By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 has passed Wii U LTD in Europe

IsawYoshi said:
Angelv577 said:
PS4 is breaking every record and it's on pace to become the most powerful console to win a generation for the first time.

Wasn't the SNES more powerful than the Genesis? And some consoles pre Nintendo (I suppose they aren't counted but SNES is still there)?

It was? , always thought the opposite.

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
Slarvax said:
MikeRox said:
Slarvax said:
Not like a big accomplishment. But whatever, great numbers for PS4! If this are correct... I still something is wrong with this week numbers.

On the plus side, it would be nice for the most powerful system to be the one with the bigger userbase and so getting more of it's full potential used. Particularly the PS2 held back that generation greatly compared with what would have been possible from Xbox or GameCube if they'd had the equivalent dominance in userbase.

I guess it would be great for the industry, but how much power difference was there between PS2 and the others? I didn't notice a huge difference. (I had PS2, one friend Xbox and another GC)

There was a pretty big difference between them. Especially the Xbox and PS2. Quite a lot of games had improved textures/framerate on the Xbox. Games such as Burnout 2 were 60fps split screen on Xbox vs 30fps on the other systems.

GCN was more difficult to call as the system had a completely different architechture. However I think Resident Evil 4 was noticibly better on GCN than PS2.

*This isn't to say the PS2 wasn't a fantastic system. It's just I do wonder what we might have seen if the GCN or Xbox became market leader that generation.

Maybe the Wii would've been stronger but same gimmick (making it the best selling system ever), Xbox 360 would've gone PS3 route (AKA: M$ knows they have a strong brand, so they'll make the best they can without thinking how it will affect their consumers) and PS3 being totally different or maybe Sony would've gone out the market (they did a profit with PS2 right? If they didn't dominate = no profit = game industry isn't favorable to Sony = Sony out of the market)

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Not surprised ...

pezus said:
PS4 already numberwang in Europe! Won't be long until it's number one in USA as well (1.7m vs. 2m)

I'm not going to commit entirely to that theory at the moment because I know how advertising and perception can distort the truth, but I'm still damned sure it's not goint to be as black and white as it was last generation.

The PS5 Exists. 

Angelv577 said:
IsawYoshi said:
Angelv577 said:
PS4 is breaking every record and it's on pace to become the most powerful console to win a generation for the first time.

Wasn't the SNES more powerful than the Genesis? And some consoles pre Nintendo (I suppose they aren't counted but SNES is still there)?

Oh, you fell for the commercials, didn't you? ;)

The only thing Genesis had that was superior was a slightly higher CPU clock.

Around the Network
Blood_Tears said:
Couple more months for PS4 (probably X1 as well) to top Wii U in overall sales. Should be a great gen for Sony and Microsoft.

lol yea right on xbox 1, the way it is selling recently with no japanese market, i dont see it selling well at all

supernihilist said:

You are using the meme wrong

Blood_Tears said:
Couple more months for PS4 (probably X1 as well) to top Wii U in overall sales. Should be a great gen for Sony and Microsoft.

Disagree about X1 here, WiiU outsold it WW last week.

X1 could top WiiU in NA/EU, but not WW.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:
Blood_Tears said:

Disagree about X1 here, WiiU outsold it WW last week.

X1 could top WiiU in NA/EU, but not WW.

We'll just have to wait and see then. If there's anything this past gen has tought me is never underestimate MS. I'm also not looking that much into a 12k difference this week between the two. Considering Wii U is almost half the price of X1. With the difference this week being the Japan bump and we all know how low Japan's console sales go throughout the year. Americans buy Xbox all year round, Japan buys Wii (U) during the holidays.

LemonSlice said:
Angelv577 said:
IsawYoshi said:
Angelv577 said:

Oh, you fell for the commercials, didn't you? ;)

The only thing Genesis had that was superior was a slightly higher CPU clock.

Too difficult to call as the Megadrive had some strong advantages over super nintendo. For a start it had a 16bit 68000 processor and a Z80A processor which was mainly used for sound but could be used for normal programming. It was higher resolution too. Snes had a  weak 8/16bit processor which was also fully 6502 compatible for NES games (but then Nintendo never bought out the cartridge adapter for NES games). The advantage of the super nintendo was its graphics chip with mode 7 and sound chip. It's unlikely the super nintendo could do the fast effortless scrolling of sonic games and visually the megadrive couldn't do everything the super nintendo could do like mode 7. There are many games available for both super nintendo and megadrive that play much better on megadrive.  The real advantage to super nintendo was the sfx chip in later cartridges which included a simple risc processor. This took the super nintendo in power terms somewhere between megadrive and 32x power.