By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What was YOUR most influential game of the previous gen?

What was the most influential game?

Mario Galaxy 55 34.59%

Red Dead Redemption 11 6.92%

COD4: MW 31 19.50%

Xenoblade 10 6.29%

Uncharted 2 41 25.79%

GTA V 7 4.40%

Total:155
hinch said:

What?

jk jk

Around the Network

Gears of War

Cover within shooters would never be the same again. And it seemed to be influential in general for many other games.

Valkyria Chronicles 

edit: when u say anything cod related u are nolonger creditable.

Of the choices provided, Call Of Duty influenced the industry the most, but personally, I was the most influenced by Super Mario Galaxy. That game it so great, I can't even describe all of it's greatness in words.

Though, of all the games released in the last generation, the one that influenced me the absolute most was Fallout 3. I love that game so much.

Add me on Xbox Live: TopCat8

The Last Of Us.

Out of Nowhere came this gem of a game.

Uncharted 3, Killzone 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Motorstorm 2, Resistance 3, Outland, Starhawk all of these games were top notch in my opinion, but TLOU was just different. It sucked me in. I felt nervous, scared, emotional, and also very angry at the end credits, lol, but all in all, it was a huge surprise to me. My game of last gen.

Around the Network

It'll will either be COD or Wii Sports (Which really should be on there). Both games spawned numerous clones from publishers wanting to capture that success. Wii Sports was more revolutionary in the way of gaming mentality though.

MAG

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

MARCUSDJACKSON said:

Valkyria Chronicles 

edit: when u say anything cod related u are nolonger creditable.

You may need to look up the definition of "influence"

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

I'm split between Modern Warfare and Uncharted 1.

COD4:MW - Insane graphics at the time...the opening scene was amazing. The atmosphere of the game was the best id ever experienced at that point in time, the blend between gameplay and atmosphere was a first in the industry imo. Also..who will ever forget the sniping mission? Camouflage so good that even the player couldnt see the characters on the screen laying the grass! To add to all of that the gameplay was good, the story was good, the missions were varied! Everything about the game was awesome. I think people forget that it was actually the single player experience that really got the whole COD craze going. Then the MP just elevated that craze to a whole new level.

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune - Again insane graphics and amazing atmosphere. I must have spent at least a few hours just watching Nathan Drakes clothes dry O_O This game took cinematic gaming to a level that was never achieved before imo. In fact i think Uncharted has come to define the sub genre. Nowadays gamers expect a good story, good characters, good voice acting, awesome action scenes etc. This game, along with COD:MW and Gears probably had the biggest impact on the industry as a whole and really set the tone for the generation and the industry wide shift towards cinematic games.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Pristine20 said:
TheSting said:
Pristine20 said:
TheSting said:
Lost Odyssey for me. The stories in that game and overall story were great till the end. Unbelievable game. Got me into turn-based RPGs. In turn I liked Blue Dragon also. It's shit on though but I really liked it.

Influential =/= best game. I think most people don't understand the thread title at all. TC is basically asking for the most copied game (i.e the game whose elements have transcended into the most games) this generation and that has to be COD4 without a doubt.

I know but it influenced me to play TBRPGs. It was my reason for doing that. It influenced me. :)

From my understanding of the OP, the TC is talking about influence on other games not influence on you as a gamer so the fact that it influence you  won't be relevant in this case. LO also doesn't really do anything old school final fantasy games didn't already do so it won't really be influencing any games anyway.

I knew i was off topic a tad though. Lets see umm I seriously dont have one then. I heard about the FF comparisons. Did you get a chance to play LO?