By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Last of Us Winning Game of the Year is Disappointing (To Me Atleast)

Tagged games:

xJbownagex said:

The Last of Us is a great game, definetly one of the better ones this year, but there isn't much in it that we haven't seen before. It's a third person survival horror game, and it's a pretty basic one at that. However, because it has a god like story, it's suddenly 10x better than all the competition. The gameplay can be summed up as "ladder, plank, raft." The AI is also poor, but I will say that the online is extremely fun.

People seem to get mad when I say my games of the year are Super Mario 3D World, GTA V, and A Link Between Worlds. But these games made me immersed, they made me feel a sense of wonder, and I was always wanting to find out what the next area I went to had in store for me. With The Last of Us, it felt like I was just playing the levels to get to the next story segment, not for the actual level.

To me, The Last of Us is just another good shooter, with a great story.

Play the last of us on the hardest difficulty. The games brutality in it's fighting is what makes the gameplay awesome. You never had many supplies, so every bullet had a huge amount of weight to it. I don't really know what you mean by bad AI. They seemed to be average to a little above average even. The infected shouldn't have had complex AI either. For me, the story was a 10, and the gamplay was a 9.9.

Around the Network
xJbownagex said:

The Last of Us is a great game, definetly one of the better ones this year, but there isn't much in it that we haven't seen before. It's a third person survival horror game, and it's a pretty basic one at that. However, because it has a god like story, it's suddenly 10x better than all the competition. The gameplay can be summed up as "ladder, plank, raft." The AI is also poor, but I will say that the online is extremely fun.

People seem to get mad when I say my games of the year are Super Mario 3D World, GTA V, and A Link Between Worlds. But these games made me immersed, they made me feel a sense of wonder, and I was always wanting to find out what the next area I went to had in store for me. With The Last of Us, it felt like I was just playing the levels to get to the next story segment, not for the actual level.

To me, The Last of Us is just another good shooter, with a great story.

Bad AI? That game has one of the best AIs I've seen. The way the enemies react to how you play or what weapons are you using it's amazing. The gameplay is superb on Survivor difficulty, even the AI gets better. It's a matter of opinion, you can say that SM 3D world is just another 3D platformer. GTA V is the same thing that GTA IV (of course, improved. But still worse than GTA San Andreas).

These games are just sequels and follow the same formula with just some things added. TLoU is new, it's unique. It just applies elements of real-time crafting and stealth in a survival horror game in the right ammount. But it's personal opinion, of course. It just looks like the majority of personal opinions went to LToU as GOTY and I agree with that.

golfgt170 said:
xJbownagex said:

The Last of Us is a great game, definetly one of the better ones this year, but there isn't much in it that we haven't seen before. It's a third person survival horror game, and it's a pretty basic one at that. However, because it has a god like story, it's suddenly 10x better than all the competition. The gameplay can be summed up as "ladder, plank, raft." The AI is also poor

I stopped reading there

That... The AI on TLoU is great. If you pull a sniper rifle, the first AI guy that notes it will scream to the others and they will seek cover. When playing on survival, in the harbor part where  you have to take down everyone to progress, I got apparently stuck. I had just a bit of health and thought everyone was dead, but the game wouldn't let me continue. I assumed that one guy should be alive and started to search for him. After I passed a crane, one guy jumped with a 2 X 4, hit me in the head and killed me. Then I understood. I shoot their allies, and he didn't had a gun, just a melee weapon. The AI deduced that he couldn't fight me because he heard me shooting and I was visibly armed (the AI reacts diferently when you have a weapon in your hand. I've seen guys running in my direction with 2X4s that simply runned away the moment I pulled my gun because he didn't knew I had one). So he got in cover and waited for me to pass to get a surprise hit. 

There's all good games but vastly overrated, none of these games made me feel like it was something new and original, actually in most cases it was done a lot better in earlier games. Either way this entire year was a disappointment especially because not enough people played Papers, Please.

the_dengle said:
aikohualda said:
nintendo says... its not TLOU

and sony fans says its TLOU....

and they are both not biased...

yey!

*shrug* none of my friends consider it even in the running for GOTY, and they all own a wide range of consoles. I'm the only one who owns only Nintendo consoles.

One in particular who played the game start to finish said that Part 3 / Chapter 3 (I assume he meant winter?) is outstanding but that the rest of it is average at best. He said if the whole game had been as good as that part it would have easily been one of the best games of the year. Instead, he basically said it was good but not great. I don't think it made his top 10.

for some reason people are bigot in the gaming world :p

Around the Network

LOL the attempts to make tlou sound bad in this thread are golden, It's a movie, just a shooter,....none of which are remotely true. Most coming from fans of other consoles too, odd that no?

godofwar2k6reborn said:

Most overated game of all time. Previous winners were Metroid Prime and Super Mario Galaxy. Played TLOU for like 2-3 hours. The intro was outstanding. Then i started playing the game and was bored out of my mind. It plays like a broken Uncharted. I beat the first uncharted. Throught it was a good game, but nothing special. Played Uncharted 2 for 3-4 hours, stopped playing at Chapter 7. Felt it was too much like the first but with better graphics. Metroid Prime had a crappy story, a midi soundtrack, no voice acting, no multiplayer, tons of backtracking, fetch quests, and respawing enemies, and tank like controls. Super Mario Galaxy was a great game in terms of production values, but I found it to be a bit difficult and annoying at times. It was still a fun experience overall, but it does not deserve to be the highest ranked video game of all time. That title belongs to Zelda: Ocarina of Time. As for most underated games of all time:

Resident Evil Zero

Winback: Covert Operations

007: The World is Not Enough

Mission Impossible

Fighter's Destiny

It's nothing like uncharted, and 2-3 hours is nothing, the game is like a great noverl, keeps getting better as it goes....sorry but what you posted is a pile of manure. It's broken right? Over 200 awards 95 meta, no one else had these issues because your arguments are false.

FlamingWeazel said:
youarebadatgames said:
Another console cinema game. Who's going to be playing this game 3 years from now? Notice how the games that people actually pay and spend hours on never get mentioned, not like the publishers really care since they get money as the consolation prize. The games people are actually spending time on of course COD, BF3/4, League of legends, Minecraft, anything that gets on e-sports, DayZ, even some MMOs. Who really gives a shit about single player nowadays?

That amazing MP must be a dream................................ People still play Uc2 online and will be playing LOU. try again. People watch Duck Dynasty more then anything else too, relevant how?

Lol wake me when UC2 and LOU get any traction in viewership and playercount. It's a lot easier to make a 10 hour single player game than it is to create a multiplayer game that people will build a community about and care about for longer than a year. Unfortunately since it take more than a day for reviewers to play they won't bother.

People are still playing quake competitively since 1999. Consoles don't even last that long, and the servers will have been turned off by the 2nd year to get you to buy the sequel. People vote with their time, that's why GOTY awards are so laughable, you just have to look at what people are really playing to find out what the good games are.

youarebadatgames said:
FlamingWeazel said:
youarebadatgames said:
Another console cinema game. Who's going to be playing this game 3 years from now? Notice how the games that people actually pay and spend hours on never get mentioned, not like the publishers really care since they get money as the consolation prize. The games people are actually spending time on of course COD, BF3/4, League of legends, Minecraft, anything that gets on e-sports, DayZ, even some MMOs. Who really gives a shit about single player nowadays?

That amazing MP must be a dream................................ People still play Uc2 online and will be playing LOU. try again. People watch Duck Dynasty more then anything else too, relevant how?

Lol wake me when UC2 and LOU get any traction in viewership and playercount. It's a lot easier to make a 10 hour single player game than it is to create a multiplayer game that people will build a community about and care about for longer than a year. Unfortunately since it take more than a day for reviewers to play they won't bother.

People are still playing quake competitively since 1999. Consoles don't even last that long, and the servers will have been turned off by the 2nd year to get you to buy the sequel. People vote with their time, that's why GOTY awards are so laughable, you just have to look at what people are really playing to find out what the good games are.

???? Relevance? There is a healthy player count on LOU and UC2 and 3.......So popularity means what now??? COD must be the bets game ever? Duck dynasty bets show on TV confirmed? Nothing but baseless dribble that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. LOU MP is fantastic, some of the best last gen..nothing else you say changes that.

I thought the same thing.

The story was very simple, yet I understand that the point of the game is to explore the drama between the two main characters. Which admittedly very well done in terms of voice acting and motion capture.

But honestly, I thought the gameplay was dull and repetitive, I thought the story dragged and became predictable at some points.

I honestly think if this game was not a Sony exclusive it would not have been reviewed as highly as it was. This generation has been very biased towards exclusives imo. That to me is the only reason TLOU is GOTY.