By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 3DS/Vita comparative future release schedule

Lucas-Rio said:
Vita is pretty much a discontinued platform and software sells close to nothing on it. The games who have sold more than 500 000 on Vita must be counted with less than one hand.

To the contrary, the 3DS has a virtual monopoly now on handled sales. Like the last MC report showed, 30 games in the top 30 were 3DS games, and 3 only were on Vita.

Even the struggling Wii U and the dead PS placed more titles.

Vita is finished in 2014.

I mean no one said you had to like the psvita, but this is straight up lying, Close to nothing? Seriously? Remember this is not youtube. This is a forum where you need to back up what you say and this is by all means factually incorrect.

Are you saying that every game selling lower than 500k is close to nothing? Because there are quite a few developers who would be more than happy with 200k, as they would actually make a profit. I'm pretty sure that profit is more important than sales. Or do you think that all those developers releasing games on the vita are stupid and you're smarter than them? 

I really don't understand some people's logic. 

Around the Network

I think you forgot Dragonball Z: Battle of Z (psvita) which is being released by the end of January at least in Europe.

Rather sad to see only 2 games I actually want that are currently in development and announced for the Vita this year...

Gravity Rush 2 and Final Fantasy X I X-2 HD

I need to get a 3DS real soon.

naruball said:

Are you saying that every game selling lower than 500k is close to nothing? Because there are quite a few developers who would be more than happy with 200k, as they would actually make a profit. I'm pretty sure that profit is more important than sales.

I'm sure most of the studios supporting the Vita are quite happy with their sales, just as I'm sure most of the studios avoiding the Vita are quite confident that they're making the right choice. By VGChartz numbers, even assuming 10% digital sales for all games, only 32 titles have sold over 200k on Vita, 12 of them published by Sony. About half the remaining 20 titles are from major publishers like EA, Ubisoft, Capcom, etc.

Regardless, Sega must be happy with Hatsune Miku sales, Nippon Ichi with Disgaea/Dragon's Crown, Tecmo Koei with Toukiden, etc. It should be clear that from the perspective of many third parties, there is profit to be made on Vita, just as on smartphones and 3DS. I'll wager there are several indie developers supporting the Vita who are very happy with whatever sales they're managing, but of course we don't have those numbers.

BaldrSkies said:
http://www.kancolle-vita.com/

I don't think anyone is prepared for this incoming dreadnought.

Nicely played.

Interesting that people are skipping over this post, though.  They're going full speed ahead with KanColle in Japan.  This isn't something to dismiss lightly, provided the Vita version is worthwhile.  The anime is due in 2014 as well, I think.

The impression I get is that Sony is working very, very hard to bring content to the Vita in Japan and it looks like Kadokawa is onboard.

The Vita is far from a sinking ship.

OK, I'll stop now.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
naruball said:

Are you saying that every game selling lower than 500k is close to nothing? Because there are quite a few developers who would be more than happy with 200k, as they would actually make a profit. I'm pretty sure that profit is more important than sales.

I'm sure most of the studios supporting the Vita are quite happy with their sales, just as I'm sure most of the studios avoiding the Vita are quite confident that they're making the right choice. By VGChartz numbers, even assuming 10% digital sales for all games, only 32 titles have sold over 200k on Vita, 12 of them published by Sony. About half the remaining 20 titles are from major publishers like EA, Ubisoft, Capcom, etc.

Regardless, Sega must be happy with Hatsune Miku sales, Nippon Ichi with Disgaea/Dragon's Crown, Tecmo Koei with Toukiden, etc. It should be clear that from the perspective of many third parties, there is profit to be made on Vita, just as on smartphones and 3DS. I'll wager there are several indie developers supporting the Vita who are very happy with whatever sales they're managing, but of course we don't have those numbers.

I think 10% digital sales is too low. We don't know how much higher they are, but based on one report from Sony about 60%(?) of Vita sales being digital, sounds much better to me. They also spoke of a 10:1 attach ratio, which is, if memory serves (haven't checked) again much higher than what vgc is showing (which would make sense if digital sales are actually great). 200k was just a number I mentioned. The idea is talking about close to nothing sales is beyond silly. All that matters is that certain developers are making some kind of a profit on vita and considering the doom and gloom and low install base, they must have had success to feel confident to keep making games for it. 

Borderlands is from 2K, not Bethesda.

naruball said:

I think 10% digital sales is too low. We don't know how much higher they are, but based on one report from Sony about 60%(?) of Vita sales being digital, sounds much better to me. They also spoke of a 10:1 attach ratio, which is, if memory serves (haven't checked) again much higher than what vgc is showing (which would make sense if digital sales are actually great). 200k was just a number I mentioned. The idea is talking about close to nothing sales is beyond silly. All that matters is that certain developers are making some kind of a profit on vita and considering the doom and gloom and low install base, they must have had success to feel confident to keep making games for it. 

Those figures probably include digital sales of PSN games, and might even include downloads of games available for free through PS+. A 60% average digital/physical ratio for retail games would be pretty ridiculous on the console with the most expensive memory options of its generation. Anyway, even if we assumed 25% digital sales for all titles (I'm being more than generous at that point), the result would be unchanged: 32 games over 200k.

The rest stands though, so this amounts to little more than nitpicking. We agree on most of this. It's true Vita software sales are in general very low compared to the 3DS, but it's also true 3DS software sales are very low compared to the PS3. But we need not compare total software sales between these platforms. I don't quite see what we might learn from that. Individual Vita games are selling just fine considering the expectations of their publishers, which is what matters.

Nem said:
Borderlands is from 2K, not Bethesda.

Correct, my bad. It will be in the next fix

pezus said:
Acevil said:
pezus said:

Is not as big as Minecraft. We're looking at something like 12-18m for a modern day Pokemon game was "the sky is the limit" for Minecraft. It has already sold over 40m, if I'm not mistaken.

Hmm sorry, but can you quote be the price of Minecraft on the vita versus PC and Xboxlive. I really don't think Minecraft on Vita will sell as well as you are discussing. I still think you are joking. 

I'm not joking about Minecraft being huge. Just exaggerating the effect it will have.

It will probably be the same price as on Live and PS3 ($19.99)

Minecraft Pocket Edition has sold at least 10 million.. There are rumors of having reached 16 million..

(reached 5 million december 2012 10 million in may 2013) and on christmas day they sold 143.000.. Just that day alone

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)