By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - United States of America + Canada?

Should the two countries become one?

Yes - Canada should join the United States 52 17.39%

Yes - through an EU-styled agreement 42 14.05%

Yes - through some other means 3 1.00%

No - though I support fur... 109 36.45%

No - the two countries ar... 68 22.74%

Other/Not Sure 17 5.69%

Total:291

For your reference I am a U.S. citizen. A Michigander, actually - sort of a 'lite Canadian'.

Canada and the United States are very similar - sharing the world's longest border, similar institutions, a long history of mutual friendship, one of the world's most important trade relationships, participation in the same alliances and international organizations, mutually agreed upon goals, and more.  Isn't it time that the two nations become one, or at the very least, work steadily toward further integration?  I can't think of another two countries more similar than we are.  Why the border?  Why make it difficult for Canadians to work in the United States, or for Americans to work in Canada?  Why not maintain a common military?  Why not commit ourselves to work together in solving the great issues of our time?

Here's the only website I know of supporting this issue:
http://www.annexation.ca/

What do you think?  Should the two nations finally become one? Should they remain separate - and why? Is further integration desirable?  What could be gained by remaining separate - or through further efforts toward integration?

Discuss.

/edit: here's a (relatively) recent article about just this issue:
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303997604579238301861025662?mod=trending_now_2

/edit2: here is a well-thought out list of reasons why Canada should consider joining the United States:
http://www.unitednorthamerica.org/faq.htm

Around the Network

Countries don't unite for reasons such as that.

TheLegendaryWolf said:
Countries don't unite for reasons such as that.

I'm afraid then I'm not sure why countries do unite.  Would you mind enlightening us?

NolSinkler said:

For your reference I am a U.S. citizen. A Michigander, actually - sort of a 'lite Canadian'.

Canada and the United States are very similar - sharing the world's longest border, similar institutions, a long history of mutual friendship, one of the world's most important trade relationships, participation in the same alliances and international organizations, mutually agreed upon goals, and more.  Isn't it time that the two nations become one, or at the very least, work steadily toward further integration?  I can't think of another two countries more similar than we are.  Why the border?  Why make it difficult for Canadians to work in the United States, or for Americans to work in Canada?  Why not maintain a common military?  Why not commit ourselves to work together in solving the great issues of our time?

Here's the only website I know of supporting this issue:
http://www.annexation.ca/

What do you think?  Should the two nations finally become one? Should they remain separate - and why? Is further integration desirable?  What could be gained by remaining separate - or through further efforts toward integration?

Discuss.

/edit: here's a (relatively) recent article about just this issue:
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303997604579238301861025662?mod=trending_now_2

Australia and New Zealand would probs trumps you on that one. Our only difference to you is the lack of border, but that never stopped us accepting those retarded Taswegians

Countries unite for a lot of reasons, mostly economical though. But I don't see much of a reason for them to join. Though they should work on cooperating closer.

I'm pretty much spoiled by the EU because I can work and live and hop over borders whenever and wherever I want. I think US citizens and Canadians should have the same opportunities.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Lots of similarities but also totally different health systems. Canada is more akin to our NHS in that's it's free to all people taxpayers rather than the rich favouring US system.

Let American Imperialism resume!!! first we get Canada to join and then we expand to Mexico and slowly but surely get Central America to join the American empire.

No because, and I don't mean to say this rudely so please don't take it as such, I don't want an even more socialized nation.

NobleTeam360 said:
Let American Imperialism resume!!! first we get Canada to join and then we expand to Mexico and slowly but surely get Centarl America to join the American empire.

That would ruin the United States economy and probably help the Canadian economy and CERTAINLY help the Mexican economy.

I'm all for more trade with Canada and being on extremely friendly basis. However, I doubt that a majority of citizens from both countries would agree to what you propose.