were games in quite possibly every genre that pulled it off very well so take your pick. :)

HEMSTAR said:
vivster said:
I say Assassin's Creed. It brought the open world craze upon us by showing us what was possible in a truly open world.

I'm pretty sure San Andreas did that :D

I have yet to find a GTA game where I can climb buildings ;)

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy.

Raised the bar even higher for Nintendo games, which they have yet to fill 100% for the Wii U.