By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 4 Exclusive Deep Down Is Truly Next Gen – Utilizes SVGI Lighting And Fluid Simulation Fire

globalisateur said:

From Eurogamer Digital foundry Batman face-off:

"The only real exception comes in the form of the addition of NVIDIA's FXAA post-processing technology. The original console versions of Arkham City operated at native 720p with no anti-aliasing employed at all so we might expect a welcome bump in image quality from the addition of the AA tech on Wii U. However, the arrival of FXAA is something of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, high contrast edges are smoothed significantly - a welcome addition. Unfortunately, on the flipside, the additional blurring detracts from the quality of the artwork, with specular highlights in particular dulled significantly."

The anti aliasing more than makes up for the blurring. I sure as hell don't want shimering in games. You are simply over exaggerating the bluring caused by FXAA. 

What is this sharpen effect you speak of ?

Some PC games combine (without telling you) some sharpening effect with FXAA to "fix" the blur. That's why most PC gamers think FXAA doesn't blur textures. That's a common illusion among PC gamers.

There is no such thing as a "sharpening effect". Your making shit up and this is coming from a PC gamer like myself.

FYI, MLAA and FXAA are virtually similar in every respect.

No, they are not. You can see FXAA like an advanced blur when MLAA and the others morphological AA like SMAA will try to smooth more precise pattern like long aliased edges and not random textures sub-details.

MLAA and FXAA aren't very different. Both of them have similar principles to anti aliasing but the difference lies in implementation. MLAA and MSAA aren't similar AT ALL in respect to how they approach anti aliasing!

All of these methods use edge detection for anti aliasing except for MSAA.

MLAA is a morphological AA, it will try to dectect and smooth only aliased edges, yes. But FXAA will blur stuff everytimes it detects too much contrast between several pixels. What is too much contrast is precisely what can be modified by the developers.

How do you know that MLAA will only detect aliased edges ? MLAA and FXAA are both post process anti aliasing methods. MLAA will likely also blur textures too because it also uses a similar edge detection system like FXAA. 

Anymore lies to share ? 

Around the Network

It does have some real nice effects

Pity they cut SVGI, and are just using it for select effects now not everything

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

petroleo said:
NYANKS said:

Can't a game be f2p without being gimped? Aren't their systems where buying things only speeds up the process, but you can still get all those things in game if you spend some more time?

Is absolutely possible without any problem to play a 1080p F2P game on the PS4, if you haven't check go and download War Thunder for the PS4 the game looks beutiful, also Warframe is 1080p.  

Lately japanese developers have been pretty lazy since last gen.

No I know about the graphics, I'm talking about the system.  People are mad about the microtransactions ruining f2p games.  But there must be some where you don't have to buy to play the entire game.  I hope lol

kitler53 said:
you know guys, the nice thing about FTP is if it sucks you didn't waste a dime on it. i still think it looks good. i know my friend whom already got his ps4 says warframe is great. FTP doesn't automatically mean it's bad.

Agreed, but it means it nickles and dimes the weaker minds out of more than what they would have paid for an entire game.

globalisateur said:
fatslob-:O said:
globalisateur said:
I think it really runs at 1080p (given the demos I have seen from E3) but every 1080p resolution textures/assets are 720p-ish blurred either by the horrible dev-lazy-compliant FXAA, by Depth of field or by strong heat haze effects.

Well, mainly by the horrendous FXAA in fact.

Serious post unfortunately.

Why do you have this crusade against FXAA ? It's practically imitates 4x MSAA really well without a lot of performance hits. Sure some textures may get blurred but that can easily be fixed by putting on anistropic filtering. 

Because I hate blurred textures/assets. And it can't be fixed on consoles anyway. On PC the only way to "fix" the blurred textures is to combine FXAA with a sharpen effect. But that will come to its own price too with invented artifacts and all the textures will have the same grainy look.

I have again recently read a post from an enthusiast Wii U/PS3 owner that prefered the sharper version of Batman Arkham city on PS3 versus the same game with the same textures but FXAAed blurred version on Wii U. The irony in this story is that even the cheapy lousy FXAA needs GPU time so the sharper look on PS3 was less GPU expensive for the PS3 GPU. So many testimonies on Internet where people explain that they hate FXAA and try to avoid it at all cost on PC notably.

And don't forget FXAA is not really designed to smooth the aliased edges (like MSAA, SMAA, MLAA or other real Anti-Aliasing technique) but only blurs every contrasted pixels whether they are aliased edges or textures sub-details. FXAA belongs to the blur algorithm family like gaussian blur or Qincunx. The future on consoles is with the morphological AA like MLAA or SMAA (Ryse).

I don't hate FXAA for itself, I hate the fact that developers use it lazingly too strongly. It can have a positive effect on some games ONLY if developers test the effect on assets with the level of FXAA used. You can use FXAA without blurring textures (like in Far Cry 3 on PS3, the FXAA doesn't touch the high res textures). But most developers don't bother to test that their assets are not blurred.

FXAA is a nice option since its impact on performance is inncredibly minimal, and if (HUGE if) done right smooths jaggies noticably.

Having said that it ALWAYS blurs things that shouldn't be blurred at least a little bit, and it is incredibly inferior to just about every form of AA.  In fact I am starting to become a big fan of Super Sampling for its consitancy and crazy good results...

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:
globalisateur said:
fatslob-:O said:
globalisateur said:
I think it really runs at 1080p (given the demos I have seen from E3) but every 1080p resolution textures/assets are 720p-ish blurred either by the horrible dev-lazy-compliant FXAA, by Depth of field or by strong heat haze effects.

Well, mainly by the horrendous FXAA in fact.

Serious post unfortunately.

Why do you have this crusade against FXAA ? It's practically imitates 4x MSAA really well without a lot of performance hits. Sure some textures may get blurred but that can easily be fixed by putting on anistropic filtering. 

Because I hate blurred textures/assets. And it can't be fixed on consoles anyway. On PC the only way to "fix" the blurred textures is to combine FXAA with a sharpen effect. But that will come to its own price too with invented artifacts and all the textures will have the same grainy look.

I have again recently read a post from an enthusiast Wii U/PS3 owner that prefered the sharper version of Batman Arkham city on PS3 versus the same game with the same textures but FXAAed blurred version on Wii U. The irony in this story is that even the cheapy lousy FXAA needs GPU time so the sharper look on PS3 was less GPU expensive for the PS3 GPU. So many testimonies on Internet where people explain that they hate FXAA and try to avoid it at all cost on PC notably.

And don't forget FXAA is not really designed to smooth the aliased edges (like MSAA, SMAA, MLAA or other real Anti-Aliasing technique) but only blurs every contrasted pixels whether they are aliased edges or textures sub-details. FXAA belongs to the blur algorithm family like gaussian blur or Qincunx. The future on consoles is with the morphological AA like MLAA or SMAA (Ryse).

I don't hate FXAA for itself, I hate the fact that developers use it lazingly too strongly. It can have a positive effect on some games ONLY if developers test the effect on assets with the level of FXAA used. You can use FXAA without blurring textures (like in Far Cry 3 on PS3, the FXAA doesn't touch the high res textures). But most developers don't bother to test that their assets are not blurred.

FXAA is a nice option since its impact on performance is inncredibly minimal, and if (HUGE if) done right smooths jaggies noticably.

Having said that it ALWAYS blurs things that shouldn't be blurred at least a little bit, and it is incredibly inferior to just about every form of AA.  In fact I am starting to become a big fan of Super Sampling for its consitancy and crazy good results...

So it may smooth some things out, but will definitely blur things that shouldn't be.... NEXT GEN IS HERE!!!

Holy shh at that gif. Looks superb.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Solid-Stark said:
Holy shh at that gif. Looks superb.

Pics have a way of doing that. Lol.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
2 pages and we dont have wulsufnir trashing the game ? i am surprised.

I was busy celebrating

I still don't know why people are hyped for this game... Gameplay doesn't look any good to me but lighting is nice. Aside from that....

I'm not sure about the game. It looks interesting, but I'm not a fan of F2P games.

Follow me on Instagram : YAFEAXX