By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Last of Us Winning Game of the Year is Disappointing (To Me Atleast)

Tagged games:

A203D said:
I thought the same thing.

The story was very simple, yet I understand that the point of the game is to explore the drama between the two main characters. Which admittedly very well done in terms of voice acting and motion capture.

But honestly, I thought the gameplay was dull and repetitive, I thought the story dragged and became predictable at some points.

I honestly think if this game was not a Sony exclusive it would not have been reviewed as highly as it was. This generation has been very biased towards exclusives imo. That to me is the only reason TLOU is GOTY.

YEs hundreds of sites, institutions are biased because it's a sony exclusive...whats Socom, Beyond 2 Souls, star hawk's, etc.....  excuse? More FUD.

Around the Network
FlamingWeazel said:

YEs hundreds of sites are biased because it'sa sony exclusive...whats Socom, BEyond 2 souls excuse? More FUD.

Well I'm actually reffering to games like God of War 3, Halo 3, Gears of War, Uncharted 2 and 3. These imo are not 10/10 games. They are good games that were awarded perfect scores because they were exclusive.

In terms of TLOU, what is really so special about the game? The gameplay itself is a scripted affair.

Everytime you enter an area theres already a predetermined set of actions you can take. Enter room A, sneak past and silent kill enemies. Enter room B, kill all the infected. Rinse and repeat. I found the gameplay to be an average third person affair. Nothing supprisingly exciting about it. Unlike say something like Dead Space, which imo features much better third person gameplay for a survival horror game.

I admit the story for TLOU is very well done, but theres a moment in the game where Joel crashes the car and he and Elle have to make their way to a bridge. Every 10 mins its the same thing:

We can see the bridge, nearly there... 3-4 hours later... we can see the bridge, nearly there.

Like I said I'm not denying this is a good game, yet imo this game is not deserving of a perfect score. Imo the best games this gen have been multiplatform, I think that games like TLOU have been biasedly reviewed because their exclusive.

A203D said:
FlamingWeazel said:

YEs hundreds of sites are biased because it'sa sony exclusive...whats Socom, BEyond 2 souls excuse? More FUD.

Well I'm actually reffering to games like God of War 3, Halo 3, Gears of War, Uncharted 2 and 3. These imo are not 10/10 games. They are good games that were awarded perfect scores because they were exclusive.

In terms of TLOU, what is really so special about the game? The gameplay itself is a scripted affair.

Everytime you enter an area theres already a predetermined set of actions you can take. Enter room A, sneak past and silent kill enemies. Enter room B, kill all the infected. Rinse and repeat. I found the gameplay to be an average third person affair. Nothing supprisingly exciting about it. Unlike say something like Dead Space, which imo features much better third person gameplay for a survival horror game.

I admit the story for TLOU is very well done, but theres a moment in the game where Joel crashes the car and he and Elle have to make their way to a bridge. Every 10 mins its the same thing:

We can see the bridge, nearly there... 3-4 hours later... we can see the bridge, nearly there.

Like I said I'm not denying this is a good game, yet imo this game is not deserving of a perfect score. Imo the best games this gen have been multiplatform, I think that games like TLOU have been biasedly reviewed because their exclusive.

In your opinion, luckily your opinion is not universal, the industry disagrees.

FlamingWeazel said:
the_dengle said:

*shrug* none of my friends consider it even in the running for GOTY, and they all own a wide range of consoles. I'm the only one who owns only Nintendo consoles.

One in particular who played the game start to finish said that Part 3 / Chapter 3 (I assume he meant winter?) is outstanding but that the rest of it is average at best. He said if the whole game had been as good as that part it would have easily been one of the best games of the year. Instead, he basically said it was good but not great. I don't think it made his top 10.

None of my friends think Nintendo is relevant, Point? Your friends <> universal opinion.

I never claimed my friends' opinions were ubiquitous. I was just pointing out that the world isn't split between Nintendo fans, Sony fans, and nothing else. Most gamers own multiple consoles.

My friends and I also openly discuss and critique the games we play. And of course I value their opinions a hell of a lot more than I value the collective opinion of the entirety of the VGChartz community. But I don't expect anyone here to value my friends' opinions; that wouldn't make any sense.

To me, if a game can't stand on it's own WITHOUT cutscenes, it's not a great game. The Last of Us wouldn't have lasted one level without it's cutscenes.

Around the Network

I agree with you to an extent, but the story really was god tier, and that alone warrants a GOTY award.

Thankfully it got GOTY regardless of your opinion.

Really hate seeing people say a game does nothing new then go on to champion games that do nothing new either.

But yes, we get it, you like a certain platform more than the rest.

If it wasn't for The Last Of Us characters I don't think it should have deserved it, but Joel and Ellie are 2 of the greatest characters ever created. I love how there relationship evolves throughout the game, by the end of the game I felt like I knew them personally and was gutted the game had ended.

After watching a few clips, I was sold on getting the last of us and GTA V. super mario 3d world however has failed to catch my interest in the slightest bit after watching videos on youtube. I agree with GTA V and The last of us to be much better candidates especially The last of us. New IP.
funny thing is I don't enjoy the genre, but I enjoyed the last of us.
Everyones just so different sometimes lol.

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

spemanig said:
To me, if a game can't stand on it's own WITHOUT cutscenes, it's not a great game. The Last of Us wouldn't have lasted one level without it's cutscenes.

You mean that amazing gameplay was a dream?? More fud. Sadly story, character is a big part of games, sorry that doesn;t fit your agenda. NAme 1 AAA game that doesn't ahve a single cut scene?  You do not define what a great game is/is not. This game is about story, characters and gameplay, and does it better then any. BEcause story is important does not mean everything about TLOU is bad because everything about the game is utmost quality, even Multiplayer.