By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo lowers forecast from 55 billion yen profit to 25 billion yen loss

Bloomberg 

Nintendo Co. (7974) revised its forecast for the fiscal year to a net loss of 25 billion yen ($240 million), cutting its projections for the Wii U console and saying year-end software sales were “far below” expectations.

The world’s largest maker of video-game machines had projected a profit of 55 billion yen as it counted on Christmas shoppers to revive stagnant sales of its Wii U console. The company cut forecasts for Wii U sales to 2.8 million units from 9 million.

The company posted a quarterly loss of 8 billion yen in October after cutting the price of the console in the face of new machines from Sony Corp. and Microsoft Corp. President Satoru Iwata also is trying to lure consumers who prefer playing games on tablet computers and smartphones including Apple Inc.’s iPhone.

Nintendo also cut its forecast for sales of its handheld 3DS player to 13.5 million units from 18 million, and for sales of 3DS software to 66 million units.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-17/nintendo-forecasts-net-loss-on-stagnating-sales-of-wii-u-games.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/140117e.pdf

Around the Network

Honestly this is a disaster. How do you post a loss in the year of Pokemon X/Y?

I think Iwata's goose is cooked, shareholders are going to want blood and Yamauchi is not around any more to shield him.

Nintendo's only lost money twice in its history and both years have come consecutively under Iwata. 

Wii u doomed confirmed.

But most important IWATA DOOMED

Wii U forecast lowered from 9 million (wtf Nintendo) to 2.8 million

3DS lowered from 18 million to 13.5 million.

750million... thats alot of money.

how much did they have in the bank? lol

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Around the Network

OH MY FUCKING LORD SOMEONE FIRE IWATA!

... so... why did they expect Wii U sales to be so high in the first place? Did they plan to release some games earlier than they did, or did they just vastly overestimate the effect the price cut would have?

Oh-Oh! "Doom" is coming.

This, I stole from grandpa...It's called soap.

Iwata should be demoted.

The board of directors should have all the 60-70 year old fogeys on it fired.

Miyamoto should be stripped of any business making decisions. Make games, sure, whatever you want but business is business, not happyfungolucky time.

A Western suit who understands the game business should be brought onto the board of directors and given the reigns to NOA. And Iwata should be forced to listen to him.

Yikes! And how the heck did they expect the WiiU to sell 9 million units?!

NNID: FrequentFlyer54