By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo is worth more than Sony. Microsoft kicks both companies

FrancisNobleman said:
that takes into consideration all other microsoft business, which together dwarf anything sony and nintendo do.

If you count gaming division only, I think Microsoft is still in the red, counting from the begging from the first xbox.

You realise that this is not a profit/loss measurement, but a listing of current market capitalisation right?

In any event, by the end of the previous generation Microsoft was making substantial profits off of the Xbox 360 to the best of our knowledge, whereas Sony was only just bringing its gaming division around to profitability (albeit dragged down by the Vita).

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:
FrancisNobleman said:
that takes into consideration all other microsoft business, which together dwarf anything sony and nintendo do.

If you count gaming division only, I think Microsoft is still in the red, counting from the begging from the first xbox.

You realise that this is not a profit/loss measurement, but a listing of current market capitalisation right?

In any event, by the end of the previous generation Microsoft was making substantial profits off of the Xbox 360 to the best of our knowledge, whereas Sony was only just bringing its gaming division around to profitability (albeit dragged down by the Vita).

Yea it should be pretty obvious to everyone that Microsoft is the largest company by far.    The sales of things like Windows and Microsoft Office consistantly bring in billions every year. 

sc94597 said:
It's quite impressive how big Nintendo is for a company that pretty much exclusively does games.

Pffft, we all know Nintendo still runs love hotels.

Anyway, I am now transferring my allegiance to Sony, as I am genetically compelled to root for the underdog!

veritaz said:
LOL the Nintendo fans in this thread are hilarious. Every single one of them is talking so much crap. PlayStation isn't going anywhere guys, you gotta deal with it.

Finally someone with good reason.

Yes, Sony has seen better times, but the PlayStation brand is still as strong as ever. And believe me, no one wants to see it go under. It would be without precedent for the entire industry.

superhippy420 said:
Arius Dion said:
0815user said:
seriously i don't get why some of you are so keen about talking what a company is worth? do you people make your decicions upon buying a product dependant of the market value of the developer? i certainly don't.

Consumer confidence is tied to this. As is every major decision moving forward. Remember when Sega used to make consoles? They don't any more. Guess why? 

It really doesnt matter what a company is worth if you dont own stock, until that company goes under and then your favorite console devoloper is gone.    Just go look at Segas Genesis sales, its very similar to the PS3 situation.  It sold a respectable number of consoles, but the software sold terribly, and then they just started to throw anything at the wall to see if it would stick.  Thats Playsation Now, no doubt in my mind,  whoreing out your entire library for a quick buck is something you would never EVER see Disney or Nintendo do.

C'mon, you can't seriously say the PS Now is something for a quick buck.

Sony has invested million into cloud technologies with Gaikai to transform the PlayStation brand into a service, something for the future. You'll still need to rent your games, so its not like they are doing an Oprah here. They're future proofing their business, which is extremely important in the longrun.

Around the Network
0815user said:
seriously i don't get why some of you are so keen about talking what a company is worth? do you people make your decicions upon buying a product dependant of the market value of the developer? i certainly don't.

Yes, odd how some folks on a sales site are somewhat interested in the business side of things, 'innit?

Arius Dion said:
superhippy420 said:
Is anyone here really shocked by this. Sony has been bleeding cash for years, and then they go sell 4 million PS4's which don't even bring in profit and people act like they should be the kings of the world again. The PS3 was a huge failure for Sony, even after selling 80 million consoles. They only sold 95 million 1st party games and a ton of those were packs ins. The Vita has sold 7 million but the software sales are pathetic. They have sold about 4.3 million 1st party games total, while Pokemon X/Y has moved 9.3 million on its own, in 3 months. They have been destroyed in the TV market, not doing very well in the home appliance market, and have zero presence in the tablet/smart device market. For as bad as the Wii U is doing Nintendo has moved 8 million copies of unbundled 1st party software on it, not to mention that Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, and Smash Bros will sell millions no doubt. The 3DS console and software alone is more profitable then Sony's entire company right now. Trust me I want Sony to do better because Microsoft left a really bad taste in my mouth last gen, but if Sony is around in its current form in 5 - 10 years I would be surprised.

I agree totally. This is the brutal ugly truth that many don't want to look at. Sony has had junk status rating for nearly a year, and for good reason. Gaming is a very very hostile business endeavor, that is why there are tons of  console corpses left to the forgotten history of console gaming.

I remember Sega fans during the Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, and ultimately the Dreamcast days. It happened suddenly, and before you knew it Sega was making games only for former competitors. If you aren't making $ in this business, get out while you still can. You hit the nail on the head, software is where the money is made, and while its great theatre to talk about PS3 being the million seller king (even though many games need more than $3-5m sales in order to make money, which is absurd) despite selling overall less software than the 360 and/or Wii, it really means nothing of relevance.

Financial numbers can't be debated, games quality sure, but not the cold hard cash numbers. For this reason, I really wouldn't be shocked if Sony goes bye bye from gaming. This isn't the 90's or early 2k's when the walkman was the shit and Sony was seen as the top dog in electronics such as TV's etc. I don't know where Sony will be able to regain ground in the markets that are dominated by Samsung, or Apple. I think they may just be trying to eliminate hardware altogether which isn't a bad move, making all of their content available across tablets or smart phones, Vita etc. But then wouldn't that make them technically and third party?

Hey you should get a job as a financial analyst???? Sony are going nowhere!

Ashadian said:
Arius Dion said:
superhippy420 said:
Is anyone here really shocked by this. Sony has been bleeding cash for years, and then they go sell 4 million PS4's which don't even bring in profit and people act like they should be the kings of the world again. The PS3 was a huge failure for Sony, even after selling 80 million consoles. They only sold 95 million 1st party games and a ton of those were packs ins. The Vita has sold 7 million but the software sales are pathetic. They have sold about 4.3 million 1st party games total, while Pokemon X/Y has moved 9.3 million on its own, in 3 months. They have been destroyed in the TV market, not doing very well in the home appliance market, and have zero presence in the tablet/smart device market. For as bad as the Wii U is doing Nintendo has moved 8 million copies of unbundled 1st party software on it, not to mention that Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, and Smash Bros will sell millions no doubt. The 3DS console and software alone is more profitable then Sony's entire company right now. Trust me I want Sony to do better because Microsoft left a really bad taste in my mouth last gen, but if Sony is around in its current form in 5 - 10 years I would be surprised.

I agree totally. This is the brutal ugly truth that many don't want to look at. Sony has had junk status rating for nearly a year, and for good reason. Gaming is a very very hostile business endeavor, that is why there are tons of  console corpses left to the forgotten history of console gaming.

I remember Sega fans during the Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, and ultimately the Dreamcast days. It happened suddenly, and before you knew it Sega was making games only for former competitors. If you aren't making $ in this business, get out while you still can. You hit the nail on the head, software is where the money is made, and while its great theatre to talk about PS3 being the million seller king (even though many games need more than $3-5m sales in order to make money, which is absurd) despite selling overall less software than the 360 and/or Wii, it really means nothing of relevance.

Financial numbers can't be debated, games quality sure, but not the cold hard cash numbers. For this reason, I really wouldn't be shocked if Sony goes bye bye from gaming. This isn't the 90's or early 2k's when the walkman was the shit and Sony was seen as the top dog in electronics such as TV's etc. I don't know where Sony will be able to regain ground in the markets that are dominated by Samsung, or Apple. I think they may just be trying to eliminate hardware altogether which isn't a bad move, making all of their content available across tablets or smart phones, Vita etc. But then wouldn't that make them technically and third party?

Hey you should get a job as a financial analyst???? Sony are going nowhere!

Even though the number is hyper inflated imo, it's still an interesting result:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/01/02/sony-has-78-chance-to-go-bankrupt-in-two-years-says-macroaxis/

if things were the other way around, this thread wouldn't fall from the hot topics section for days!

Arkhandar said:
superhippy420 said:
Arius Dion said:
0815user said:

Consumer confidence is tied to this. As is every major decision moving forward. Remember when Sega used to make consoles? They don't any more. Guess why? 

It really doesnt matter what a company is worth if you dont own stock, until that company goes under and then your favorite console devoloper is gone.    Just go look at Segas Genesis sales, its very similar to the PS3 situation.  It sold a respectable number of consoles, but the software sold terribly, and then they just started to throw anything at the wall to see if it would stick.  Thats Playsation Now, no doubt in my mind,  whoreing out your entire library for a quick buck is something you would never EVER see Disney or Nintendo do.

C'mon, you can't seriously say the PS Now is something for a quick buck.

Sony has invested million into cloud technologies with Gaikai to transform the PlayStation brand into a service, something for the future. You'll still need to rent your games, so its not like they are doing an Oprah here. They're future proofing their business, which is extremely important in the longrun.

so giving a broad audiance a convenient possibility to access your games is whoring out to you?! wow... just wow...