By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - U.S. appeals court strikes down net neutrality.

Apparently nobody explained to the appeals court that people don't really have choice in ISP providers because of the cable infrastructure needed for high speed internet.

Around the Network

That is a horribly stupid opinion from the court.

All this will do is allow all of the ISPs to change their services to be the tiered bullshit that will cost us all a lot more than the current free and open internet.

Just more pandering to big corporations and their money.

Kasz216 said:
Apparently nobody explained to the appeals court that people don't really have choice in ISP providers because of the cable infrastructure needed for high speed internet.

Since I consider you an educated user, even if sometimes I feel you lean a bit more right compared to me, can you explain to me what exactly has happened. I'm at work, and I just need a summary of the issue.

This will be appealed all the way up don't worry.

More corporate cock riding I see...

Around the Network

The internet is outside of the FCC's sphere, anyway, so I'm glad they got bitchslapped. Fuck them and their shitty power grab.

This is such a backward decision and have to think appeal will strike it down.

badgenome said:

The internet is outside of the FCC's sphere, anyway, so I'm glad they got bitchslapped. Fuck them and their shitty power grab.

How telecommunications companies operate their services is directly within FCC jurisdiction.

I don't like that one bit, but we'll see how this turns out.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Acevil said:
Kasz216 said:

Since I consider you an educated user, even if sometimes I feel you lean a bit more right compared to me, can you explain to me what exactly has happened. I'm at work, and I just need a summary of the issue.

Internet providers have wanted, for years, to monetize internet. They want to change it from being a simple provided utility service, like water or electricity, to being more like cable and satellite.

They want to sell it as tiers instead of one giant on/off switch.

Basically, just as you have basic cable, expanded cable, premium channels, etc... they want to provide the internet in a similar fashion with some websites only available for premium prices.

Its absolultely anti-consumer and something FCC was trying to block as it would restrict web interaction (new sites would have to sign deals with ISPs to be visible, just as a new channel in cable) as well as create easy and simple censorship that currently is non-existant in US.

Obvsiously the courts are now listening to government and corporations to F people.