By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why was Sonic Lost World reviewed so poorly??

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/sonic-lost-world

I know that VGChartz has a few Sonic experts so I wanted to ask...what gives?

Got the game for Christmas and am probably half way though it, and I just don't get it. It plays great and has some of the best platforming in a 3D sonic game to date. Music and visuals are awesome. Game flow is enjoyable and the story is the good type of cheese...

Absolutely nothing about this game is broken like in Sonic 06 or Sonic Unleashed. For what it is, no one should really review this less than 6/10 IMO, and the Meta average should be in the high 7s.

Around the Network

Cause people thought it was gonna be like Mario Galaxy and put their expectations super high and were disappointed... They should never put their expectations that high

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

It's not a bad game, but there are things that prevent it from being a great game:

-It starts good, but the level design gets hiccups later on

-Later on the levels have questionable checkpoint placement

-Motion controls on some of the Color power ups was wonky (was fixed in a recent patch)

-100 rings = No Lives, 1ups are rare, so after 20 rings collecting more is pointless (this was fixed in a recent patch)

Overall its a good game, but again not great.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Cause people thought it was gonna be like Mario Galaxy and put their expectations super high and were disappointed... They should never put their expectations that high

That sums up the Sonic review curse since the 16 bit classics. People always expect perfection...

_crazy_man_ said:
It's not a bad game, but there are things that prevent it from being a great game:

-It starts good, but the level design gets hiccups later on

-Later on the levels have questionable checkpoint placement

-Motion controls on some of the Color power ups was wonky (was fixed in a recent patch)

-100 rings = No Lives, 1ups are rare, so after 20 rings collecting more is pointless (this was fixed in a recent patch)

Overall its a good game, but again not great.

Yeah I was going to say...100 rings = life when I play it but then I saw the patch note. I guess I am not far enough to see too many hiccups. There are a few but nothing that would make me take note.

And yeah, motion controls are useless...but you can control Sonic when he gets those powerups with analog sticks just fine.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

That sums up the Sonic review curse since the 16 bit classics. People always expect perfection...

Cmon now don't forget the legendary dreamcast games, both of the Adventure games got 9/10 on most game review sites, so the curse was clearly after the Dreamcast era.

The game is fantastic so far. I just picked it up yesterday with some gift cards I got for Christmas and I'm enjoying it FAR more than SM3DW (don't really get why it's praised so much tbh). I'm having a blast playing it!

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=173221

That is my thoughts. Sonic Lost World is ultimately a disappointing Sonic game. Annoying, frustrating and boring are the top worlds that come to mind when playing this game. This is Sonic trying to be a Mario game, but SEGA does the finesse to pull that off.

I hear the big update makes it bearable, but the core remains the same.

Sonic games are compared to the greatness and perfection that is a Mario platform game. Sonic's best days were in the 1990s and 15 years has passed since the 1990s ended. Sega no longer makes game consoles.

Its a game that's trying to target two different fanbases and not quite hitting the mark for either. On the one side you have Sonic fans that want it to be faster and less Mario influenced. On the other hand you have Mario fans that expect something up to the level of "perfection" (only in quotes cause I don't think any game can be perfect) that Mario platformers usually achieve.

Unfortunately, Lost World falls into a middle ground of not quite hitting all of the notes that either fanbase expects. Therefore it got beat up on in the reviews even though it doesn't really deserve it. After this latest patch especially, the game is very enjoyable and has a lot of great ideas that I'd love to see Sega continue on with in future installments.

If they ditched the whole spherical world thing, opened the environments up a bit to allow further exploration and paths to the level's end, tighten up the parkour system and possibly reintroduce a playable Tails and/or Knuckles then I think they'll be on the right path. There's so much more I could write about what I'd like to see but I should probably stop there lol