By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Can Someone Say "Game A" Is Better Than "Game B" If THEY Never Even Played Both? O.o

It's all about defending your consoles honor lol. As sad as that is.

Around the Network

Luckily I've played both Persona 4 and Fire Emblem Awakening and can say the Fire Emblem is easily the better game.

I try to only express my opinion on the games that appeal to me or that I have played, but I do use my past experience and sources like Video Reviews / Trailers and written impressions that I read or even word of mouth to completely avoid certain games regardless of the review rating because I just know my own tastes and I know when something is not for me.

Similarly, for some games, I don't care how poorly they are reviewed, I know when it is something has a natural appeal to me.

Remember that thread I made that said people only thought Persona 4 was the best because most of them have never played SMT Nocturne. Just mentioning that here.

DerNebel said:
There are certain cases where you can definitely say one game is better than another without playing both as long as you at least reasonably inform yourself.

For example I can say that TLOU is a better game than Fighter Within without ever having touched the latter and I'd dare anyone in this thread to find someone that disagrees with this opinion.

And in all such cases, it would be beyond pointless to make that assertion :)

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:
Luckily I've played both Persona 4 and Fire Emblem Awakening and can say the Fire Emblem is easily the better game.

Im perfectly fine with this^^

A person who has actually played BOTH GAMES and said which is better. Is sad cuz most people tht compare games on different consoles dont even play one of them (at ALL).

kupomogli said:

Remember that thread I made that said people only thought Persona 4 was the best because most of them have never played SMT Nocturne. Just mentioning that here.

like NobleTeam360 your one of the few that is fine to judge games on different consoles/handhelds cuz you own both.

Not saying i agree with your opinion on pokemon however :P

tbone51 said:
LiquorandGunFun said:

You would have to play every game that ever came out that year not to be a hypocrit.

for GOTY though! Im saying when people compare two games and never even played another. This tends to happen with fanboys. A jrg on a Sony Console vs a Nintendo console rpg and this one is better automatically because its on my console... thats f-ing retarded imo!

Example i played MH for the first time this year, i ended up liking it alot! Then Games with similar gameplay (just same genre in general) come out for vita (ex: SS and GE2). I have no right to say SS+GE2 is the lesser game towards MH4... Cuz i never played the game. You see this alot, and it really is irritating (from all 3 sides of the fan wars).

Well everyone has a favorite. I do agree its irritating, just have to call them out on it.

axumblade said:

People sometimes base their opinions purely off critical acclaim or if they know somebody who has played the game. A few users will go so far as to watch other people playing the game (well streaming the game) to decide if they want the game or not.

I personally try not to insult a game unless I know it has no value to anybody. 

Weren't you one of those that beat up Final Fantasy XIII in the back alleys, Axum?

I got my eye on you...

axumblade said:

People sometimes base their opinions purely off critical acclaim or if they know somebody who has played the game. A few users will go so far as to watch other people playing the game (well streaming the game) to decide if they want the game or not.

I personally try not to insult a game unless I know it has no value to anybody. 

Call me a cynic but I think it has more to do with whether a game is on the person's preferred console or the competition's.  You can appraise graphics from in-game shots or trailers but you can't really rate a game you haven't played.