By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rare, 1994-2001: The Best Run Ever?

Tagged games:

Just look at this

1997 - FF7, GoldenEye 007, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Gran Turismo, GTA, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tekken 3
1998 - Metal Gear Solid, Starcraft, Xenogears, Half-Life, Resident Evil 2, Banjo-Kazooie, Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Plus the Dreamcast launching in 1998, and the N64 launching in Europe in 1997

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network

Best run ever is by the way

Squaresoft

1997 - FF7
1998 - Xenogears

How the hell did they do that? Plus bringing out FFT and Parasite Eve.
That was the pinnacle of Square.

''Hadouken!''

McDonaldsGuy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Yep, Naughty Dog is Sony's Rare, except they are first party. There was a downward spiral in the variety in Nintendos offerings once Rare left.

Naughty Dog needs to create more games though. They had 1 franchises per console, though Last of Us broke the mold.

Rare had so much diversity. Platformers, kart racers, first person shooters, action adventure... not only were they good games, they were HITS. Donkey Kong Country and Goldeneye both sold over 8 million copies for example.

Naught Dog is going to have to release at least 1 game per year and spread out a bit more before they can be compared to Rare.

Naughty Dog will continue to impress. Sony split Naughty Dog into two teams and increased the numbers. One team works on Uncharted and the other on other IP's. Rare made games in a time when titles could be created within a years time. Gaming is far more complex today.

Viltgance said:
If you like jrpg's squaresoft was king for over a decade....then enix bought them out and screwed that all up real good.

Enix didn't "buy them out", they had a joint-merger.  And despite all the hits Square put out throughout the 90s on the SNES and PS1, the company was still losing a ton of money in the early 00s thanks to overbloated game development budgets and the box office money pit that was FF Spirits Within.  Square's management was and is still today God awful.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

An absolutely amazing lineup of games.. Rare actually may have even surpassed Nintendo in quality during these years, and were my second favorite company at one point. Then they had there swan song game in 2005 with Kameo, and then completely just dropped off the map.. Such a shame.

Around the Network

Agree with you OP. Rare created my favourite two games ever during that period.

Zekkyou said:

Valve definitely need to be considered for the title. It's not flawless, but 15 years later and they are still hitting the same quality ^^ Most notable:

1998: Half-Life
1999: Team Fortress
2000: Counter-Strike
2003: Day of Defeat
2004: Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
2006: Half-Life 2: Episode One
2007: Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Portal, TF2 (dat sweet sweet 2007 @_@)
2008: Left 4 Dead
2009: Left 4 Dead 2
2011: Portal 2
2012: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
2013: Dota 2

Edit: Thinking about it, Naughty Dog definatly need to be considerd too, they seem incapable of making bad games.

1996: Crach Bandicoot
1997: Crach Bandicoot 2
1998: 
Crach Bandicoot: Warped
1999: Crash team racing
2001: Jak and Daxter
2003: Jak and Daxter II
2004: Jak 3
2005: Jak X: Combat Racing
2006: Daxter
2007: Unccharted
2009: Uncharted 2
2011: Uncharted 3, Uncharted: Golden Abyss
2012: Jak and Daxter Collection
2013: The Last of Us

Those are 15 & 17 year spans vs 7 years for the op, not really a fair comparison.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Jumpin said:

The game that not only saved the SNES, but brought it to dominance. It is probably the first mega-hyped game ever made, and it really changed the tide of the 16-bit era, not just so that Nintendo caught up to Sega, but that Nintendo sales began to so heavily surpassed Sega that they ended the 16-bit generation quite a bit ahead of the Mega Drive.

While the N64 lost the generation, this game did save the console from dwindling into obscurity early on in its lifetime. While the N64 had Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, and Lylatt Wars from Nintendo, if you were going to play games with friends, there was a very high chance that it was going to be this one. The N64 without Mario Kart would have been an obscure system with a few forgotten gems without Rare. Luckily thanks to Rare, not only was there GE007, the most played game of the generation, but there were also a number of single player gems to accompany the first party games. GE007 was to the N64 in the West as Monster Hunter was to the PSP in Japan.

I absolutely get and appreciate what you're saying, though I felt I would point a few things out from my own point of view, having lived through the 16bit era also.

1. DKC was a landmark achievement for it's time, and deserves all the praise it gets. The graphics and music were phenominal, if the gameplay itself wasn't innovative. And I certainly wouldn't argue that it helped deliver a "killing blow" from the SNES to the Genesis.

However, I would point out that the only real reason the Genesis had a lead over the SNES in the first place, was because it launched earlier, and then released Sonic the Hedgehog which became an instant popular success. But on the other hand, Super Mario World was incredibly well received and popular, especially in NA, as well. The SNES also had many things going for it that drove system sales early on, not the least of which being Street Fighter II being exclusive for a good year or two. If people wanted to play SFII at home, the SNES was the system to play it on, and that alone drove sales. The fact that you could only play games like Contra, Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Actraiser, Mega Man X, etc. on SNES also helped. Not to mention the fact that even before DKC released, major hits for Nintendo like F-Zero, Sim City, Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario Kart, Mario Paint, A Link to the Past, Earthbound, Star Fox, and Super Metroid, all of which were highly acclaimed, sold well, and helped push the system. 

2. Goldeneye was absolutely one of the single biggest hits on N64, not to mention on any system that generation. As were Banjo-Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark, etc. However, again, Nintendo themselves also had massive hits in Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, etc. before Goldeneye came out. Goldeneye CERTAINLY had a major hand in helping system sales and making a lot of folks want to own one, it was one of the "Games to Have", but then again, so were Mario 64, Mario Kart, and Ocarina of Time.

I'm not trying to downplay Rare's hand in pushing Nintendo hardware, they absolutely were a big part of Nintendo's success. In fact it's rather unfortunate that Nintendo ever sold Rare back their majority stake, or allowed Rare to sell themselves to Microsoft. That loss, while not detrimental, was certainly a big one, and Rare's presence on Gamecube, combined with their own, and Retro Studios and Silicon Knights (at the time), would have really helped. But I suppose I am just a bit resistent to the idea that Rare "saved" Nintendo's consoles. There is a stronger argument to be made that they did in fact "save" the N64, or at least helped keep it relevant. But I don't think, even as good as DKC and Killer Instinct were, that the SNES really needed "saving", and honestly it was already kind of kicking the Genesis' ass before DKC even released in late '94. Like I said, DKC definitely did help them give Sega that knockout punch, but Nintendo was rockin' fine at least in the SNES gen by themselves.

Salnax said:

Somebody already mentioned Nintendo EAD, so I'm going to honor some third parties.

I'm going to nominate Capcom during the Classical era. Let'd look at some of the games they made during the 3rd and 4th gens:

• 1989 - Ducktales, Mega Man 2, Final Fight, Ghouls n Ghosts, Strider, UN Squadron
  • 1990 - Gargoyle's Quest, Little Nemo, Mega Man 3, Darkwing Duck, Street Fighter 2010, Castle of Illusion
  • 1991 - Several Mega Man titles, Street Fighter 2, Super Ghouls n Ghosts
  • 1992 - Street Fighter 2 revisions
  • 1993 - Aladdin, Final Fight 2, Mega Man X
  • 1994 - Mega Man X2, Demon's Crest

That's over 20 notable hits in a period of six years, including a handful of what are considered some of the best or most influential games of all time.

(...)

Capcom's old days are always forgotten because their best games were in the arcades. Their output during the CPS-1 and CPS-2 days is legendary.

This is a nice thread.

It makes me even more reassured that, back then, I made the right choice picking a 64 instead of a PSX (I even came to hold one on my hands before picking the other on the shop). Nowadays, people discuss 64s games much more than they do PSXs. Also, people PLAY those games NOWADAYS much more than day do PSXs. Cut Symphony of the Night, Metal Gear and JRPGs out of the equation and you have a total massacre, quality and variation wise (I just really missed the great Shmups PSX had to offer, like Einhänder and many ones from Taito - had to borrow my friend's console for those lol).