By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 4 Exclusive Deep Down Is Truly Next Gen – Utilizes SVGI Lighting And Fluid Simulation Fire

globalisateur said:

Because I hate blurred textures/assets. And it can't be fixed on consoles anyway. On PC the only way to "fix" the blurred textures is to combine FXAA with a sharpen effect. But that will come to its own price too with invented artifacts and all the textures will have the same grainy look.

What is this sharpen effect you speak of ? 

globalisateur said:

I have again recently read a post from an enthusiast Wii U/PS3 owner that prefered the sharper version of Batman Arkham city on PS3 versus the same game with the same textures but FXAAed blurred version on Wii U. The irony in this story is that even the cheapy lousy FXAA needs GPU time so the sharper look on PS3 was less GPU expensive for the PS3 GPU. So many testimonies on Internet where people explain that they hate FXAA and try to avoid it at all cost on PC notably.

Ok now you making up lies, batman wasn't sharper on the PS3, it was sharper on the WII U. FXAA only takes about 1 millisecond to filter the image on a $100 videocard compared to 4x MSAA taking up roughly 5 miliseconds. Do you have any statistics from AMD or Nvidia to show what type of anti aliasing PC gamers prefer ? 

globalisateur said:

nd don't forget FXAA is not really designed to smooth the aliased edges (like MSAA, SMAA, MLAA or other real Anti-Aliasing technique) but only blurs every contrasted pixels whether they are aliased edges or textures sub-details. FXAA belongs to the blur algorithm family like gaussian blur or Qincunx. The future on consoles is with the morphological AA like MLAA or SMAA (Ryse).

FYI, MLAA and FXAA are virtually similar in every respect. All of these methods use edge detection for anti aliasing except for MSAA. 

globalisateur said:

I don't hate FXAA for itself, I hate the fact that developers use it lazingly too strongly. It can have a positive effect on some games ONLY if developers test the effect on assets with the level of FXAA used. You can use FXAA without blurring textures (like in Far Cry 3 on PS3, the FXAA doesn't touch the high res textures). But most developers don't bother to test that their assets are not blurred.

Developers can't go around testing out every textures. That would be insane given the amount of graphical assests that goes in games. The best way to resolve texture details would be to apply anistropic filtering because in the future games will start using bigger assets which is a cause of concern for development time and costs. 

Around the Network

you know guys, the nice thing about FTP is if it sucks you didn't waste a dime on it. i still think it looks good. i know my friend whom already got his ps4 says warframe is great. FTP doesn't automatically mean it's bad.

fatslob-:O said:

Ok now you making up lies, batman wasn't sharper on the PS3, it was sharper on the WII U. FXAA only takes about 1 millisecond to filter the image on a $100 videocard compared to 4x MSAA taking up roughly 5 miliseconds. Do you have any statistics from AMD or Nvidia to show what type of anti aliasing PC gamers prefer ?

From Eurogamer Digital foundry Batman face-off:

"The only real exception comes in the form of the addition of NVIDIA's FXAA post-processing technology. The original console versions of Arkham City operated at native 720p with no anti-aliasing employed at all so we might expect a welcome bump in image quality from the addition of the AA tech on Wii U. However, the arrival of FXAA is something of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, high contrast edges are smoothed significantly - a welcome addition. Unfortunately, on the flipside, the additional blurring detracts from the quality of the artwork, with specular highlights in particular dulled significantly."

What is this sharpen effect you speak of ?

Some PC games combine (without telling you) some sharpening effect with FXAA to "fix" the blur. That's why most PC gamers think FXAA doesn't blur textures. That's a common illusion among PC gamers.

FYI, MLAA and FXAA are virtually similar in every respect.

No, they are not. You can see FXAA like an advanced blur when MLAA and the others morphological AA like SMAA will try to smooth more precise pattern like long aliased edges and not random textures sub-details.

All of these methods use edge detection for anti aliasing except for MSAA.

MLAA is a morphological AA, it will try to dectect and smooth only aliased edges, yes. But FXAA will blur stuff everytimes it detects too much contrast between several pixels. What is too much contrast is precisely what can be modified by the developers.

It's f2p so all hope has been lost, and even worse it's capcom.

kitler53 said:
you know guys, the nice thing about FTP is if it sucks you didn't waste a dime on it. i still think it looks good. i know my friend whom already got his ps4 says warframe is great. FTP doesn't automatically mean it's bad.

But.. we are combining it with CAPCOM..

CAPCOM + F2P =

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

1080p is a must!, almost all PS4 games if not all them are 1080p, infamous SS will be 1080p, Driveclub 1080p, Watchdogs 1080p. If they release a 720p on the PS4 we will notice right away and is not going to be pretty.

IF they release this on the xbone they wouldn't notice since their eyes are use to that resolution.

Can't a game be f2p without being gimped? Aren't their systems where buying things only speeds up the process, but you can still get all those things in game if you spend some more time?

Capcom, always online and F2P. Great news, this will be a real classic. It could even reach the heights of Resident Evil 6!

I think we already knew that, it's one of the most next gen games shown with the order

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

NYANKS said:

Can't a game be f2p without being gimped? Aren't their systems where buying things only speeds up the process, but you can still get all those things in game if you spend some more time?

Is absolutely possible without any problem to play a 1080p F2P game on the PS4, if you haven't check go and download War Thunder for the PS4 the game looks beutiful, also Warframe is 1080p.  

Lately japanese developers have been pretty lazy since last gen.