By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - December 2013 NPD Thread! - Everything is in the OP!

:-/ I genuinely feel bad about the Vita. I love handheld gaming, and it's sad to see the only viable handheld line outside of the DS go, but I don't see how the Vita could be viable in the US. Sony has perhaps $50 of wiggle room on the price, and no huge franchises to bank on. It's hard to see retailers continuing to stock the Vita or Western third parties supporting it. Sony just never seemed to have their hearts in it. Maybe they just designed the Vita intending for it to be a niche console in Japan.

Around the Network
superhippy420 said:
Train wreck said:
PS4 hardware, hard to find, cant sell games to consoles that do not exist so i guess the PS4 is alright in that regard, Killzone doing alright as well so one official 1st party game selling comparable to the Xbox Ones offerings, Knack just not accepted.

Xbox One awesome numbers really makes the doomer folks who think that the PS4/X1 will follow in the Wii U footsteps really take a seat. Their prospects can only get better with new titles and price cuts. On to next month.

How do you figure.  The Wii U had a great launch and moved over 2 million consoles, but released nothing for months on end and killed their momentum.  Ports of Rayman Legends and Tomb Raider are not going to move any consoles.  Driveclub?  GT6 sold horribly, I see no reason why a new IP racing game will boost the PS4. Infamous?  The second one didnt even crack 2 million.   Titanfall?  I do think Titanfall will give a boost,but the question will be how much of a boost. If the reviews are in the 9's then it could be big, anything lower and the effect will be alot lower.   Thats pretty much all the software coming out for the next 5 months on on PS4/Xbone.   Donkey Kong sold 6 million on the Wii and the 3DS port has even sold 1.2 million.  IMO Tropical Freeze will sell atleast 1.2 million WW in the 1st month, could be more if Nintendo markets it well.  Mario Kart is Mario Kart, we all know how big the franchise is.

You are going to be bitterly dissapointed by DKC (sales wise) ... and I say that as DKC is one of my top 5 favorite franchises period (above Zelda). Just like Pikmin 3, I think it's going to be a victim of a really weak Wii U marketplace. 

Sugar... Minecraft WTF.

gowj ~ 764k
minecraft ~ 1862k

ethomaz said:

More Cream.

B:TS ~ 202k
kh1.5 ~ 438k
tox ~ 156k
miku ~ 16k
TLOU ~ 1473k
gowa ~ 783k
sly ~ 208k
ni no kuni ~ 329k

To be fair... these number are really good.... TLOUS, KH1.5, GOW:A and Ni No Kuni.

Actually the god of war number is abysmal, god of war 3 did over a million on its first month and ascension hasnt passes 800k yet after 10 months

Minecraft is 300k UNDERTRACKED.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
:-/ I genuinely feel bad about the Vita. I love handheld gaming, and it's sad to see the only viable handheld line outside of the DS go, but I don't see how the Vita could be viable in the US. Sony has perhaps $50 of wiggle room on the price, and no huge franchises to bank on. It's hard to see retailers continuing to stock the Vita or Western third parties supporting it. Sony just never seemed to have their hearts in it. Maybe they just designed the Vita intending for it to be a niche console in Japan.

I love the Vita but SCEA has completely dropped the ball here. They gave up on the system by the end of 2012 and released next to nothing since then. Games like Killzone Mercenary and Tearaway were just sent out to die with no marketing. The only games left for the system are indie titles and some Japanese ports. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Shadow1980 said:
benji232 said:
I know that this is a NPD thread, but here are official Nintendo numbers in 2013 in France:

Nintendo of France GM Philippe Lavoue, has shared some 2013 sales numbers for Pokemon X & Y, Wii U, 3DS, 3DS, and Super Mario 3D World.

“3DS: 1 million+ (64% plus year over year) YTD (over the expectations)”
2DS: 180k
Pokemon X and Y: 584k YTD
The Wii U sold 178k in 2013 in France.
3D World: 98k YTD

http://www.challenges.fr/high-tech/20140116.CHA9317/pourquoi-nintendo-pense-faire-mieux-que-sony-et-microsoft.html

Everything listed undertracked in France confirmed. VGC gives the following figures (rounded to the nearest thousand):

3DS: 869k
Wii U: 130k
Pokemon X/Y: 523k
SM3DW: 92k

The only things with a big discrepancy are the 3DS and the WiiU but the latter is manly because of the low number

ethomaz said:
Sugar... Minecraft WTF.

gowj ~ 764k
minecraft ~ 1862k

its on the NPD for top 2013 for reason. I guess the NPD count Pokemon games separately or that would be on their somewhere

My Hummingbird

3DS Friend Code: 047387541842

Soundwave said:
superhippy420 said:
Train wreck said:
PS4 hardware, hard to find, cant sell games to consoles that do not exist so i guess the PS4 is alright in that regard, Killzone doing alright as well so one official 1st party game selling comparable to the Xbox Ones offerings, Knack just not accepted.

Xbox One awesome numbers really makes the doomer folks who think that the PS4/X1 will follow in the Wii U footsteps really take a seat. Their prospects can only get better with new titles and price cuts. On to next month.

How do you figure.  The Wii U had a great launch and moved over 2 million consoles, but released nothing for months on end and killed their momentum.  Ports of Rayman Legends and Tomb Raider are not going to move any consoles.  Driveclub?  GT6 sold horribly, I see no reason why a new IP racing game will boost the PS4. Infamous?  The second one didnt even crack 2 million.   Titanfall?  I do think Titanfall will give a boost,but the question will be how much of a boost. If the reviews are in the 9's then it could be big, anything lower and the effect will be alot lower.   Thats pretty much all the software coming out for the next 5 months on on PS4/Xbone.   Donkey Kong sold 6 million on the Wii and the 3DS port has even sold 1.2 million.  IMO Tropical Freeze will sell atleast 1.2 million WW in the 1st month, could be more if Nintendo markets it well.  Mario Kart is Mario Kart, we all know how big the franchise is.

You are going to be bitterly dissapointed by DKC ... and I say that as DKC is one of my top 5 favorite franchises period (above Zelda). 

Disapointed by the Game itself or is sales?   I can already tell the game itself will be fun.  The sales?   I could be way off, but people have always forgotten about Donkey Kong when they talk about Nintendo.  Its always "Mario,Zelda,Metroid,Smash Bros,Kirby,Starfox".    DKC3 on the SNES was the worst selling home console one and it still moved 3.5 million.   I remember for years people begging Nintendo to make another Donkey Kong Country, and when they finally did after a 14 year gap it sold great.   Theres no reason why Tropical Freeze cant be as big of a console seller as SM3DW considering the demand for Mario games is way down.

BTW my Minecraft example about Retail vs Digital holds even more true.

Everybody wants the retail version over the digital one.