By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Seriously Why Doesn't Microsoft Just Buy Sony?

It wouldn't be worth it, even if they could swing a hostile takeover--especially if it were a hostile takeover. It would be decades before they'd see a positive return on that investment and that's assuming they could turn Sony around.

It also probably wouldn't mean brand consolidation, either, if it were to happen, which appears to be what some people are thinking. That almost never results in the merged brand claiming 2x the market share. We'd likely still see Playstation and Xbox brands, at least for awhile.

Still, it would kind of be interesting. Microsoft would have none of the sentimental feelings Sony has about producing televisions in Japan; my bet is that they'd ax the entire division, though moving production to China might be a possibility. Why would Microsoft get into insurance, though? Besides gaming, they might be interested in Sony's cell phone camera business but that's about it.

No, Microsoft's practice of buying up-and-coming technology companies is much more sound and free of excess baggage.

Around the Network

Nintendo would be a much cannier buy.

Nintendo though, have cash reserves nearly equal to their market cap though, and no significant debt - essentially putting their value nearer 40 billion.

And because their shareholders have made profit nearly every year, there's no real incentive to sell. And even if MS offered silly prices (ie. Well over market value) for their shares, most of their major shareholders are loyal long term investors, most of whom would want the company to remain in Japanese hands.

enditall727 said:
Seece said:
enditall727 said:

You..

A company has to want to be bought.. to be bought

Sony wouldn't let MS buy them anyways.. 

Not true, they'd just do a hostile take over and offer shareholders a deal they couldn't refuse. They couldn't do this with Nintendo for obvious reasons.

Nah i dont think that would happen. If this situation ever presented itself( which it wont), I could only see Sony letting themselves join Apple.

Aple would have to want Sony. Why would Sony chose Apple over Microsoft? Don't act like they're rivals (MS and Sny) because really, they're not. Actually MS and Sony are more a match than Apple and Sony.

But this will never happen. If wanted to win the console war by spending $18b all they would have to do is buy taketwo, EA, Activision ect ect and end it.

Assuming it could happen, why would Microsoft spend so much money on a financially disastrous company.

Because there would be no sport in doing that. Sony still makes computers for them, plus they get to 'play' gaming against them. It's fun to have a challenger.

Even Nintendo is worth more than Sony right now. But in a couple of years, things might be different. Sony might be back on it's feet, or a real bargain.

I think it really depends how much Steam will eat up the console business. From what I have seen, not too much.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

Because they are far more intelligent than anyone who would like them to buy Sony.

As for buying up studios. If Rare and others like Jon Blow and Bungie (who didn't leave MS on the best of terms) are anyone to listen to, the last thing any developer wants is to be owned by MS.

Seece said:
enditall727 said:
Seece said:
enditall727 said:

You..

A company has to want to be bought.. to be bought

Sony wouldn't let MS buy them anyways.. 

Not true, they'd just do a hostile take over and offer shareholders a deal they couldn't refuse. They couldn't do this with Nintendo for obvious reasons.

Nah i dont think that would happen. If this situation ever presented itself( which it wont), I could only see Sony letting themselves join Apple.

Aple would have to want Sony. Why would Sony chose Apple over Microsoft? Don't act like they're rivals (MS and Sny) because really, they're not. Actually MS and Sony are more a match than Apple and Sony.

But this will never happen. If wanted to win the console war by spending $18b all they would have to do is buy taketwo, EA, Activision ect ect and end it.

Because Apple is still new to the gaming scene and MS has already proven that it is pretty much a no-sell in japan. 

And Apple would be a fresh and clean start. Sony would probably have more flexibity with Apple than MS.

but yea.. This wouldn't happen either way

And i dont think Activision, EA and Taketwo would let themselves be bought either

Because of a xenophobic Japanese government, They might not let an American company buy a corporation as well known as Sony and also the debt and apple are already buying them

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Why don't they buy Nintendo at the same time? and Steam? then they can run the gaming world.