By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Titanfall be THE GAME That Pushes Xbox One Above PS4 in America?

Hiku said:
deskpro2k3 said:
The superior version of Titanfall will most likely be on PC.

^This

Kyuu said:
People keep mentioning price cut as a potential Xbox advantage. Why are you assuming Sony can't respond with a price cut of their own?

Unless Microsoft pulls another 180 by ditching Kinect, price cut will never be an advantage for them.

^And this.

If there's one thing Sony obviously learned from their mistakes of the PS3 launch, it was the price of the console.
They now have a technically more powerful console than Microsofts, and at a lower price. Who's to say they are willing to let go of this advantage if Microsoft cut the price of their machine? Sony may very well follow suit.

As for Titanfall, plenty of people will no doubt go for the PC version. Not just because it may be the best version, but also because they already own a PC, etc. When it comes to the long term, I'm not sure if Microsoft will still own the console exclusive rights to it. From the sound of it, it may be a time exclusive deal.

In conclusion, I think Titanfall will certainly boost Xbox One's sales. But whether it'll outsell PS4 or not I can't really say.

It's unlikely that Sony would follow suit on a price cut if they didnt' HAVE to. The reason MS has room to make a price cut is because MS has money. Loads of it. Every division prints money. MS makes more profit, per quarter, than Sony, as an entire company, has made in the last 10 years. If they sell their next 8 million units for $100 less, their profit margin for the year goes from $27 Billion to $26.2 Billion.  To even match half that price cut on an equal number of units, sony stands to risk going from in the black for the year (not something they even do consistently) to in the red.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
DevilRising said:
busbfran said:
I can't wait to see how this console war finishes its going to be ALOT close then everyone thought

You mean to say a lot closer than most hardcore Sony fanboys currently THINK. In case you haven't been paying attention, according to them, this gen is going to be for PS4 like the PS2 generation was.

yeah no, theres actually very few people who think that.

It's safe to say there will be at least a difference of 30M between X1 and PS4 ( 10M in Japan + 20M in europe )

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Buckwheat said:
I was wondering today if Second Son (PS4) will sell more copies than Titanfall (Xbox One). I think 6v6 upset a lot of people regardless of whether it was the right thing to do or not. I don't see it being the big system seller that Xbox One needs. New IPs are usually not system sellers no matter how good they are. Halo 5 is what will sell the system.

Well.....Gears of War, Bioshock (even with simultaneous PC version released), Mass Effect. Just a few new IPs in the early years of last gen that sold a fair amount of consoles.

Actually the reality is that new IPs sell better early in the gens and ones released near the end of a gen sell less.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
oniyide said:
DevilRising said:
busbfran said:
I can't wait to see how this console war finishes its going to be ALOT close then everyone thought

You mean to say a lot closer than most hardcore Sony fanboys currently THINK. In case you haven't been paying attention, according to them, this gen is going to be for PS4 like the PS2 generation was.

Really? I mean it wont be like X1 and WiiU selling 20-25 million lifetime......that would be just horrible and monopolistic. X1 would at least do better then that but whether its 25 million or even 60 million......if PS4 pulls a PS2 this gen, it is still essentially the same end result.

that was my point. No way that PS4 will kick BOTH Wii us and xbone asses that badly. nobody thinks that will really happen. Xbone is doing good, and will be close behind PS4. Wii U might get trounced but it still wont be the asskicking PS2 laid on xbox and cube

Aerys said:
oniyide said:
DevilRising said:
busbfran said:

It's safe to say there will be at least a difference of 30M between X1 and PS4 ( 10M in Japan + 20M in europe )

even if that were true, it still isnt PS2 level of slaughter, not even close

Around the Network
Jereel Hunter said:
Hiku said:
deskpro2k3 said:
The superior version of Titanfall will most likely be on PC.

^This

Kyuu said:
People keep mentioning price cut as a potential Xbox advantage. Why are you assuming Sony can't respond with a price cut of their own?

Unless Microsoft pulls another 180 by ditching Kinect, price cut will never be an advantage for them.

^And this.

If there's one thing Sony obviously learned from their mistakes of the PS3 launch, it was the price of the console.
They now have a technically more powerful console than Microsofts, and at a lower price. Who's to say they are willing to let go of this advantage if Microsoft cut the price of their machine? Sony may very well follow suit.

As for Titanfall, plenty of people will no doubt go for the PC version. Not just because it may be the best version, but also because they already own a PC, etc. When it comes to the long term, I'm not sure if Microsoft will still own the console exclusive rights to it. From the sound of it, it may be a time exclusive deal.

In conclusion, I think Titanfall will certainly boost Xbox One's sales. But whether it'll outsell PS4 or not I can't really say.

It's unlikely that Sony would follow suit on a price cut if they didnt' HAVE to. The reason MS has room to make a price cut is because MS has money. Loads of it. Every division prints money. MS makes more profit, per quarter, than Sony, as an entire company, has made in the last 10 years. If they sell their next 8 million units for $100 less, their profit margin for the year goes from $27 Billion to $26.2 Billion.  To even match half that price cut on an equal number of units, sony stands to risk going from in the black for the year (not something they even do consistently) to in the red.

As much as I would like MS to just dump a cool billion into the Xbox division to fund a price cut, it will just look bad to the shareholders and show up as red ink on a otherwise black quarterly report. For better or for worse, they want to be profitable with their current funding. Good news is 360 is still as expensive as ever with their 2008 prices........ugh. It should help pad the X1s first couple years.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

oniyide said:
Aerys said:
oniyide said:
DevilRising said:
busbfran said:

even if that were true, it still isnt PS2 level of slaughter, not even close

Of course, a PS2 level is impossible nowadays, with xbox fanbase assuring at least 60M and Nintendo, i dont know, 30M.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Machiavellian said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Machiavellian said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Both studios will have good showings, im sure but to boast about studios when they have no history is a wasted argument. Its just a meaningless list. Its not a lie to say that Microsoft has padded out their in-house failures by using outside ventures. Killer Instinct is just that an outside venture and so is Gears of War. Double Helix is making games for Playstation as well. Just goes to show how Microsoft feels about Rare. It doesn't take very much to see Rare will stay a Kinect company for a good long while.

Thats a non issue.  MS controls the IP of the stuff they have given to other developers not part of their in-house group.  Who cares if the team is in-house or outsource as long as the end product is high quality.  As a gamer, I do not see myself caring who MS give a project to as long as the end result is a quality project.  Also as a gamer, I do not see myself caring if MS hire teams outside of thier company to produce games.  I can produce many games people throw out there as exclusive where the studio is not part of Sony but people on Sony console really do not care.

Sony and Nintendo do this all the time and its something OEM have been doing for years.  Why this is an issue I am having a hard time seeing.

People view things differently. This is one thing you must truthfully understand. I value creative control in companies not just on an game developer level but also on an administration level. In my opinion Sony and Nintendo have are still on top where that is concerned. This is why they have much more home grown first party than Microsoft. I don't just trust companies who buy IP's and wave them like a flag. If the game is good then great i'll play it, but I wont expect the company out of the clear blue sky to just hit a home run. Just like I don't accept a list of unproven developers who are just embarking upon their first games. If the company created the game, the creative control has a higher chance of staying that way. Hopefully Microsoft hits home runs. Based on the people Microsoft has hired, I hope for great things, but I would not boast just yet. 

From reading the thread, I do not believe anyone boasted about the studios MS built but was disproving someone stating that MS was not spending money on creating first party studios.  For the last 2 years MS has spent building up these studios with veteran talent.  Even current studios they already own they have improved those teams with more experience talent.  I believe 343 and Rare have both increase in size to accomplish multiple projects.  

I believe the argument is that MS has put their money where their mouth is and is doing what it takes to create first party content.  To dismiss these efforts I believe is the problem.

This is not the first time Microsoft has created a major first party studio XSN games anyone? Microsoft has a history of dead first party since they entered the industry. Hopefully their third gen is a charm.

Yes MS has had first party studios and killed them and so have the competition.  Did Sony not kill off 3 studios themselves.  I am not sure what your point is.  All of the console players have had and dropped dead weight.  This is not a measure of how competitent either are at creating studios.  Actually the studios from Sony I believe that are the most successful are the ones they bought not created.

They probably did kill off three businesses, but Sony hasn't left a trail of dead first party like Microsoft is all I am saying. Look at much first party Sony has now that MS forced them to not depend on third parties and now its only going to grow. MS has to match them, but they will still depend on third parties. The most successful companies have the most creative people with an eye for what people enmass want. Its easy for a corporation to buy what they couldn't make themselves. For Sony to have a vision with Naughty Dog since 1995 and come out with the games in tandem that they have together, you start to understand the level of creativity that not only flows through the developers that they align themselves with but the administrative portion of the company as well. Naughty Dog and Sony formed because they had and eye for Pixar-like games and wanted to be the forefront of that after Pixar blew up with Toy Story. Look at them now...they do that and they are onto bigger and better thing like Uncharted and Last of Us touting a much closer and creative relationship than even Rare had with Nintendo. I mean Uncharted was supposed to be a Lord of the Rings style game and Sony told them whats hot in the market and how to change it. They did the rest. All the major companies Sony purchased have an aligned mentality with Sony. Sucker Punch is no different. Sony believes in them in a way Microsoft would've dropped them for years ago. Companies like Naughty Dog &  Sucker Punch are examples of the extended style Sony touts that no one can match. Even Sony Santamonica has a similar attitude even though they do something different and Sony created them. Sony just has innate epic sensibilities especially since they are also a movie house. 

Remedy might make games for Microsoft, but they are moreso thankful for the money MS is giving them from what I've read because now they can make games as big and creative as they want to. Creative isn't Microsofts strongsuit unless you're talking OS which they floor their competition with (but Sony's isn't bad at all this gen). Look at Rares position and I feel bad for them because an outside company like Double Helix is making them look like asses. Its a shame and you know it. Rare is f'n done. Stick a fork in them unless Microsoft stops using them for Kinect. 

See some future crow eating gonna happen in a few months, save this thread.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

the answer to this question will most likely be no Titanfall will not sell consoles, my reasoning is its coming to both the 360 and the pc so theres not a huge reason to go out and buy a x1 for just this game.