By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What made you switch consoles?

SNES to PSX because the games were much cheaper than N64 games (about the half here in Germany, e.g. Perfect Dark was at 169 Deutsche Mark) and it had Final Fantasy, Tekken, MGS and Gran Turismo.
PSX to GC because I missed Nintendo games and it had Smash Bros. Melee shortly after launch.

Around the Network

I Jumped from PS1 to N64 because of the Wrestling games. Then I was gonna go to the Gamecube expecting the same quality ; but my grandma asked me did I want a Playstation 2? Because most of my friends had one so she thought I wanted one too. Welp, I'm glad she did get me one.

fps_d0minat0r said:

lol funny how much s**t your brain thinks of. The trophies was just a 'plus' that I added to the end of my comment and you are making all these assumptions about gameplay and power. (the one about the ultimate experience in gameplay made me ROFL)

Its obviously annoyed you more than anything since you have had to stoop to such a level. Surely its not because you think im important or my opinion matters, so why dont you spit it out....whats your agenda?

Good to see you're still at it. Shows that pic is still eating away at you after what...3 days now?

This is the best backpedal post I've ever seen. You didn't jsut take a step back from your original stance, you tumbled a few times. But let's have some fun with this, shall we? I'll post the parts where you made a stand, and then the new corresponding stance from this post:

fps_d0minat0r said:

the more memory that changes, the better the experience must be 

fps_d0minat0r said:

(the one about the ultimate experience in gameplay made me ROFL)

(This was in regards to your "memory changing faster on the PS4 makes it the better experience" remark).

fps_d0minat0r said:

If only Nintendo gamers had the joy of collecting trophies for all of their games....which I just found out they dont.

fps_d0minat0r said:

The trophies was just a 'plus' that I added to the end of my comment 

So in other words, you're admitting that it was, in fact, a non-issue the entire time. In which case, this:

makes all the more sense to your original post. Pretty strange that you flew off the handle over something that you now regard as a non-issue, huh? It's a bit hypocritical of you to talk about "s**t on the brain"...

I've already told you the agenda; it's fun watching people dig themselves into a bigger hole, thinking they're digging their way out of them, only to find themselves right in the middle of the proverbial horse-shit. It reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNqXFKUA71I

Slowly but surely, you're moving to a similar position of the nosy neighbour, with no real ground to make with your claims, while I'm basking in the enjoyment of drinking up your humiliation each time. Disagree? See the attmepted backpedalling above....

Tell me again about how the pic didn't stir you up....

I buy whatever consoles have games I want.

With the dire PS3 launch I was happy with my 360, however my 4th RROD led to me ditching the format entirely so PS3 saw last gen out (which ironically I only originally bought as a Blu-ray player).

I now actively play Vita as my primary console followed by Wii U, PS4 and a bit of 3DS.

I'm keeping an eye on XB1, but I won't pay £430 for it and it needs to get enough exclusives for me to justify picking it up despite already having a PS4.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Often...sort of.

Had an Atari 2600 but switched to Nintendo with the NES and Atari stopped with the 7800 (which I never owned) or later the Jaguar (which I never owned).

Then when the Genesis and SNES came out the Genesis was cheaper so I went with that, but the SNES had so many good games I eventually got it as well.

I wanted a Saturn, but it was dying prematurely so I backed Nintendo as thought of Sony in same way I viewed Phillips or 3DO, some non gaming company trying its hand. Then Nintendo completely lost 3rd party support, especially with RPGs as Final Fantasy and all were going to the PlayStation. I actually won the PlayStation in amath competition at school (horray nerds!) and after playing the cheaper games and tons of RPGs my 64 largely collected dust.

The hardest decision was next. I remember seeing Soul Calibur and my jaw literally dropped. I wanted a Dreamcast so bad, but the Saturn had made me cautious so I went with Sony after the PS1 had done well by me. The Dreamcast died and I genuinely felt bad at the time. Then Nintendo came out with the Gamecube, which I got when Sonic came to it (this completely blew my mind at the time) and system price drop. I was unsure of Microsoft, but a game called Project Ego (later Fable) had so much hype I bought it just for it...only to be completely disappointed with the game.

I took a break from gaming living away, when I returned I honestly was not crazy about any of the three systems. I got a Wii because, hey its Nintendo, and played few games. My girl friend owned a 360 so while technically I did not own it it was there to be played. Sony fell hard from grace with the PS2 being my all time favorite system and the PS3 just felt anemic. Amusingly my friends went together and surprised me with one. It took a bit of time but the library built and I fell back in love with Sony as Microsoft went from catering to me to cranking our games I had no interest and pushing the Kinect, eventually the system died (RROD) to the dismay of my girl friend playing Gears of War. Nintendo seemingly abandoned the Wii so Sony really looked good by comparison.

Honestly, had no strong feeling until E3 when Microsoft took a huge dump on people like me and Sony just stayed neutral winning in a landslide by default. Nintendo weak start and experience with the Wii left me waiting on the Wii U (Hyrule Warriors!) for 2014. I was bit surprised, but moved by emotion I pre-ordered a PS4 because over the years only Sony has never let me down (mild exception being early years of PS3).

So, to recap

Atari -> Nintendo -> Sega -> Nintendo -> Sony -> Sony -> Nintendo -> Microsoft -> Nintendo -> Microsoft -> Sony -> Sony

Around the Network
fordy said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

lol funny how much s**t your brain thinks of. The trophies was just a 'plus' that I added to the end of my comment and you are making all these assumptions about gameplay and power. (the one about the ultimate experience in gameplay made me ROFL)

Its obviously annoyed you more than anything since you have had to stoop to such a level. Surely its not because you think im important or my opinion matters, so why dont you spit it out....whats your agenda?

Good to see you're still at it. Shows that pic is still eating away at you after what...3 days now?

This is the best backpedal post I've ever seen. You didn't jsut take a step back from your original stance, you tumbled a few times. But let's have some fun with this, shall we? I'll post the parts where you made a stand, and then the new corresponding stance from this post:

fps_d0minat0r said:

the more memory that changes, the better the experience must be 

fps_d0minat0r said:

(the one about the ultimate experience in gameplay made me ROFL)

(This was in regards to your "memory changing faster on the PS4 makes it the better experience" remark).

fps_d0minat0r said:

If only Nintendo gamers had the joy of collecting trophies for all of their games....which I just found out they dont.

fps_d0minat0r said:

The trophies was just a 'plus' that I added to the end of my comment 

So in other words, you're admitting that it was, in fact, a non-issue the entire time. In which case, this:

makes all the more sense to your original post. Pretty strange that you flew off the handle over something that you now regard as a non-issue, huh? It's a bit hypocritical of you to talk about "s**t on the brain"...

I've already told you the agenda; it's fun watching people dig themselves into a bigger hole, thinking they're digging their way out of them, only to find themselves right in the middle of the proverbial horse-shit. It reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNqXFKUA71I

Slowly but surely, you're moving to a similar position of the nosy neighbour, with no real ground to make with your claims, while I'm basking in the enjoyment of drinking up your humiliation each time. Disagree? See the attmepted backpedalling above....

Tell me again about how the pic didn't stir you up....

lol youre the one who started talking crap about memory values then when I sarcastically carried that on to imply if its so important then why doesnt nintendos games use more memory than PS?

now apprently its a stupid point and im the one who started it.

Youre correct in saying those points are idiotic, but heres the quote where you started it:

fordy said:

fps_d0minat0r said:

tbh nothing on this site would be classified as a first world problem, especially your replies.

and if nintendo did have trophies, I would consider making the centralised location nintendo over sony, ofcourse this is not an option since they do not offer the service or the third party games.

Really? You're admitting that your issue is even more trivial than a first world problem? That just makes it all the more amusing that it was bugging you enough to even bring it up in a post.

This is what's making it amusing. You're attempting to rile me up by saying that Nintendo fucked up and turned you off as a potential customer.  To that I'd say "Yes, they do that. They're a corporate entity. Corporate entities don't care about you, only your money". You do realise that applies to all three companies, right?

As for trophies themselves, if somebody gets their rocks off watching a visual representation of a memory location turning from a 0 to a 1 in a collection, more power to them...

so youre the hypocrit that has your 'rocks off'....more power to you.

first you think a trophy is about memory value and has nothing to do with the actions you perform in a game, and then you start comparing games with trophies.

either state youre point in 1 line or go away. dont go round and round in cirlces saying crap and then blame the stupidty that stems from it on me.

"So in other words, you're admitting that it was, in fact, a non-issue the entire time."

YES!!! finally! it is a non issue. the day nintendo gets better third party games, and has more hardcore exclsuives, Id switch with the blink of an eye even if it didnt have trophies!....thats what a "plus" is.... it will never be a sole reason to justify owning 1 system over another like games are.

ofcourse its still a fact that adding a trophy system to that hypothetical nintendo console would be a nice 'plus' feature for many of its users that causes no detrimental impact on the quality of the games to those who dont care about it.

fps_d0minat0r said:

lol youre the one who started talking crap about memory values then when I sarcastically carried that on to imply if its so important then why doesnt nintendos games use more memory than PS?

Youre correct in saying those points are idiotic, but heres the quote where you started it:

fordy said:

fps_d0minat0r said:

tbh nothing on this site would be classified as a first world problem, especially your replies.

and if nintendo did have trophies, I would consider making the centralised location nintendo over sony, ofcourse this is not an option since they do not offer the service or the third party games.

Really? You're admitting that your issue is even more trivial than a first world problem? That just makes it all the more amusing that it was bugging you enough to even bring it up in a post.

This is what's making it amusing. You're attempting to rile me up by saying that Nintendo fucked up and turned you off as a potential customer.  To that I'd say "Yes, they do that. They're a corporate entity. Corporate entities don't care about you, only your money". You do realise that applies to all three companies, right?

As for trophies themselves, if somebody gets their rocks off watching a visual representation of a memory location turning from a 0 to a 1 in a collection, more power to them...

first you think a trophy is about memory value and has nothing to do with the actions you perform in a game, and then you start comparing games with trophies.

either state youre point in 1 line or go away. dont go round and round in cirlces saying crap and then blame the stupidty that stems from it on me.

"So in other words, you're admitting that it was, in fact, a non-issue the entire time."

YES!!! finally! it is a non issue. the day nintendo gets better third party games, and has more hardcore exclsuives, Id switch with the blink of an eye even if it didnt have trophies!....thats what a "plus" is.... it will never be a sole reason to justify owning 1 system over another like games are.

ofcourse its still a fact that adding a trophy system to that hypothetical nintendo console would be a nice 'plus' feature for many of its users that causes no detrimental impact on the quality of the games to those who dont care about it.

I talked about memory values; you're the one who stated that faster changing values meant the better experience. I'll state it clearer for you, since it's obvious that you don't understand:

Unlike values internally registered within the game, trophies/achievements provide no extra merit to progress the game itself. While some MAY appear at the crux of a storyline, they're not the part itself that advances the game, rather the other way around. In other words, once they're set, they provide no other value to the game, or anything else other than for showoff value.

However, before you bring up the whole "it's all about the way to achieve them" thing, I'll raise 2 points:

1. How does giving a list of "things to do" count towards the way they're achieved? You might as well just be given a list of instructions on how to fully complete the game, for that matter. They have a "spolier" element to them and usually break the aesthetics between he game design and the underlying OS.

2. We all know how brilliant  all trophies can be, right? Oh right. In fact, one such game ridiculed the concept down to a tee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B95T5ewzSpU

You see, a lot of said achievements/tropihies are meaningless, trivial little things that would hardly bear any achievement at all. This usually leads to a skew of bad game purchases made just to collect cheap trophies/achievements, and a mad misrepresentation of what the market actually wants (if you've complained about casuals in the gaming market before, then you should know EXACTLY where I'm coming from with this).

Additions are one thing, but if it comes at ANY expense to already established mechanics (such as games aesthetics), it's not as simple of an "addition" as you think it is. This is advice from somebody who designs/develops user requested additions to systems for a living.

Keep in mind that this has all stemmed from what you've just admitted is a non-issue to you, which is why you should have related to the pic, instead of taking it personally (and don't go denying this. You tried to use the "team mentality" bullshit to assume I'd get angry about Nintendo not having the same thing. Either that, or you just like making replies that have absolutely no relevance to the post you're replying to). Are you still willing to argue over this supposed non-issue? Each response is only showing just how much that pic dug deep into your non-issue opinion of trophies/achievements...

I went back to nintendo with the 3DS, simply because I'm tired of cinematic AAA experiences and just want fun games to play.

fordy said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

fordy said:

fps_d0minat0r said:

I talked about memory values; you're the one who stated that faster changing values meant the better experience. I'll state it clearer for you, since it's obvious that you don't understand:

Unlike values internally registered within the game, trophies/achievements provide no extra merit to progress the game itself. While some MAY appear at the crux of a storyline, they're not the part itself that advances the game, rather the other way around. In other words, once they're set, they provide no other value to the game, or anything else other than for showoff value.

However, before you bring up the whole "it's all about the way to achieve them" thing, I'll raise 2 points:

1. How does giving a list of "things to do" count towards the way they're achieved? You might as well just be given a list of instructions on how to fully complete the game, for that matter. They have a "spolier" element to them and usually break the aesthetics between he game design and the underlying OS.

2. We all know how brilliant  all trophies can be, right? Oh right. In fact, one such game ridiculed the concept down to a tee:

You see, a lot of said achievements/tropihies are meaningless, trivial little things that would hardly bear any achievement at all. This usually leads to a skew of bad game purchases made just to collect cheap trophies/achievements, and a mad misrepresentation of what the market actually wants (if you've complained about casuals in the gaming market before, then you should know EXACTLY where I'm coming from with this).

Additions are one thing, but if it comes at ANY expense to already established mechanics (such as games aesthetics), it's not as simple of an "addition" as you think it is. This is advice from somebody who designs/develops user requested additions to systems for a living.

Keep in mind that this has all stemmed from what you've just admitted is a non-issue to you, which is why you should have related to the pic, instead of taking it personally (and don't go denying this. You tried to use the "team mentality" bullshit to assume I'd get angry about Nintendo not having the same thing. Either that, or you just like making replies that have absolutely no relevance to the post you're replying to). Are you still willing to argue over this supposed non-issue? Each response is only showing just how much that pic dug deep into your non-issue opinion of trophies/achievements...

if you were a non-gamer, I could understand the crooked nature of your argument.

I just cant understand the way you neglect the trophy/achievement systems given that you play games which is also a "trivial" thing that "bears no achievement at all" and has been "ridiculed" even more so than the video in the link.

Its just hypocrisy at its finest.

fps_d0minat0r said:
fordy said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

fordy said:

fps_d0minat0r said:

if you were a non-gamer, I could understand the crooked nature of your argument.

I just cant understand the way you neglect the trophy/achievement systems given that you play games which is also a "trivial" thing that "bears no achievement at all" and has been "ridiculed" even more so than the video in the link.

Its just hypocrisy at its finest.

Ah yes, now we're really getting into the reason why you felt so hurt...

I suggest you re-read my reasons as to why in many cases, it's not such as beneficial as an addition as you make it out to be, instead of trying to strawman the argument.

"If you're against trophies, then you're against gaming". Is that what you've finally resorted to? Really, I thought your argument was at least going to have at least SOME thought behind it, instead of a kneejerk response, just like what you did with the pic.

To enjoy achievements/trophies, you have to enjoy gaming, but you don't have to enjoy achievements/trophies in order to enjoy gaming. You do realise the difference between these two, right? 

My my, I'm starting to think this is much less of a non-issue to you as you say it is...