By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 3DS/Vita comparative future release schedule

Justagamer said:
MikeRox said:

Yes i do. But the difference is, nobody is making lists comparing wiiu to the console leader. This is someone trying to actually make it as if the vita to the handheld leader. The wiiu is basically done, but, like the vita, will still have a few good games. But, unlike the vita, the wiiu actually has first party support. So, the wiiu will have some huge first party titles, while the vita will get some obscure third party niche titles. I've come to terms with the wiiu's position, it's about time you vita fans do the same. And I have a vita, btw. That's thing doesn't have shit for a library. Sorry.

He's not necessarily wrong you know. There are many metrics in which to rank a console. How much it's selling and how financially succesful it is, is only but one of the many ways in which to judge them. The wii outsold the ps3 and xbox 360, but you know what, I'm sure many would agree that the latter two consoles have more and better exclusives. 

And there is nothing to come to terms with for vita owners. In terms of catering to its niche, the vita is one of the best. Have you ever thought about the merits of a niche market? Just as going mainstream has its benefits, going niche has its own advantages. For one, developers have no need to cater to the mainstream market and can tailor their game to fit their audience needs. Secondly, the games have a dedicated fanbase, that means, sales of later installments are relatively stable, and there is smaller risk of flopping.

Third, since sales are more stable, developers are more willing to experiment with newer ideas, as budgets of these type of games are relatively small. Lastly, those niche developers will support the console long after its time is over. Personally, niche market >>>> mainstream, as long as I'm in that niche, of course. That''s also why anime has such a dedicated fanbase, cause it caters to the niche.

Around the Network

Update. The gap widened in Japan : currently 40 Vita projects vs 23 on 3DS

September releases :

Japan

Wow, that's a lot of games for a system with no games!

3DS gets some great games and the Vita gets a few ports and some low budget stuff. What else is new?

KLXVER said:
3DS gets some great games and the Vita gets a few ports and some low budget stuff. What else is new?

As if 3DS didn't get ports and low budget stuff... Vita owners have more choice, that's what I want to point out.

Around the Network
ryuzaki57 said:
KLXVER said:

As if 3DS didn't get ports and low budget stuff... Vita owners have more choice, that's what I want to point out.

Yeah, they can choose among alot of crap they can get elsewhere...

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

forevercloud3000 said:
the2real4mafol said:
I'm surprised to see Vita have more titles than 3DS listed. Quite sad to see how weak support for dedicated handhelds has become outside of Japan

But was it ever strong outside Japan? other than on PSP, US/EU developers always rarely made handheld titles until the smartphone boom. I cannot think of too many Western GBA games. It has always been a Japanese dominated field and fans of that are the ones that flock to it.

Thats true but i thought GBA and DS (and even PSP) especially got strong western support for a while. And also the sales were never this bad for either of them compared to the 3ds and Vita. 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

November update

3DS closed the gap in Japan : currently 43 Vita projects vs 30 on 3DS. Both get less and less support in the West, let's hope for some more announcements in 2015.

Link to releases : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WsW_0GjyCLNLC3oA7drzu9PZpaExTiyBT8Vx2ABpIbc/edit#gid=0

Unfortunately most of those Vita titles, if the actual situation persists, will never see the light of the day in the West.
Too bad. Vita´s lineup in Japan is full of excellent games, but most of them are Jrpgs/stragegy - genres that I love but most western gamers don´t

3DS lineup is just fine. Besides all the games on the chart, there´s still Tetris Ultimate, Ultimate NES Remix, Adventure Time: The Secret of the Nameless Kingdom, Fossil Fighters, Sonic Boom, and a lot of "indie" games - Treasurenauts, Gunmen Clive 2, Xeodrifter A-Train etc.

Rhonin the wizard said:

More complete lists of release dates here and here. Hamatora: Look at Smoking World announced for 3DS, releases in summer 2014 in Japan .

Great list! Thanks for posting this