By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - United States of America + Canada?

Should the two countries become one?

Yes - Canada should join the United States 52 17.39%

Yes - through an EU-styled agreement 42 14.05%

Yes - through some other means 3 1.00%

No - though I support fur... 109 36.45%

No - the two countries ar... 68 22.74%

Other/Not Sure 17 5.69%

Total:291
NolSinkler said:

For your reference I am a U.S. citizen. A Michigander, actually - sort of a 'lite Canadian'.

Canada and the United States are very similar - sharing the world's longest border, similar institutions, a long history of mutual friendship, one of the world's most important trade relationships, participation in the same alliances and international organizations, mutually agreed upon goals, and more.  Isn't it time that the two nations become one, or at the very least, work steadily toward further integration?  I can't think of another two countries more similar than we are.  Why the border?  Why make it difficult for Canadians to work in the United States, or for Americans to work in Canada?  Why not maintain a common military?  Why not commit ourselves to work together in solving the great issues of our time?

Here's the only website I know of supporting this issue:
http://www.annexation.ca/

What do you think?  Should the two nations finally become one? Should they remain separate - and why? Is further integration desirable?  What could be gained by remaining separate - or through further efforts toward integration?

Discuss.

/edit: here's a (relatively) recent article about just this issue:
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303997604579238301861025662?mod=trending_now_2

Sweden and Norway are pretty close. Only that Swedes are dumb and they never buy stuff in Norway, while we spend billions getting cheap candy and clothes at the Swedish border. Even so, can't see us teaming up anytime soon.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
No because, and I don't mean to say this rudely so please don't take it as such, I don't want an even more socialized nation.

Ah, not rude at all! Having and expressing opinions on this [non-]issue is what this thread is about!

I don't think this would work at all, I mean if we were under one country we would be expected to have similar laws and that is where we are completely opposite.  I mean there is no death penelty in Canada, our heath care systems couldn't be more different and don't get me started on firearm laws.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

I don't think this would work at all, I mean if we were under one country we would be expected to have similar laws and that is where we are completely opposite.  I mean there is no death penelty in Canada, our heath care systems couldn't be more different and don't get me started on firearm laws.

Don't you think the peoples of these two great nations would be capable of solving these issues together?

Thanks but No Thanks... I like our free heath care and less in debt country as well as a friendly public eye and much better alliance with many other countries... Granted Canada is not perfect but imo, I like Canada more than USA, specially as a separate country

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
NolSinkler said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Don't you think the peoples of these two great nations would be capable of solving these issues together?

No not at all, Canada would never give up their health care system and ur country is basically incapable of taking up our health care system cause the insurance companies hold so much power.  The same thing can be said about the gun laws, I know u americans love ur guns and would never give them up, and speaking for myself I would hate it if Canada got ur gun laws.  I'd say its better to stay seperate, we have a significantly different society than what u guys have in America.

sethnintendo said:
I'm all for more trade with Canada and being on extremely friendly basis. However, I doubt that a majority of citizens from both countries would agree to what you propose.

Ah, no, true - but very recently a sizeable majority of people in both countries opposed gay marriage and look what's become of that issue. I understand that this is a non-starter - for now - but who is to say that these opinions won't change?

It's just a matter of time before the Yanks take us over anyway. I for one will be bent over the border with my pants down. Go easy on me please!

Gaming Away Life Since 1985

No. Under the skin Canada and the US are almost day and night and you would be surprised on how much anti-American sentiment exists here along with a recent surge of nationalism (which every political party here propagates in some way). Urban folk are usually more friendly but rural people can be really hostile towards Americans.

Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRI-A3vakVg there's others such as all the 1812 ads that played around Canada Day on how awesome Canada is.

In my personal opinion I just don't think we have enough in common and I have a feeling that joining up with a country 10 times our population is going to feel like an act of imperialism and the things we like as Canadians would probably be repressed. I'm all up for having close relations and an alliance but a union, no.

I can believe in a continential union such as the EU, but at a much lesser scale. Currency, laws, country pride (yes it exists for some), and countless other factors come into play to unite both countries into one sole country.