By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Seriously Why Doesn't Microsoft Just Buy Sony?

Puppyroach said:
I don´t think MS want to buy sony, simply because they enjoy the competition and respect Sony. also, sony aren´t the safest bet to buy right now :).

What the fuck planet are you living on? Companies don't like competition.

Around the Network

2 reasons. In order to buy a company, that company has to want to be bought and be for sale. Second, when you buy a company you buy all of its downsides and debt, and it has to be economically sound to do this.

chapset said:
Because of a xenophobic Japanese government, They might not let an American company buy a corporation as well known as Sony and also the debt and apple are already buying them

To be honest I respect the Japanese for that. Call me what you want but I take no pride in seeing my national companies bought up left, right and centre by foreign businesses. Chinese companies are buying up America like sweepstake tickets so maybe that's the world we now live in.

With over $100bn in hard cash Apple can pretty much do what the hell it wants and rumors of Apple buying Sony or parts of it have been circulating for many years now.

chapset said:
Because of a xenophobic Japanese government, They might not let an American company buy a corporation as well known as Sony and also the debt and apple are already buying them

Apple will never buy sony.........Sony would be a nightmare logistically for any company to buy and being japanese only makes it worse. Sony may be hurting financially but they are a huge conglomerate.

It's illegal?

Around the Network
enditall727 said:
Seece said:
enditall727 said:
Seece said:
enditall727 said:

You..

A company has to want to be bought.. to be bought

Sony wouldn't let MS buy them anyways.. 

Not true, they'd just do a hostile take over and offer shareholders a deal they couldn't refuse. They couldn't do this with Nintendo for obvious reasons.

Nah i dont think that would happen. If this situation ever presented itself( which it wont), I could only see Sony letting themselves join Apple.

Aple would have to want Sony. Why would Sony chose Apple over Microsoft? Don't act like they're rivals (MS and Sny) because really, they're not. Actually MS and Sony are more a match than Apple and Sony.

But this will never happen. If wanted to win the console war by spending $18b all they would have to do is buy taketwo, EA, Activision ect ect and end it.

Because Apple is still new to the gaming scene and MS has already proven that it is pretty much a no-sell in japan. 

And Apple would be a fresh and clean start. Sony would probably have more flexibity with Apple than MS.

but yea.. This wouldn't happen either way

And i dont think Activision, EA and Taketwo would let themselves be bought either

Other than poisioing themselves there isn't a whole lot they can do, they're not private companies.

Fusioncode said:
They tried buying Nintendo for 25b and that didn't work out.

source?

d21lewis said:

Lol here some gold

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

bananaking21 said:
Fusioncode said:
They tried buying Nintendo for 25b and that didn't work out.

source?

http://www.dromble.com/2014/01/07/dolphin-tale-story-of-gamecube/

According to the book Opening the Xbox: Inside Microsoft’s Plan to Unleash an Entertainment Revolution”, Microsoft was ready to spend $25 billion for the Japanese game giant. Nintendo’s U.S. president Minoru Arakawa wasn’t sure what to think when Microsoft made the offer. “I was surprised,” Arakawa admitted. “We didn’t need the money. I thought it was a joke.”

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Unless Microsoft wanted to start producing movies, releasing music albums, making T.V. shows, and become a dedicated electronics manufacturer - it makes no sense. What would MS gain from buying Sony aside from a monopoly in the console market? They're already much more profitable than sony by just being a software company - why change your entire corporation and risk going into debt?

Plus Sony isn't a tiny small business. It is one of the largest corporations on Earth.