By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo lowers forecast from 55 billion yen profit to 25 billion yen loss

another number to notice is they slashed the dividend by 60%..

edit:  actually..

"If the actual consolidated financial results for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2014 are in line with our modified

financial forecasts, there will be no annual dividend per share. However, on the basis of our dividends paid in the last two
years, we have set a minimum of 100 yen for the year-end and annual dividend per share for this fiscal year."
thats confusing lol

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:
2.8 million still seems generous. End of last years financials wii u was at 3.9million shipped. Currently wii u sales are at 5.3 million it states on VG Chartz. They are basically saying they will sell another 1.4 million consoles in about 10 weeks when they have only sold 1.4 million consoles over the last 42 weeks including christmas. January to March are pretty lean months for console sales normally. If it gets to 6 million consoles by the end of March they will be lucky. So even 2.8 million is non realistic.

Nintendo only have themselves to blame. They tried to sell an underpowered console at a highly inflated price so they could make huge profits but this time they totally failed to get the balance right. For multiformat games it can't match 360 and PS3 most of the time. Big price cuts to come and the wii u will have a fairly short life I think.

Actually it was at 3.45m at the end of last years financials. So adding 2.8m would put it at 6.25m. If 5.3m is correct for sell through that means shipments are a few 100k higher, lets say between 5.5m-5.75m, they expect a further 500-750k this quarter.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

They must've thought the Wii Fit U retail version was going to explode...lol. Hopefully they (finally) realise that the casual ship has sailed and focus on the deep, fulfilling games we all love them for.

Also, spend some of that Wii money on western third party exclusives dammit! No matter what anyone says, third parties ARE important.

So... They projected that they were going to sell THAT many 3DS' to be sold in the fiscal year? 18 MILLION? Don't get me wrong, this year had some of the best ever 3DS releases (Pokemon, Zelda) but 18 million is ridiculously high, has any console ever sold that much in a year? They were predicting a new record or what? And this is comming from a guy that bought 3 limited edition 3DS' this year just because I could...

Wii U prediction was more reasonable at the time (in my opinion), I'm guessing these predictions were made early last year at the time when 'anything is possible!' and they expected the Wii U to pick up and start selling reasonably well, which didn't happen until the holidays rolled around...

DD_Bwest said:
Devil_Survivor said:
DD_Bwest said:
750million... thats alot of money.

how much did they have in the bank? lol

It was somewhere between 10 to 12 billion dollars last time I heard lol.

man they are going to need it..  

here is an honest question to Wii-U owners.

If Nintendo pulled the plug on the wii-u to bring in something new and fresh(and powerful).  How would you take it?  would you support it and buy the new console? or would you be pissed about it?

Well. They pulled the plug on Virtual Boy:p

For me it doesnt matter, as i will buy any product i find compelling enough. 

Around the Network
finalfantasystud said:
Thats not good, but i think this will be a good year for nintendo. Mario kart 8 Monlith's X, etc releases. Add that with the 2ds and pokemon soaring strong, with some more 1st party 3ds releases this year nintendo is gonna be fine don't be so quick to doom a system before any of its best games are out. If this year is a similar repeat of last year then you can doom it, but this will be the deciding year. BTW i will be getting a Wii U this year, X looks fucking incredible!!!

This should have been a strong year for Nintendo. 

Pokemon X/Y. Mosnter Hunter 4. Animal Crossing for the West. 2DS. Super Mario 3D World. Pikmin 3 (hey if you're listing X, might as well list this). 

Well deserved

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

JWeinCom said:
On the bright side, this probably means that they'll have an all out January direct again... They need something to try and boost investor confidence.

This. Won't solve the problems, but like you also said, "as a gamer, I want to see the games." Maybe they'll even whip out the Wii U Zelda reveal before E3.

But seriously, I'm a hardcore Nintendo fanboy and even I knew that the 9 million FY forecast was crazy. People kept wondering if they meant 9 million lifetime for Wii U by the end of the FY, but nope, they meant 9 million in just THIS FY and thus like 12-13 million lifetime by March 31st. Absolutely ridiculous. I actually really like Wii U and its games so far, and I am looking forward to the games that will be coming as well, but they have clearly been in total denial of how badly they screwed up its launch window, its pricing, and how thoroughly they squandered its first year on the market. Wii U was doomed before it started really...instead of working hard and reinvesting the Wii/DS money in making a console and software to have ready to release while the Wii still had some momentum...they rested on their laurels and were swimming in their vault of gold coins like Uncle Scrooge. The Wii finally tanked after 2 years of almost non-existent first-party software support, and they were like "oh...uh...I guess we should probably release another console, huh?...guess that means we should start working on some games for it too...oops..." Not to mention getting so arrogant from the success of the DS that they actually thought they could launch its successor at a premium price point of $250. They got lucky that the $80 price cut and combo of Mario and Mario Kart turned things around, but clearly they didn't learn their lesson from that debacle. Wii U is a competent system, and as a Nintendo fan, I only really care about the games, which beginning around August of 2013 with Pikmin 3, they started to deliver. However, Wii U is a business failure. The gamepad is like a ball and chain tied around its neck and quickly drowning it. There's been a couple games like Nintendo Land and Wii Party U that have made some fun and novel use of the gamepad, but nothing revolutionary. If the "hook" of the system isn't revolutionary and RAISES the price of the system by $100, maybe it's not such a good idea. Time to upgrade the firmware, release a non-gamepad SKU for $199 and ride out the next 2-3 years with some hopefully solid software support for Wii U AND continued support for 3DS. And then next time...get it right. Study the market, LEARN from Sony and Microsoft...they are different companies in many ways but Nintendo could learn stuff from BOTH of them. Figure out how to compete...or at the very least, make systems that will allow the typical Nintendo creativity, polish, and fun, while also making sure that those systems can be sold at competitive prices without EVER being sold for a loss. *end rant* 

I'm a diehard Nintendo fanboy, and a Nintendo-only gamer currently for the entire 7th gen and so far in the 8th gen (might get a PS4 eventually), but I can admit when Nintendo has messed up. Please don't assume that all Nintendo fans are oblivious to their faults. Some of us can see the good AND the bad. And right now, from a business standpoint, things look bleak. So yes, Nintendo, you're in for some painful days ahead to try and appease investors and right your wrongs, but as a gamer, I just want to see the games and I'll be happy. Give me stuff to get hyped about and distract me from your business woes. The Wii U Zelda reveal and pulling back the curtains on all the details of Monolith Soft's "X" would be GREAT places to start!

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

Soundwave said:
DanneSandin said:
Well, 9m Wii U's were never feasible... But How could the beastly 3DS not do more than 13.5m?! THAT'S the big question?! It has Pokémon, Monster Hunter AND Zelda this year alone! Those games alone should pull 15m... wtf?

Something definitely needs to change at Nintendo.

It's time to admit smartphones/tablets have completely changed the market. There's no denying it anymore. 

Yup. I've never denied that; the market has shrunk - but I still think there's a place for dedicated handheld consoles. But they might not sell more than 50m LDT.

I'm curious how Nintendo will tackle the mobile market... Making a phone and tablet of their own? Is it is right now, you can't play Nintendo games on smart devices, because those devices sucks too much - but maybe Nintendo will come up with something that will change that?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
Well, 9m Wii U's were never feasible... But How could the beastly 3DS not do more than 13.5m?! THAT'S the big question?! It has Pokémon, Monster Hunter AND Zelda this year alone! Those games alone should pull 15m... wtf?

Something definitely needs to change at Nintendo.

They weren't able to fill the void left by Nintendogs and Brain Age.  I don't think "the casuals have left for smart phones" argument is correct, but casuals will leave if you don't make new IPs for them.