By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - the 1080p people...

even N64 had 1080p, get it together Xbone!

Around the Network

Not sure the point of this thread....No one says 1080P is more important then gameplay..but why can;t we have both? It's 2013 1080p is pretty standard. Choose between the same game one at 720P and the other 1080p, any objective person would rather 1080p, it is a very noticeable upgrade. Its not like 1080p is going to change the gameplay lol.

If resolution doesn't matter, we can keep playing at 256 x 240 pixels on our NES Systems until all eternity. After all, its gameplay that matters, right?

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

1080 is the best type of snowboarding game.

It's not about resolution in 1080p in isolation,
a 1080p game just shows the platform had the power available for that resolution in combo with the rest of the game design decisions.
Each dev can make the best choice as to how to use what is available on each platform.
For multiplatform games, developers will simply have "left over" power on PS4 after achieving the same
gameplay features that XBone can handle, and they will choose to put that towards more resolution, FPS, effects as they best see fit.

It's about which is better: "more resolution/FPS/rendering details" or "less of the above"
XBone has to give up some of the above compared to PS4, because that's just the reality of their hardware,
that is why higher spec GPU's cost more, and why MS didn't go for a 33% smaller GPU than what they have.

If/when MS starts selling Kinect-less XBone's they can drop their price ~$100 on those bundles.
But if they want to free up the CPU/GPU resources currently dedicated to Kinect to be available for games,
that means that current and future XBone+Kinect2 owners will be unable to use those always-on
Kinect features while that hardware is "taken over" by a game utilizing it, breaking the expectation for Kinect.
This is on top of XBone's OS, which itself reserves (holds back from the game) more resources than PS4.
And yet XBone will still come up deficient in hardware power... Unlike last gen,
where each side had pros/cons, there is nothing that XBone's CPU/GPU can do that PS4's can't do (+more).

Heck, if anybody is truly happy with just the performance level of XBone, then PS4 games are free
to allocate their extra power to running calculations to develop a cure to cancer, AIDS, etc.

Around the Network
OdinHades said:
If resolution doesn't matter, we can keep playing at 256 x 240 pixels on our NES Systems until all eternity. After all, its gameplay that matters, right?

well the 3DS has almost the same resolution and it shines with it's gameplay so yeah i guess.

On my old 40'' FullHD LCD TV I see no difference between 720p and 1080p sitting 3.5-4 meters from TV.
On my old 22'' 1680x1050 LCD monitor I see the difference even between 1680x1050 and 1280x800 sitting in 1 meter.
On my new 55" FHD LED LCD TV I found that the difference between 1080p and 720p is sooo HUUGE! Sitting 3-3.5 meters away from TV.
Of course, PS4 and XO both have own cons and pros, but if you ask to choose between 1080p and 720p, I will choose the first no doubt.

OdinHades said:

Somebody says something similar in every thread about resolution.  Of course resolution matters!  And of course 1080p is definitely better than 720p!  The argument is that 720p is HD and 1080p is HD.  1080p is better but to many people, it's not as big a deal.

I was happy to have my PS3 and Xbox 360 upscale PS2 and Xbox games.  I was disappointed when the Wii U didn't upscale Wii games.  Sharper is better than the alternative. There comes a point where it doesn't matter, though.  My PC has a billion different resolution settings and I don't even know which one is best.  I just chose one that looked sharp enough for my TV and left it at that.  

1080p looks better but when the game is actually in motion, does it matter?  My TV is 42 inch LED 1080p, active 3D capable, w/ Picture in Picture, Smart apps, 5 HDMI (one on the side I just found), and 4 USBs and 240 Hz, btw. I can't give you the refresh rate since I'm at work.  

drake4 said:
SandyVGina said:
i didnt expect `1080p from nintendo, but i did from the xbox one and ps4. look PC gamers have been bragging about 1080p for years, i expected sony and microsoft to put enough power into there counsel so most games could be 1080p. it looks like Sony did, and it looks like MS got cheap and did not.

microsoft didn't go cheap though there console cost more to make then ps4, they just made horrible descisions by focusing on making a all in one entertainment device, they decided early they wanted 8 gigs of ddr3 no matter how bad it would effect the console performance,.sony was orginially gonna jusy have 2-4 gigs of fast ram, cause of how expensive it was, and there main focus was on making the best gaming console, later they decided lets just put 8 cause the price has dropped significantly by the time the console was in final planning stages.

Neither Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo will release exact manufacturing costs and they are not obligated to do so. Always take what they state with a pinch of salt, statistics are something easily manipulated especially when you don't give out any actual figures.

Yes Microsoft went cheap. They ripped out some GPU compute units so they could fit the ESRAM into the same silicon. They could easily have done 2 memory pools with 8GB of main memory and perhaps 256M/512MB of GDDR5 memory but instead they went for a low cost approach. Most of kinect processing is done by the main cpu/gpu.

There is nothing really there to justify the retail price but like any manufacturer it's in their interests to sell at the maximum price. No point selling at $400 if it still sells well at $500.

All the spec information for the Xbox One shows its very weak performance. We aren't talking wii u weak but its still disappointing. Many don't see the Xbox One price as fair for the performance on offer. Like most consoles though the real sales come when its gone through a few price reductions. I'm looking to buy at £200-250 which I think is a fair price for what is on offer. I think there is a strong chance this will be possible next year as European sales have been quite poor in mainland Europe and without a price reduction I think Microsoft will simply hand Europe to Sony on a plate, with the possible exception of the UK. However even though I'm in the UK its easy to import from mainland Europe if they are cheaper there.

d21lewis said:
OdinHades said:

Somebody says something similar in every thread about resolution.  Of course resolution matters!  And of course 1080p is definitely better than 720p!  The argument is that 720p is HD and 1080p is HD.  1080p is better but to many people, it's not as big a deal.

I was happy to have my PS3 and Xbox 360 upscale PS2 and Xbox games.  I was disappointed when the Wii U didn't upscale Wii games.  Sharper is better than the alternative. There comes a point where it doesn't matter, though.  My PC has a billion different resolution settings and I don't even know which one is best.  I just chose one that looked sharp enough for my TV and left it at that.  

1080p looks better but when the game is actually in motion, does it matter?  My TV is 42 inch LED 1080p, active 3D capable, w/ Picture in Picture, Smart apps, 5 HDMI (one on the side I just found), and 4 USBs and 240 Hz, btw. I can't give you the refresh rate since I'm at work.  

You just did.

Also, if you can tell the difference between PS2 and Xbox games before and after they were upscaled, the difference between 720p and 1080p should be like night and day to you.